How long does Ebay take to resolve a dispute?

Buyer buys something from me, messages me and says he didn't get something I clearly stated was not included in both decription and title.  I sold him a cover only.

I tell him no refund, he can return it for a refund

He then says he wouldn't have purchased this had he known it was just the cover, which isn't my fault, so again I said if you want a refund send it back

He opens a case claiming I changed the auction description *after* it closed in order to trick him

He then says I only sent a piece of wood to fake the weight of the package, something I didn't need to do since I never claimed to sell him anything other than a paper cover

He then says he'll return the cover he claims he never got

He then says he got the item, but says I'm a scammer for selling just that item

Luckily he's not very bright and admitted to recieving the item 🙂

He's clearly lying as his own emails contradict one another.  I checked his feedback (that he left for others), and 15% of his feedback to sellers is about how they're lying or scammed him, so he's got 45 total purchased and told 7 of them they're lying or scamming, most have feedback over 1000

This case has been open now since September and Ebay has held my payment since then.  I'm not sure what is taking so long.  

Is this normal to take this long?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: How long does Ebay take to resolve a dispute?

I forgot to mention that he's stated on multiple occasions that I learned how to change auciton descriptions because of a famous youtube scam.  It's pretty insane how many times he's changed his story, this is why I'm not sure why this is taking so long.  Auction was clear, my stance was clear, he never claimed to this day package or item didn't arrive in the dispute.  His claim is that I changed the auction after it closed, something Ebay knows we can't do.  He didn't claim I wouldn't accept a return or that he didn't get it, and he admits to recieving exactly what the auction claims he would get, so I'm not sure why it's taking so long

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Have you tried and been unable to close the Dispute?

Even sellers who have a No Returns policy* can demand the return of the item before refunding.

However the seller may be told to pay for the tracked return.

Are you willing to pay for that? You can send him a pdf of a Canada Post or a USPS** shipping label.

If that isn't used, he forfeits the case.

If you haven't done it recently, open he case and look for the Chat symbol.

It's actually written and run by actual employees, unlike the subcontracted phone clerks who have no authority and a vague on details like "Canada is not a US state."

What makes it worthwhile to pay for the return shipping is his FB record. If he refuses the return and loses the case he cannot leave FB. If he is refunded, he may be able to.

While eBay doesn't use FB to assess member accounts, some of your future customers might.

But mostly you want the case closed.

*Which I think is always a mistake, but that's not today's question. And in any case, you do accept returns.

** Canada Post is straightforward, through eBay or SnapShip and USPS through Shippo. If I can do it, anybody, no matter how low skill, can.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

What type of case did they open?  Normally if the seller hasn't 'officially responded to the case....back and forth  messages don't count as an official response, the buyer can ask ebay to step in after 3 days from the request up to 21 days. I would think that eBay would close the case after that but if it has been longer than that you might want to contact eBay and ask them to close it.

There is timeline info at the following link. Have a look at 'when the buyer receives an item that doesn't match the description.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

He might just be incredibly stupid.

From another board, a seller sold two lots of a dozen each. 

He gets a case opened by an irate buyer because he only received 24 and not two dozen.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Today they closed the case and sent me an email;

CASE SUMMARY

Outcome          You were not found at fault

Ebay Customer service has issued a refund for this cae.  You don't need to do anything else.

So I assume this means I was right but it doesn't matter, it was easier for Ebay to take my money?

It's kind of confusing, they're saying I was not at fault but saying I was because they sided with the buyer.  It makes no sense. 

Is there any chance my money will be released or should I just buy a TV on Ebay and after I get it complain it wasn't a bicycle and take advantage of this loophole?  lol

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, I should note the refund went to the buyer obviously.  I just wanted to type in exactly what they sent me outside of the typo on case lol

So they said I was not at fault and awarded the buyer a refund.  I'm not sure who won, who lost, and where to go from here

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Also, can I send this feedback to a buyer or will Ebay get mad?

The 'feedback left for others' tab is highly recommended. Thank you

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

"eBay customer service has issued a refund" means that the money for the refund is coming out of eBay's pocket, not yours.

Don't think of it as a matter of who's right and who's wrong or who won or lost.  That's just going to make you crazier.

As for your question about your planned feedback comment, it's a bit tough to make a call on it without any context but it seems harmless enough.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply