How is Local Pickup via ebay different from local pickup via kijiji for instance?

Generally speaking I mean. And when you do local pickup and cash only you usually save a lot in fees or is that not the case?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

How is Local Pickup via ebay different from local pickup via kijiji for instance?

You would save in PayPal fees if you were requiring cash but you would still pay the same percentage for eBay fees.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134wrote:

Generally speaking I mean. And when you do local pickup and cash only you usually save a lot in fees or is that not the case?

You save the paypal fee when you accept cash on pickup (30 cents + 2.9% of the total).

You save the Final-Value-Fee (10%) on the difference between shipping and picking up.

Otherwise, when your item sells you get charged the same basic Final Value Fee (10% if not a store) on the basic sale amount regardless of the delivery method.

For example: $20 item with $15 shipping or free local pickup

If mailed:

Buyer pays $35 and Seller has $2+$1.50+$1.32 (FVF+FVF shipping+PayPal) = $4.82 in fees

If picked up:

Buyer pays $20 and the Seller has $2 (FVF) = $2.00 in eBay fees

eBay does allow you to have local pickup specified as your only shipping option.

For Canada Post shipping eBay (if label bought through Shippo) has an extra 6% discount on Expedited Parcel for Canada.

-..-

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Given all the threads that you’ve created on this topic, it’s starting to look as if you’re averse to Shipping. Local Pickup only will not get you far on eBay. Is there a reason you’re not wanting to sell for Local Pickup where you have been in the past?

Local Pickup and Cash on Pickup Only is not a solid eBay business model. This is not where ebay’s Strengths lay.

What exactly do you hope to sell?
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

One major difference between Kijiji and ebay is commitment.

Once one agrees to buy something on ebay one is "committed" to doing it. Much moreso than on Kijiji (my favourite example is something I sold on Kijiji 4 times and it was still in my basement).

Once one agrees to sell something on ebay one is "committed" to doing it.

I put quotes around committed because there are ways around it but they are more complicated and costly in one way or another than they are on kijiji.

Kijiji is really meant for stuff you're planning to sell in your local community. Ebay is really meant for stuff you are planning to sell within your country or the world so to speak.

The odds of a given customer that lives close by on eBay is very much smaller than is the case on Kijiji because of the style of how each presents material for sale. That really is the difference between them from a local pickup perspective in my eyes.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Or is it Paypal to which you are averse? To sell on eBay, you are required offer and/or accept at least one form of e-payment. To the best of my recollection. You can offer Local Pickup and Cash on Pickup but it cannot be the only form of payment that you accept.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134

You may find most of your questions covered in this recent thread started by another new seller.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-Seller-Shipping-Help/m-p/394514#M88942

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Ok. I ignored my paypal fear. I opened an account. So far no issues.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks I will read
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

What is shippo? And why so expensive?
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Anything. I buy and flip stuff
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

no

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

no
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

We can’t give you good answers and advice if you can’t be more specific about what you sell, where you intend to sell it, and how you intend to send it.

More importantly, you need to actually read all the information in the links to which you’ve been given. And attempt to understand it.

Selling on eBay requires a significant investment on time and knowledge. I won’t be able to invest the time to answer your many questions going forward if you haven’t taken the time to read what you’ve been given. It takes approximately 90 seconds to read enough to learn about Shippo (it’s a consolidation of postal services platform from which we buy our labels) from the old threads and Announcements here. Search “Shippo” in the field above. Best of luck to you as you carry on.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Also, like I said in the beginning, you need to learn eBay as a customer first. Buy here. You can’t hope to do a good job selling if you don’t know what a buyer experiences. Buyers don’t care about your profits from
“flipping stuff” here, they’re looking for quality items that are well-described and arrive safely. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of extremely good advice in the Hekp pages and to be found via Search on these threads.

Read. Read and the read some more. It’s not twitter.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134wrote:
What is shippo? And why so expensive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqkTuUQGlb8

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Shippo allows you to print shipping labels at home and drop the parcel in the nearest postbox.

The prices are never higher than Canada Post counter prices and sometimes lower.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 17 of 17
latest reply