How do you calculate your loses (ei fees) on ebay and paypal in total?

like say you sell something for $10. What would be your fees? and what would be your profit? and do you usually add the fees to your selling price? or are you satisfied with whatever you make after the fees? even if less than 10.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

All of the cost of the item....

All of the eBay fees....

All of the PayPal fees....

All of the other expenses....

MUST be included in the price of the item or you will be losing money!

Whatever you sell the item for you will never get to keep it all because you must account for the expenses listed above. The question of how much is left over as "profit" and if that amount is sufficient is a personal decision that only you can make.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I Kind of agree. Thanks for replying

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

(how much I want for the item + shipping cost) x 1.20 = my listed price rounded to nearest $0.99

I use "free" shipping for Canada and US, and flat rate of $5 (under 250g) / $10 (under 500g) for international shipping

20% is eBay FVF with tax, PayPal fee, and cookie jar insurance / subsidizing international shipping cost when needed
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If you're thinking about starting to sell form this account, you'll want to build a feedback count as a buyer first. Zero-feedback sellers do not instil confidence in potential buyers, and are instead a magnet for unethical types who will try to exploit what they perceived to be a lack of experience or understanding of ebay and its policies. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I Got Confused what is the 99 cents about and what is 1.20 for? LOL!
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

How much though? I mean. How much feedback count as a buyer do I need? And if I Do Local pick up sales. Why does it matter? I mean. People came from toronto a 2 hour drive to pick up something I sold at a bidding group on facebook. They didn't need any feedback. Only to meet me at a public place. No problem with that. They are trying to protect themselves as much as they can and I understand than completely. You can't be too careful these days. Unfortunately.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

ebay is way more complicated than Local Pickups via Facebook. You're talking about millions of customers potentially in every corner of the world. We had 177 as a feedback count before we dared to sell and we were still getting hit with sketchy propositions and situations that simply do NOT exist at this feedback plateau. But do whatever you like, perhaps your tolerance for risk is higher than ours here. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

The expected cost of ebay fees expressed as a percentage of sales varies depending on several variables.
1. Store subscription or free listings only? If store subscription is purchased what is the expected sell-through rate?
2. Will these low dollar items ship via Lettermail or Parcel services?

I would consider 20% of sales going to ebay and PayPal a success and is the figure I shoot for.
However, a store stocked with low dollar (under $10) merchandise in combination with a poor sell-through rate is a good way to owe ebay more dollars at the end of month than you sold.

You won't have many local pick-up sales on ebay... it's not Kijiji ... totally different experience.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Many do Local Pick ups via Ebay too. How would that be any different?
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

It doesn't take any extra effort to enable local pickup on an eBay listing so many sellers do so, that doesn't mean it's going to sell in that manner. Might happen occasionally, not often due to the fact that 99.99 % of the people that see the listing don't live anywhere close to you.

Edited to add I haven't bothered to enable local pickup for years now, had 1 local pickup prior to that time.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134wrote:
Many do Local Pick ups via Ebay too. How would that be any different?

What? Who? I've offered Local Pickup since I started selling on ebay five years ago. It doesn't change the risk I'm speaking about. 

Feel free to disregard our advice. You're not compelled to take it. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134wrote:
I Got Confused what is the 99 cents about and what is 1.20 for? LOL!

I'm not quite sure if eBay is the right selling venue for you, if you didn't get what the $0.99 and 1.20 meant... LOL!

Especially when I already explained what the 20% referred to right underneath my post. $0.99 is not as important but it's a buyer psychology thing. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

And hundreds of Help pages about How To Sell are available.

The OP should start here: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/selling-basics.html

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

yeah but now more people know about it. Which means perhaps more will bother.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

do you mean riskier than craigslist and kijiji? And No I am not disregarding anything. Just Trying to figure out your thinking process regarding that.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

thanks I will have a look after my bloodwork tomorrow
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

ok that part confused me. "sketchy propositions" Care to share an example of what you mean?
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Care to share what brings you to eBay? What are you trying to sell, and what made you decide to branch-out from the other venues where you’ve said you’ve been selling?
Message 19 of 19
latest reply