Is Canada Post making stuff up to deny damage claims?

Hi!

I sold a 300$ item to a buyer in the US.

The item arrived damaged. Buyer agreed to a 50% partial refund and keep the item.

I made a claim with Canada Post since I had insured the package.

Buyer was super cooperative with Canada Post providing all the information pictures of the item, of the box, shipping label (which she took before disposing of the packaging).

They are now denying it because the buyer disposed of the shipping box and did not take pictures of the interior of the box (what??).

This really seems to me like they're making stuff up to deny my claim. My buyer already did more than what can be expected of her.

Is this normal?

Should I call to speak with a supervisor about this?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Depending on who you get they can be awful. Even getting a different person when you call back may fix it.

My experience going to supervisors has not normally helped.

What has helped is my awesome relationship with the various postmaster(s) here in my wee tiny village. They've gone to bat for me a number of times over stupid stuff like this and helped a lot over the years.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Yeah... unfortunately I don't have any relationship with postmasters here.

But from my post, do you think its normal of them to go as far as to ask for pictures of "the interior of the shipping box"?

I really thought my buyer did more than expected of her by providing all those pictures of the damaged item, shipping box, shipping label.

This doesn't sound reasonable at all... Please tell me if I'm the one who's unreasonable here. It is common knowledge or written anywhere that you need to have pictures of "the interior of the shipping box" to make a damage claim?

Cause I'm about to call them and raise hell. I mean what's the point of buying insurance if they do this anyway?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Well, the way I approach stuff like this is perhaps different from many, but I try to do the same thing I do with customers.

I put what I really feel like saying into the back of my head (something like !!@$@#%^@#$%$%^#@$%@$) and I remain calm cool and polite with the support people on the phone.

If it were me in this situation, I would, when I call back, let the support person on the phone know that the buyer had been very supportive of providing information, but because you've rarely (or never) had this kind of situation before, unfortunately nobody had the idea to take pictures of the box before it was discarded. The customer was naturally most worried about the damage to the item.

It might work, it might not, hopefully you'll be lucky and have a more understanding person on the phone when you call back.

Let us know what happens!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Hi!

I sold a 300$ item to a buyer in the US.

The item arrived damaged. Buyer agreed to a 50% partial refund and keep the item.

I made a claim with Canada Post since I had insured the package.

Buyer was super cooperative with Canada Post providing all the information pictures of the item, of the box, shipping label (which she took before disposing of the packaging).

They are now denying it because the buyer disposed of the shipping box and did not take pictures of the interior of the box (what??).

This really seems to me like they're making stuff up to deny my claim. My buyer already did more than what can be expected of her.

Is this normal?

Should I call to speak with a supervisor about this?

Nothing should have been discarded until the claim was finalized.

If it was damaged, why would the buyer accept a 50% refund. What was it?

I seriously doubt CP will let you file a partial claim as it looks suspicious

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I had the same thought. I know that in the rare instances where I received a damaged item, I kept everything until it was settled.

*However*, with that said, did the photos of the exterior of the box proved damage to said box? If so, I would certainly call. If the box is in pieces or shows considerable damage, they should not ask for anything else. Pictures of the interior are really worthless if the box is damaged outside as well as the item.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

I had the same thought. I know that in the rare instances where I received a damaged item, I kept everything until it was settled.

*However*, with that said, did the photos of the exterior of the box proved damage to said box? If so, I would certainly call. If the box is in pieces or shows considerable damage, they should not ask for anything else. Pictures of the interior are really worthless if the box is damaged outside as well as the item.

But, how does anyone know who damaged the box or when it was damaged.

For all we know, the buyer damaged it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I found the Post Office horrendous to deal with when I had a damage claim which wasn't the standard $50 or less.  My buyer was with me every step of the way and we had packaging and photos etc.:  Everything they asked for and needed to process the claim.

They were out of bounds sleazy about the claim.  

They denied getting my claims and emails.  Claimed to have contacted my buyer several times when they did no such thing.  They kept closing the case (3 times) without even investigating and I'd be forced to make phone calls etc. to have it re-opened.  They didn't hesitate to lie to me every step of the way and I know they were lying because I was in close contact with my buyer.

They'd decided the outcome without even glancing at the details.  I paid a lot of money for insurance and then spent a lot of time trying to get them to honour my claim.   In the end the whole process left me feeling very bitter towards them.  If they don't intend to honour claims they shouldn't sell insurance.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It happened to me so often lately.  It seems that more and more Canada Post don't want to pay $$$ to the sellers.  

Two times Canada Post closed it right away claiming that the buyers never responded.  I contacted the buyers and they said they never got email from Canada Post!  What a liar Canada Post is!!  It is very clearly Canada Post don't want to refund us.

Of course my being very stubborn than the donkey, I refused to give up and demanded to talk to the supervisor each time.  Sometimes I wonder what is the point paying for the insurance if Canada Post didn't want to refund us but each time I don't give as we have rights to file claim and get the refunds. 

Just don't give up and get the right person at Canada Post to speak to.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply