Is eBay Just Looking For Ways To Insult Our Intelligence?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Warning, mini rant ahead and while this might not seem like a big deal to others, it's something that infuriates me.

I'm not sure when this started, but over the past couple of weeks whenever I have logged in, I get a message popup: "Oops that's not a match" then they want me to re-enter my password with the number code they show below, like a captcha. Since we all make mistakes and I may have typed it in too quickly, I have obligingly re entered my password and then the code to verify and I get in just fine. But, since it happens every time I log in, I know darn well I am not making a mistake every time. So today, I carefully watched my fingers and no, I most certainly am not making any mistake and it is most certainly a "match". I haven't made any changes or had any problems with my account so this isn't because of something I've done.

Here's my problem: if you want to introduce new security measures then fine, by all means, it protects our accounts but don't sit there and blatantly lie to me and tell me I have made a mistake. Just popup with a message that says, truthfully, "for extra security...etc".

Don't insult us by implying we made a mistake. That's just not okay.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I am having the same problem as you for the last 2 days. eBay constantly wants me to sign in. And it is not accepting my password. Says it doesn't match either. Why doesn't eBay spend their time fixing all the glitches on their site instead of making all these new policy changes.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Since it is affecting multiple folks...this is a good one to bring to the attention of tyler@ebay 

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I haven't encountered this on eBay but possibly that is because I am only a buyer and don't log into a selling account.  I do however hate captcha boxes particularly ones where you have to tick off boxes containing certain items.  Such as "Tick off all of the boxes containing cars" however one of the boxes contains an suv or panel van and you have to decide whether or not the website considers that a car. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I'm having kind of the same problem, I can log into my account but I am trying to leave feedback so it wants me to enter my password again and when I do it's "not a match" and no matter how many times I try it still won't work - I even did a forgot my password deal and changed it and same problem - very buggy ebay!

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Thankfully I've not yet encountered any captchas. The  frequent logins on mobile are an irritation, don't know the reason for it but those always require two attempts and it seems I'm required to logon much too frequently. The first attempt fails every time. I always make sure the "keep me logged in" box is checked but that seems not to matter these days.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Same problem here.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I had the same problem happen yesterday when going from the overview page to the feedback page. Reentered my password and everything seems ok now. Something must have happened for it to effect this many folks. Sounds like Tyler needs to investigate this pronto.
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Computers are not capable of insults!

Yeah I've had the login issues recently, also had them over on PayPal, and interestingly a similar issue getting into my credit card account (totally unrelated to eBay or PayPal) and a couple of other sites over the past few days.

I have not seen the captcha thing on eBay........

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I am with you, friends!

eBay sign in, leaving feedback and Paypal struggle

Seems are crowd is growing... 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @ricarmic!

Hi everyone - will you please confirm for me a few things so I can get this reported properly? 

• Which site is this happening with (.com, .ca, .co.uk, etc)
  • What browser are you using?
  • Do you use a VPN?

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Hi Tyler,  It has been happening on both eBay.ca & eBay.com.  I use Firefox or Chrome as a browser. I do not use VPN.  Thanks

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Just happened when I tried to go from an auction listing to the buyers feedback page to check the country they are in. Got a page with red lettering saying something about an invalid user name. I hit the back button back to my listing but had to sign in again before I could go to the overview page. This happened on .ca. I use the Firefox browser. I do not use a VPN.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I am seeing it too, even when I came on here it wanted me to sign in, I ignored it and here I use chrome

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

I am on ca., but tried .com when was not able to add a feedback
I am on Chrome
VPN is used to display one image in the description area
Message 15 of 32
latest reply

Is this happening on both mobiles and desktops?

With mobiles, there is, I understand, more of a problem with wandering phishers.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I'm on a desktop.
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Also with Chrome without VPN on a PC on dot ca. In the past hour, it's alternated logging in and not logging in with my standard password more than 10 times. As of yet have not been "privileged" to require the Captiva bonus feature....Fortunately!!!

-Lotz

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

eBay appears to be making adjustments.

Came to the community this morning.  Got to the site, but no list of discussions was available.

Had to go to the top of the page, click on Discussions and then click on Seller Central, and I was here....

------------------------------------

Also tried to view my Feedback yesterday  (or was it Monday) and I was told  I did something wrong....  This was on eBay Canada.

No problem on eBay.com... Got to my Feedback without problems.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Ebay has been really "buggy" the past few days. As well I noticed something new when logging in today. The boxes where you enter your login info are now highlighted in yellow. Anyone else seeing this change?
Message 20 of 32
latest reply