OMG a buyer is asking about where his CD is and it has only been 4 working days Vancouver to ONT.

I was contacted by a buyer today who purchased something from me on Feb 7, it was sent on Feb 8.  Vancouver to Ontario oversize letter mail.   It was listed on .com using economy shipping.  There is no specific date to be received by the buyer on the order.  The buyer stated where is his CD as ebay said he would receive it on the 14th.  

I responded to the buyer that I was sorry he had not received it but it was sent oversize letter mail which in my experience takes 10 days from Vancouver to Ontario as it goes by truck.  I asked him to send him me a screen shot as that was totally wrong and he responded something like this.  

Don't ask me to send shots of any kind.   The truth is in front of you on Ebay.   If you don't know how Ebay works that's not my problem.  If I don't receive the order by tomorrow Feb 15 I will escalate an ITEM NOT RECEIVED claim.

What do I do now?  

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: OMG a buyer is asking about where his CD is and it has only been 4 working days Vancouver to ONT

Hi, thanks for working on this.

Is this enough?  I could get more.

Basically it is any Cdn seller listing on .com that will be affected as we can only use, standard shipping, economy shipping and expedited. 

Message 41 of 78
latest reply

Re: OMG a buyer is asking about where his CD is and it has only been 4 working days Vancouver to ONT

The ones I showed previously were CD's.  Here is an assortment of other items that are caught in the same trap.  If a Canadian buys from them, the seller has 7 calendar days from date of payment to get the product to the buyer, no handling time allowed, weekends and holidays are included in that 7 days, do not pass go.    All different sellers in Canada, all different products. 

Message 42 of 78
latest reply

While doing my research, there was a Cdn seller listing on .com which used USPS Priority Mail International which gives 9 to 13 days delivery to a Canadian address.  That sounds good to me, now I am going to change all the listings to that.   

I will still push for them to have a date for the economy or standing shipping as 7 days are ridiculous. 

Message 43 of 78
latest reply

I clicked on some random listings that you've provided and I finally get what you mean...no specific time frame and date.

Take this listing for example - 302498367245. A Canadian seller, on the .com website. I am a Canadian buyer, and even though we are in the same country, I don't know why they consider me otherwise as I am getting info like "FREE Standard International Shipping" and "Delivery: Varies for items shipped from an international location".

My question now is who is considered at an international location...lol...we're both technically in Canada. It seems like I'm being logged as a US buyer. When I change the country of delivery to the States, and enter a zip code, I am updated with a "standard shipping from outside US" with an estimated delivery date between Feb. 23 and Mar. 5 - which makes me look like a legit potential buyer from the States now purchasing from a Canadian seller on .com.

Confusing isn't it...
Message 44 of 78
latest reply

Allowing a seller seven calendar days before a buyer can open an INR on a transaction that gives ‘no estimate available’ for delivery is nonsensical and contradictory. It must change, eBay is behooved to change it. Either the EDD has to display for all to see an actual receive-by date, or that seven-day rule needs to double OR at the very least take into account handling time and business days.

Nonetheless, your buyer and this situation sounds extra sketchy now. Complaining to you that he’s been blocked from future purchases while he exploits this no EDD loophole...? Uh, seriously? More like he’s plumbing the depths of how Big of a Sucker You May Be. Of course he wants to buy another ten items right now (and get them for free later) while causing you to worry about feedback for 11 transactions gone South. If I was a buyer legitimately awaiting the arrival of my order but worried enough to contact the seller that it was so-called late, I’d not be shopping for more bad service. That too defies logic. You don’t return to the dentist who you suspect botched your fillings looking for a root canal.
Message 45 of 78
latest reply

LOL!
Message 46 of 78
latest reply

Message 47 of 78
latest reply

What happens is as soon as you purchase that item, ebay states to you that you will receive it 7 calendar days from payment date.  The poor seller has no handling days and just because he/she is on the other side of the country doesn't matter.  The buyer after those 7 days can file an INR.  

Message 48 of 78
latest reply

Isn't 302578741825 listed on .ca?  It is only ones that are listed on .com with a Canadian seller.

Message 49 of 78
latest reply

Oops...lol...so sorry...how can I tell if a listing is listed on .ca or .com or both? I mean I searched for it on .com haha

If I don't get this straighten out now...I'm gonna look pretty stupid with my posts...lol

I think I should go and delete that post while I still can...

Message 50 of 78
latest reply

No I think I was wrong.   Is this the seller from Sherbrooke?

Message 51 of 78
latest reply

Nah you're good. The Sherbrooke one was from the list of listings you gave me...and that's where I finally understand and see where there's no estimated delivery...
Message 52 of 78
latest reply

How you tell is: the price is in italics if you are on .ca and if on .com, any listing listed in another type of currency is in italics.  For example:

.com listings.jpg

Message 53 of 78
latest reply

Oh my...until you've told me...it didn't even occur to me that some pricing are in italics when I'm searching for stuff...haha...thanks.

Message 54 of 78
latest reply

@musicyouneedwrote:

What happens is as soon as you purchase that item, ebay states to you that you will receive it 7 calendar days from payment date.  The poor seller has no handling days and just because he/she is on the other side of the country doesn't matter.  The buyer after those 7 days can file an INR.  

As I said earlier, I’m not positive but I don’t think that is correct because there is no time mentioned on the listing, I don’t see why it would say 7 days on their purchase history. It doesn’t say that on your end so I doubt it says that on their end.  Your buyer mentioned the 7 days when mentioning opening an inr so I’m sure that’s where they saw it.

Since you’ve never had a buyer insist on 7 day delivery before and it’s been like this a long time, it seem that deleting Canadian shipping from .com listings is overreacting just a tad.  I’m not certain that it’s a good solution either to advertise that you are using a USPS service unless you really are using it but that’s up to you. 

Message 55 of 78
latest reply

If a listing originated in com, it will always be in US dollars and if it originated on .ca, it will be in Canadian dollars. You probably see Canadian dollars in search mode on .ca but if you open a listing and it’s in $US it is from .com.

When you are searching on .com you are an international buyer regardless of where the seller is located. That’s just the way it is set up.

Message 56 of 78
latest reply

Your welcome.

This is why we have the sellers discussion group.  We all can learn from each other.  There is a wealth of information from all the sellers.  I use the boards on a regular basis and listen to what they say.  I don't ask and then do the complete opposite.   I may hold off for a few days but their experience is like gold.   

I thank PJ who found the ebay statement of the 7 days.    I can now adjust.  I am half way through amending all my listings from economy shipping to USPS priority mail international which gives me 9 to 13 business days within Canada.  That is about right.  

Message 57 of 78
latest reply

Ah....that clears it right up. Thanks a bunch!
Message 58 of 78
latest reply

Hi PJ,  Thanks for the info. 

I 100% do believe he was given by ebay the date Feb 14/17.   He kept telling me that I chose that mail service to get it to him by Feb 14/17 but without a screen shot I have to take his word.  "It's posted on my Ebay beside the item of purchase. When you link on to CONTACT SELLER, item not received." 

On my Canadian listings I say that I am shipping CD's to the US by small packet US and I haven't used that service for 2+ years, I use USPS first class, dropping it off first at chitchat.  I don't think any of the buyers would complain, with small packet it is longer and there is no tracking.  

I also show 3 days handling, I have never taken 3 days, it is the next day or the following day, but we do that to fit into ebay's mold. 

Message 59 of 78
latest reply

If you use USPS Priority mail International in the listings for its elongated EDD, your buyers will (legitimately) expect shipping with tracking because Priority is a service with tracking. Does that mean you’re also planning to alter your postage service used? I don’t think you want to misrepresent the service being used as that wil lead to as much real trouble as the seven-day EDD which you’re trying to avoid.
Message 60 of 78
latest reply