Have you shipped old Life or other old magazines through Lettermail recently?

lud-4367
Community Member

Hi, 

I'm trying to sell old magazines from 50s and 60s such LIFE, Saturday Evening Post, etc. The price-wise, I think these magazines are only sellerable if I ship them trough Lettermail, but they are really huge and heavy comparing to modern magazines. However, the size and the weight of these old magazines seem to fit in a maximum oversize lettermail within Canada, but not possible for US. The only thing I need to do is to make the evenlope fit tightly to the magazine. Otherwise, it'll go over the maximum width. I've never shipped these big and heavy magazines before, so I just want to hear from someone who's been shipping them recently. Please let me know. Thanks.

P.S. Some magazines weigh more than 500g. Do have to ship them as parcel then?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I've dabbled in selling some of my old magazines. It's not extremely lucrative, unless you have some really rare magazines. Even then, those were scary to ship lettermail because they tend to attract scammers. And then I was concerned about SNAD claims from non-scammers (which is really the case for any collectibles).

In my experience, the more recent magazines featuring the trending celebrities tended to have the best sales. And recent mags that were sold out of backissues.

I have a large collection of massive Vogue, VF, and In Style magazines, and they are too expensive to ship because of their weight.

From my research, the best way to sell heavier/ larger mags is to bundle them and ship in a flat rate box. And not ship those to the US. Keep US shipping to under 500g...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re 500g yes anything over 500g has to go parcel.....

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Magazines can be shipped LetterMail through Canada Post, but if you were using USPS (some sellers use forwarders for this) you could not ship them Media Mail, because they include advertising.

Otherwise, it'll go over the maximum width.

I don't think there is a maximum width. Just the weight and thickness.

Aaaaand I'm wrong.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1392028 14.9" or 38cm  is the maximum

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Although I don't list large size magazines, for the magazines that I do list & sell, I use the oversize letter mail rate for within Canada and for USA either letter mail rate or Small Packet rate. For the heavier weight magazines(over 200 g.  but less than 2 Kg.) sending to the USA via Small Packet is the best option. For shipping magazines within Canada that are over 500 g. and/or beyond the max. size requirements, requires shipping at parcel rates.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply