New Shipping Discounts with eBay Labels

Saw this email this morning, thought I'd share it if anyone may be interested and didn't get the email, decent discount:

Upcoming rate changes for Canada Post shipping on eBay Labels

eBay Canada is updating the rates available to sellers printing Canada Post shipping through eBay Labels.

Previously, sellers using eBay Labels received Canada Post rates equivalent to the Solution for Small Business Level 1 discounts. Beginning April 27, all Canada Post shipping rates purchased on eBay Labels will be equivalent to Solution for Small Business Level 4 discounts.

These new rates are automatically applied to all sellers purchasing through eBay Labels

See an overview of select services with their new discounts below. Click here for a comprehensive overview of the new rates for all Canada Post services.

Service Previous Discounts Discounts starting April 27

Domestic Expedited Parcel

Up to 11%

Up to 32%

Tracked Packet to US

Up to 40%

Up to 43%

Expedited Parcel to US

Up to 11%

Up to 20%

Tracked Packet International

Up to 45%

Up to 53%

Xpresspost International

Up to 45%

Up to 53%

Discounts vary based on the location of both buyer and seller. Tax and fuel surcharges may apply.

Message 1 of 100
latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

@triber wrote:

Does anyone know if this will apply to Snapship?

I can't imagine it would; SnapShip is Canada Post's in-house label printing platform, I don't know why they would automatically just give everyone a Level 4 discount. It would make the discount tiers meaningless.

I have to imagine this is a deal that eBay worked out with Canada Post directly and specifically for their platform. Kudos to them, this is actually pretty huge news.

Where was it announced that Shippo would also be getting Level 4 discounts? Usually they're quick to send out email updates but I haven't seen anything. 

Message 21 of 100
latest reply

Yea, I used to ship letter mail to the USA until I had a bunch returned by customs due to the merchandise thing! and my post office feels all letters (I use a paper envelope not bubble) and knows who I am, so that doesnt work so well either!

Closest red box is 15 mins from my small town, so also not great! lol

Message 22 of 100
latest reply

Canada Post specifically states that goods/merchandise DO NOT qualify as letter mail to the USA and International destinations and thusly have ever right to reject/returrn any non-conforming envelopes disguised as lettermail.

Accepting, adjusting and adapting to shipping via  Small Packet/Tracked Packet to the USA and International destinations is the solution.

Message 23 of 100
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Canada Post specifically states that goods/merchandise DO NOT qualify as letter mail to the USA and International destinations and thusly have ever right to reject/returrn any non-conforming envelopes disguised as lettermail.

Accepting, adjusting and adapting to shipping via  Small Packet/Tracked Packet to the USA and International destinations is the solution.

Yeah and I already have, I was just replying to someone telling me I should mail with letterpost, which I used to pre  July 2022. I don't anymore since the recent crackdown with the letter post and customs, also the UR code has won me 2 INR claims so thats a bonus.

Would be great if I didnt live so far away from a chit chats loacation but thats also not an option as thats 30-35 mins each way and the minimal savings isnt worth it, so small packets it is. If someone wants my item the will pay the price, if not then nothing much I can do at that point!

Message 24 of 100
latest reply

but there is no place to enter the IOSS number to state that the VAT has been paid. Where do I add that as my buyers will be charged twice.?

Do you have a pen? Write it on the label.

Not everything is computerized.

Message 25 of 100
latest reply

Yes, Everything is computerized in the IOSS world and writing on the label does not count. If it is not electronically sent my buyers have been and will be charged twice- and I get the backlash and can't blame them. I have gone through this several times with different receiving countries in Europe. If I can't add the IOSS numbers to the electronic label to countries in Europe I will have to use the CP Snapship which seems to work most of the time for these types of mailings.

Message 26 of 100
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Great news!

devon@ebay   The 'click here link for a comprehensive overview' in the message doesn't appear to be working.  It just brings me to

https://www.ebay.com/?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=0&mkcid=27&bu=43760009886&osub=06c5eae563e3cc7ed466d9ad6...

Hi @pjcdn2005! Thanks for letting me know on this. I will get this over to the Shipping team to have them update the link. 

Message 27 of 100
latest reply

Of course.  The one time eBay does something useful for sellers lol is something i already have.  You can litterally just sign up for a level 4 small buisness discount anytime for free.  Oh well, good for everyone else I guess.

Message 28 of 100
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@38e_avenue wrote:

Shippo confirms  the new rates will be automatically apllied, so we all are at CP 4th level now! 😃 

@38e_avenue 

devon@ebay 

Now to get a confirmation from eBay the discounted rate can be available to the buyer vs having a necessity to refund to appease buyers. As noted in a previous post if the buyers do not see the specific discount they will run to the hills. And the discount varies based on the particular service so you cannot use a 1 size fits all discount in settings.

-Lotz

devon@ebay 

I have to agree that the one size fits all discount does not work well. The US site does give sellers the choise   of having the buyer see the commercial discounted rate or the retail rate. We should have that option here.  I know a lot of US use the retail rate to cover handling fees and the fvf on shipping.  That should be  the seller's decision on how they want to handle that.

Sellers should also have the option of deciding if they want to offer the discounted rate on different services.   A seller may choose to show Fedex discounted rate and Canada Post retail rates.  The discounted rates for postal rates and courier rates are separate on .com.

Hi @pjcdn2005! Thank you for your feedback on this. I know the Shipping team is looking closely at this new change and I will be sure to have this entire thread shared with them and I wil share any insight that they have.  

Message 29 of 100
latest reply

@ericsells75 wrote:

Will the rate shown to buyers be adjusted to show the level 4 discounts? This is really important to know.

Yes - This is very important to know! - I currently discount my shipping to account for the discounted rate I get via Shippo so I will need to adjust otherwise this will actually end up costing me. 

devon@ebay Can you confirm if listings will automatically update to reflect the discounted shipping proce on the 27th?

Hi @ericsells75! Let me reach out and confirm on this and I will let you know once I hear back.  

Message 30 of 100
latest reply

I also have no alternative to Canada Post so therefore am really grateful for this new pact with eBay and Canada Post. I was already using Tracked Packet instead of Small Packet as the rates were not significantly different as of the past 6 months.

Canadian sellers have never been able to compete with the cheaper USA postal rates but over the years the gap has been closing and especially here on eBay whereby USA sellers use(that very despised by Canadian buyers)GSP aka eBay's International shipping

...and yes If someone really wants an item they will pay the price...buyers' choice...

Message 31 of 100
latest reply

@ericsells75 wrote:

Will the rate shown to buyers be adjusted to show the level 4 discounts? This is really important to know.

Yes - This is very important to know! - I currently discount my shipping to account for the discounted rate I get via Shippo so I will need to adjust otherwise this will actually end up costing me. 

devon@ebay Can you confirm if listings will automatically update to reflect the discounted shipping proce on the 27th?

@ericsells75 The new discounts would reflect when a seller attempts to buy labels on eBay, they would then be charged the new L4 rates. 

Message 32 of 100
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Where was it announced that Shippo would also be getting Level 4 discounts? Usually they're quick to send out email updates but I haven't seen anything. 

I got that confirmation in a private message from Shippo team. I think (hope) all CP needs to apply the discounted rate is the confirmation the order comes from Ebay, which is the case in printing both labels - through Ebay or Shippo.  

BTW, Shippo MUST adjust, otherwise people will massively leave. 

Message 33 of 100
latest reply

@joels-retrocade wrote:

Of course.  The one time eBay does something useful for sellers lol is something i already have.  You can litterally just sign up for a level 4 small buisness discount anytime for free.  Oh well, good for everyone else I guess.

@joels-retrocade 

For many sellers level 4 is a dream world scenario. Took me forever to get and then quickly lose to meet the requirement.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682437733726.png

-Lotz

Message 34 of 100
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Saw this email this morning, thought I'd share it if anyone may be interested and didn't get the email, decent discount:

Upcoming rate changes for Canada Post shipping on eBay Labels

eBay Canada is updating the rates available to sellers printing Canada Post shipping through eBay Labels.

Previously, sellers using eBay Labels received Canada Post rates equivalent to the Solution for Small Business Level 1 discounts. Beginning April 27, all Canada Post shipping rates purchased on eBay Labels will be equivalent to Solution for Small Business Level 4 discounts.

These new rates are automatically applied to all sellers purchasing through eBay Labels

See an overview of select services with their new discounts below. Click here for a comprehensive overview of the new rates for all Canada Post services.

Service Previous Discounts Discounts starting April 27

Domestic Expedited Parcel

Up to 11%

Up to 32%

Tracked Packet to US

Up to 40%

Up to 43%

Expedited Parcel to US

Up to 11%

Up to 20%

Tracked Packet International

Up to 45%

Up to 53%

Xpresspost International

Up to 45%

Up to 53%

Discounts vary based on the location of both buyer and seller. Tax and fuel surcharges may apply.

devon@ebay 

@msau4301 

@38e_avenue 

@mrdutch1001 

@joels-retrocade 

@dinomitesales 

@ericsells75 

@flipistics 

@pjcdn2005 

The new rates have been turned on at eBay Labels but not as of yet (April 25/2023) with Shippo. In confirming with the eBay calculator it still displays the counter rates. For a 100 gram parcel from Calgary to Brockville Ont system is quoting 24.80 (Expedited) with the calculator. At  eBay Labels the rate shows as 19.75. (As far as I know ebay labels does not display the specific discount just the applicable %). For shippo the rate would be 24.70 less  the 1.85 savings for a total of 22.85. Difference of $3. 40 between the 2 systems. Not really chicken feed.  For anyone wanting to pass on the savings to their buyers this would require refunding until the buyer can see the new discounted rate.

-Lotz

Message at the top of ebay labels today:

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682441390681.png

Message 35 of 100
latest reply

I think the shipping calculator always showed counter rates because there would be no way of (eBay) knowing what method seller would use (ie. going to the counter directly, buying from Canada Post site, Shippo, or other) so they show highest amount since it would have to be the same price for everybody using the calculator regardless. The few dollars difference I used as my handling charge (boxes, bubble wrap, etc.) since I have no handling charge included in the price.

A few months back my printer maintenance box died and I had no printer for a few days until new one came in. I ended up having to go to post office and use those counter rates so I was thankful that was the amount the buyer had paid. You just never know! (And let's face it we need to cover some of those fees on shipping!)

Thanks for the heads up the promotion started early (today), it was advertised as starting on the 27th, interesteing it is showing 2 days early.

Message 36 of 100
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I think the shipping calculator always showed counter rates because there would be no way of (eBay) knowing what method seller would use (ie. going to the counter directly, buying from Canada Post site, Shippo, or other) so they show highest amount since it would have to be the same price for everybody using the calculator regardless. The few dollars difference I used as my handling charge (boxes, bubble wrap, etc.) since I have no handling charge included in the price.

A few months back my printer maintenance box died and I had no printer for a few days until new one came in. I ended up having to go to post office and use those counter rates so I was thankful that was the amount the buyer had paid. You just never know! (And let's face it we need to cover some of those fees on shipping!)

Thanks for the heads up the promotion started early (today), it was advertised as starting on the 27th, interesteing it is showing 2 days early.

@msau4301 

The explanation has always been that eBay shows the counter rate. Just how it is. The confusion on that would be then why does expedited show up as an option for Canada. It is not available without a discount. (On a few past occasions, being in the line up I've had customers in front of me mailing parcels in Canada. Was able to let them use my card to get the expedited service. They were most appreciative.) (Disclaimer. This all depends on how cooperative the clerk is in letting you use. Not all will permit. ) 

As someone else suggested/explained there should be a way to turn on the discounted view. Apparently that is available to US buyers. If you use the eBay tool i mentioned in my Fedex discussion (designed for sellers....not buyers) there is a tab to compare counter rates vs discounted rates for both Fedex and CP so it is doable.

Until this is figured out sellers are going to have to somehow express that rate buyer sees is not really accurate. (if they so choose). Would be easier if this were properly fixed and then buyers would be more likely to buy vs running away when they see whackadoodle CP shipping amounts. 

-Lotz

Message 37 of 100
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

The new rates have been turned on at eBay Labels but not as of yet (April 25/2023) with Shippo. In confirming with the eBay calculator it still displays the counter rates. For a 100 gram parcel from Calgary to Brockville Ont system is quoting 24.80 (Expedited) with the calculator. At  eBay Labels the rate shows as 19.75. (As far as I know ebay labels does not display the specific discount just the applicable %). For shippo the rate would be 24.70 less  the 1.85 savings for a total of 22.85. Difference of $3. 40 between the 2 systems. Not really chicken feed.  For anyone wanting to pass on the savings to their buyers this would require refunding until the buyer can see the new discounted rate.

-Lotz

Are we certain that the over the counter SFSB discount hasn't changed as well?

On Friday I had a U.S. Tracked Packet with a couple of booklets of stamps that I had priced out in me wee old noggin as approximately $45 with Fuel Surcharge + GST. And then, my receipt showed this:

SFSB-discount_2923-04-17.jpg

Where else could that SFSB savings of $7.24 on a $45.00 purchase have come from? It certainly wasn't the stamps...

Message 38 of 100
latest reply

@doc_scribe 

@dinomitesales 

Interesting!! No idea. I haven't purchased parcel postage at the post office with my card in ages. The only change I was aware of was online discount matched counter discount effective a few months ago.

-Lotz

Message 39 of 100
latest reply

I use flat rate shipping for everything on eBay and my other selling sites and my buyers see the shipping cost as whatever I quote it as in my listings...I rarely have to refund as my shipping costs have been very well refined over the years...I may choose to adjust my shipping costs from time to time to reflect savings but otherwise it's buyer's choice...pay my price or not.....

Message 40 of 100
latest reply