I have noticed on the URL that it is unsecure, is this new?

I have noticed that the url for ebay is unsecure, is that new?

unsecure.jpg

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

@booquemeister wrote:
Wouldnt that be something if Google bought eBay

It would be something alright....something very very bad!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 41 of 64
latest reply

Have you've ever checked to see what all they do own? Amazing
Message 42 of 64
latest reply

Sorry about the grammer
Message 43 of 64
latest reply

Now, please, don't kill the messenger
Message 44 of 64
latest reply

I would be uncomfortable with Google owning eBay. They have fingers in too many pots as it is. Mapped the globe like it belongs to them and then built a top-secret offshore barge island where no laws apply.

Edit: Hang-on, I have to go answer the doorbell. Some guys in a Google car just showed up with baseball bats. Does Google own a baseball team too?
Message 45 of 64
latest reply

It's an eBay problem. The site is still unsecure, but Safari doesn't tell you that. "Ignorance is Bliss"

A simple solution is available to eBay. Don't know what their issue is. Must be all that time counting their money !!

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

Only on Chrome so far. It's an eBay problem. The site is still unsecure, but Safari doesn't tell you that. "Ignorance is Bliss"

A simple solution is available to eBay. Don't know what their issue is. Must be all that time counting their money !!
Message 47 of 64
latest reply

Just got a pop up when I signed into ebay .... something to the effect you are on and insecure site .... others and 3rd parties etc.

Browser Firefox    Apple PC

Now how long will ebay say everything good on their end .... With the past response (last week Raphal board) I have a feeling this will go in the same file as the shopping cart issue .... if we don't address it then it's not happening/an important issue.

Just another day in ebayland

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2016/9/1474386067.html

Ha-ha, I just noticed that the ecommercebytes site is shown as "not secure".  They'll want to pull up their virtual bootstraps before they begin pointing fingers at eBay.  

Not that eBay doesn't need the finger-pointing.  I think it's completely irresponsible and, well, just plain stupid, not to have been on top of this.   

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

Does Google own a baseball team too?

Yes really big teams, I'm sure, & coachs & fields & referees, &c, &c, &c. Wanta play ball?
Message 50 of 64
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2016/9/1474386067.html

Ha-ha, I just noticed that the ecommercebytes site is shown as "not secure".  They'll want to pull up their virtual bootstraps before they begin pointing fingers at eBay.  

Not that eBay doesn't need the finger-pointing.  I think it's completely irresponsible and, well, just plain stupid, not to have been on top of this.   

It's Google that are being irresponsible and just plain stupid!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 51 of 64
latest reply

Interesting that Yahoo had a security breach in 2014 and they just told us about it.  500 million accounts stolen and ebay is not taking this seriously. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/22/technology/yahoo-data-breach/

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

Yes, I read that earlier. That's Yahoo, this is eBay which had its own security breach dealt with differently.

I think perhaps you've drank from the Google cup, and it's affected your judgement of this apparent site un-security. I'm not drawing parallels between it and a mass-breach of another host two years ago.
Message 53 of 64
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

It's Google that are being irresponsible and just plain stupid! 

Well, that's true too, or maybe the more accurate adjective is "arrogant".  

But they did at least issue warnings -- I got my first one months ago, and a second in mid-summer.  The fact that I thought they were spam is beside the point.  EBay surely got the same notice, even if they and Google aren't the coziest of pals.  

The problem is not the actual security state of eBay's sites, but the perception by buyers who use Chrome to get to eBay.  Most won't understand that a flag on the URL saying "insecure" is nothing to be concerned about, especially if they recall the hacking incident here a couple of years ago.  EBay needs to deal with the issue in whatever way is necessary -- and soon -- in order to proactively manage the optics that could seriously affect sellers' businesses.  

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

Hi Rose-dee, 

The problem is not the actual security state of eBay's sites, but the perception by buyers who use Chrome to get to eBay.  Most won't understand that a flag on the URL saying "insecure" is nothing to be concerned about, especially if they recall the hacking incident here a couple of years ago.  EBay needs to deal with the issue in whatever way is necessary -- and soon -- in order to proactively manage the optics that could seriously affect sellers' businesses.  

I couldn't have said it better myself, especially in light of yahoo being hacked.  What should concern all sellers is what the buyers will do when they see that not secure symbol in the url.  

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

Thank you for this valuable information. Consider me schooled.

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

The lack of https makes your browsing habits, and any information displayed, available to any person inclined to eavesdrop or spy on you.  Such as Marketers, the IT department at your job, your Internet Service Provider, malicious Hackers, and the NSA.

If you go on eBay at work for example, its possible for IT department to be able to read and log every page you view.

Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will be able to do the same.

The NSA or hackers, with a little work, can do the same as well.

Without encryption, you are pretty much wide open to anyone wishing to monitor or hack your information.

For this reason I am going to back off on browsing ebay and getting their emails, and just do an "in and out" type shopping.

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

Disappointed that ebay admin has no responses in this feed. 

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

When this thread was originally created (September 2016), we only had one eBay.CA rep who came to these boards (Raphael) and he only came for the Weekly Chat Sessions every Wednesday. He left around the same time as the last post in this thread (December 2016). It has only been in the past few weeks that other eBay.CA reps have come into the fold (and in at least one case, return). Essentially, there was no "ebay admin" available when this thread was "live" to comment.

Now that you have bumped this old thread back to the top of the boards, perhaps a current eBay.CA rep will see the thread and be able to comment on it.
Message 59 of 64
latest reply

Howdy all - this is something we've been working on over the past several months, culminating in our announcement (http://pages.fp3002.qa.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017summer/listing-policy-updates.html) that will exclusively use the HTTPS communications protocol. While we had been using it for years for transmission of most sensitive information, we're expanding it to cover the entire site. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 60 of 64
latest reply