How to tell eBay if a seller dies or is hospitalized?

A subject I really don’t want to think about, but I should. I have two selling accounts on eBay. If anything happened to me I have no idea how to get my accounts shut down. DH can sort of use a computer but not really well and certainly not if he was upset. I don’t know a single other person who uses eBay. Is there a phone number for situations like this? Or a Web address that  I could give to someone (like my lawyer)? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @vintagenorth - I'm sorry for the delay in my reply to this thread, I've been working on training some new folks and also helping with eBay Open and the like. 

I really like the suggestions other members have shared here. To add to it - this is a subject that CS is trained to address. They have a very clear workflow to follow, and as @rcrawford34  shared, it will take a little bit of time. 

The simplest way for your DH to begin that process if something happens to you would be to contact CS.  They can do that by either reuqesting a callback from your account, or by messaging us on social media. My preference will always be the social media route, though it would be necessary to create an account if you don't already have a Facebook or Twitter account. 

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The best way to handle this, without eBay's help, is to write a step by step instruction sheet.

Go to-> ebay.ca

Go to-> selleraccount

Sign in with passwork->mypassword

Go to-> selling (top right)

Go to-> Listings->Active Listings

Go to->Edit (below Results, left side)

Go to -> Actions (box at right at top of list)

Go to->Actions (dropdown menu-  to the right)

Click on -> End Listings.

It may be necessary to repeat the End Listings step if you have more than 25 listings.

This will put the listings into your Unsold Items list for up to 60 days.

If you are out of the hospital by them, you can relist them easily.

If you are dead, the Unsold List will purge itself.

If you owe eBay money, they can take it from Managed Payments/ your attached bank account.

Any additions or notes?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for that post vintage north, it is something I have been thinking about for a while. I am close to 79 and not in good health. My husband uses the computer a lot but has absolutely nothing with eBay.

Thank you clemowbooks, that is something I am going to do. I always think that buyers could purchase something and if there is no-one to respond, that would be bad.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi triber, clemowbooks idea is fine if you know ahead of time that you need to close down your shop, but doesn’t work if you are suddenly taken ill - or worse. Plus that would be a really big task for you with all your listings! I really am looking for a way that my husband or lawyer or someone I trust can close my stores down if I am not able to. My problem is that I don’t know anyone who is able/knows how to use eBay.

There must be an easy way like a phone call or an email that can be set up and used in an emergency situation.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I have planned this out. (I worry about everything)

What I have done is to call in to eBay to "authorize" my spouse for my account.

All my spouse needs is the phone number to call and to advise that they need to put the store on "vacation" (which is now "time away") if I'm sick, or to close the store if I'm dead. (they can do this because I authorized them).

The step by step instructions make sense to us but trust me when I tried what with my spouse it was a failure, plus eBay keeps changing things, tab names etc and one would have to remember to keep it updated every time that happens.

I recommend the use the phone number approach, it seems to be to be the simplest for technology challenged support folks as our back ups.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

That sound good, but I guess I have lost confidence a bit with eBay. Many, many calls for problems over the last few weeks, assuranced that it will be taken care of very soon over and over again. Promised call backs, not one, supposedly reported to higher authorities, no response. Can I trust them with this? I am not sure.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

At this time I do have the (expensive) advantage that I've got the Anchor store dedicated support staff so that part doesn't worry me as long as I still have access to them.

You make a good point regarding the "regular" support. A way to find out would be to call in and see if they are able to set up the authorized user aspect. If they can't do that then it wouldn't be a good sign if they were needed for illness/passing instructions.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

A few years back we lost a Family Member who sold on Ebay unexpectedly. Their account was Active with a number of Listings on it.  We did not have the Password for it and at first all we could do was watch items sell.

Quite Fustrating

We could not find any of the items. Our Family Member  knew where they were we did not. Never did find them they got lost in the Shuffle.  If we would have had access to the Account or if we had found them we would have made sure contact was made and items sent even after the Cancellation

We Contacted Ebay through email explaining what happened and it took a day or so for them to get back to us. They called us

They looked at the Account saw what was happening and froze the account but told us we had to send legal documentation (A Copy of the Death Certificate and Who The Executor Was etc)  but told us it had to be done right away  They needed this info to show that we had the Legal Right to request this.  Without Documentation on their end they were not supposed to.  If no documentation was sent anyone could ask for other Folks  Accounts to be closed 

Once received ebay closed their Account and they dealt with the customers. Some items had sold previous to their  passing by a day or so.  All were totally refunded if paid

Took about 6 months for their Account not to show on Ebay but was inactive

Now my other half and I have a List of all our accounts and info on the Net in a safe place.  When  it happens the other will have all the relevant information. If we both pass close to each other our family members know where it is

weavers

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I have planned this out. (I worry about everything)

What I have done is to call in to eBay to "authorize" my spouse for my account.

All my spouse needs is the phone number to call and to advise that they need to put the store on "vacation" (which is now "time away") if I'm sick, or to close the store if I'm dead. (they can do this because I authorized them).

The step by step instructions make sense to us but trust me when I tried what with my spouse it was a failure, plus eBay keeps changing things, tab names etc and one would have to remember to keep it updated every time that happens.

I recommend the use the phone number approach, it seems to be to be the simplest for technology challenged support folks as our back ups.

Be careful using Time Away. It has a maximum of 30 days. I had to end time away a day early then wait a few minutes then start a new Time Away for 30 days. So your listings can be active for a short time and may result in a sale. 

My eBay selling account only had less than 50 active listing so it was quick to end and restart Time Away. I don't know how long it would take Time Away for thousands of listings. 

I could be incorrect in the 30 day maximum. I found no way to extend the existing Time Away. I may be incorrect with waiting after ending Time Away and starting Time Away with new dates. Maybe you can end Time Away and start it again and it will queue it up to change dates. 

tyler@ebay

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Hi! You are correct about the 30 day maximum. I was of the mind that I'd have to do the same as you did if I ever took a 30 plus day vacation!

I guess it also means I'd have to heal quickly enough to do something within 30 days, or  that the CSR had the sense to tell my wife that she'd have to do something 30 days later if it looked like a long haul ...... having had the pleasure of being in intensive care for 5 weeks as a result of a car accident 18 years ago, it can happen in an instant.....

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

If you only have Fixed Price listings another method top get more than 30 days is to turn on the out of stock option and bulk edit the quantity available to zero.

Out of stocks will sit for at least 90 days before eBay may end them, at that point they go into your ended/unsold section where they would sit for another 90(?) days. Before Time Away when I didn't have a store I've used this method a few times for extended periods (over 50 days).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Out of stock option according to eBay help will be ended after 180 days. I have a couple of out of stock running over 90 days. I keep them because I know I have some more somewhere. Curious to see what happens when they end by eBay. Should go into unsold for 90 days.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @vintagenorth - I'm sorry for the delay in my reply to this thread, I've been working on training some new folks and also helping with eBay Open and the like. 

I really like the suggestions other members have shared here. To add to it - this is a subject that CS is trained to address. They have a very clear workflow to follow, and as @rcrawford34  shared, it will take a little bit of time. 

The simplest way for your DH to begin that process if something happens to you would be to contact CS.  They can do that by either reuqesting a callback from your account, or by messaging us on social media. My preference will always be the social media route, though it would be necessary to create an account if you don't already have a Facebook or Twitter account. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for adding your expertise Tyler! I think the best way for me is to write down how to contact CS at eBay and leave that info with my DH and in my safety deposit box. The social media idea is good but wouldn’t work for my husband. He can kind of use email but has never used social media. Actually, it might be better to leave the info with someone else!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply