Increase in non-payments?

Has anyone noticed an increase in people giving offers and not paying for the items?

I've had three or four this month.  I usually get two a year.

All but one came from established accounts.

I'll accept the offer, send them an invoice or a message after a time and they never reply.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I think people are "shopping" more for discretionary spending items.

My guess is that they put a few offers out and take the best one, although they probably don't realize that's not a good thing to do to keep your account in good standing when they get cases out of the ones they don't pay for.

I've had more than normal requests for splitting lots, deals etc than is normal in the last few weeks.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

When you see one, you notice the next.

Best Offer is like auctions, with added haggling. It does not surprise me if, like auctions, there are more Unpaids than with Fixed Price listings.

Can we open UIDs on unpaid accepted Best Offers? Since the transaction immediately shows as a Purchase, I would think we can.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I was wondering if it was just me.

I'm a patient person. I wait until Ebay says I can cancel without reprecussions, but this means buyers get a strike added to their account.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

No, no increase in offers with subsequent non-payment... I don't use the best offer feature.

However, have seen an increase in bid retractions and/or request to cancel a bid and cancellations of  sales...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Can we open UIDs on unpaid accepted Best Offers? Since the transaction immediately shows as a Purchase, I would think we can.

Sure, I did twice this month. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@needsmorerobots wrote:

Has anyone noticed an increase in people giving offers and not paying for the items?

I've had three or four this month.  I usually get two a year.

All but one came from established accounts.

I'll accept the offer, send them an invoice or a message after a time and they never reply.

@needsmorerobots 

Not sure if this worth of a new post but 2 buyers have advised me in the past week that payments with PayPal are taking longer to process.

In checking a credit that was processed using PayPal yesterday, the balance shows the amount has been transacted but is not accessible as of today for removal. In the past funds showed almost immediately to PayPal.

According to the recent email (posted in a separate discussion) from Shippo going forward the charges (in Canada) have to paid with CC only. Not via a Canadian bank.

Starting June 2023, PayPal will no longer be a supported payment method on Shippo. To continue purchasing labels without disruption, we recommend switching to an alternative payment method.

• Credit/Debit Card Payments - We accept all major credit and debit cards, including Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
  • ACH Direct Billing - Pay directly via bank transfer. Please reach out to our customer support team in order to connect your bank account and set up this payment method.

As for the posted issue by @needsmorerobots with buyers not paying, it could be just payments taking longer to arrive to the seller.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I had two non-payments this month, I typically get one every few months. They were not for offers though, just regular sales. I also had one cancellation request with reason "didn't realize I was in Canada and it would take too long to arrive".

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I had two non-payments this month, I typically get one every few months. They were not for offers though, just regular sales. I also had one cancellation request with reason "didn't realize I was in Canada and it would take too long to arrive".

@msau4301 

When you think about it, it's a bit bizarre that 5 to 8 days as per ebay's  forcast (generic estimate) is considered too long for shipping to the USA from Canada (by most US customers) compared to the routine 25 to 35 days from USA to Canada with the multitude of hiccups included. Doesn't help the majority of US sellers are able to offer 1/2/3/4 day + free shipping within the USA. Something very difficult for Canadian sellers to do domestically or even regionally. Wonder how often US sellers pass on postage savings to customers? I know I have never gotten a refund from a US seller. 

-Lotz

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

There was a Buyer post on dotCOM last week from a guy who was upset that of his four purchases on Sunday the 18th only two had been received by Thursday.
Note that Juneteenth is a federal holiday and the PO would not be working.

Two day delivery was not fast enough for him. (And of course, he was calling it four days.)

Message 10 of 10
latest reply