OMG my most popular item is a special lot for a specific person!!!

Things that make you shake your head some days.

For fun I just checked the views on a "special lot for XXXX" lot I created for a customer a couple hours ago.

13 views, and I only created it a couple hours ago!!!!!

This is more views than anything else I've started since yesterday.......

Good thing I put the 

"If you're not XXXXX, check out all the 1,000s of other items in my store, there's something for everyone there:" and a link to the store....no sales yet tho.... 😞

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Everyone wants to know what they cannot have....

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I think I found it, already sold. But it is curious that it would attract such attention since neither the title nor the listing nor the photos nor item specifics reveals anything at all about the 'special lot' that could be found via search terms! Is the attention then from your Followers who can't resist a sneak peak because it was a new and mysterious listing? Or maybe the buyer liked it so much he read it 13 times prior to purchase? 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Buyer read it 1 time. The other 18 were curiosity seekers. I doubt they are my regulars but one never knows.....

Now if I can only figure out how to use something like this to pull buyers into the stuff I really have for sale for "others"..... my entrepenurial side is thinking away...
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The other 18 were curiosity seekers

Yes, curiosity from Google, Bing, GoDuckGo 'bots and the one of the frequent eBay hiccups in it's view count software!

View counts given by eBay are not to be relied upon if accuracy is what you are looking for! Watch counts on other other hand seem to be realistic.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

PS so you too can feel special, I created one just for you. (special lot for momc)

Let's see how many views it gets. You'll need to let me know if you look at it more than one time.

I'll kill it once the viewship drops.... I like experiments!
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

It is already up to 11 views.

However does it count me when I check from time to time?

I know that if I check and check again within a couple minutes it does not, but I have a faint recollection that if I check again after 20 minutes it does count me again?
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I just did a test on another of my items running and my theory is correct, it does count me if a while has gone by since I last checked.

So the 11 is a false number now, at least 3 are me I would say.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

The view counter will only count you once if your using the same browser.

If your going back and forth and viewing your item from different browsers then your views will increase by 1 every time you view it.

on eBay.ca,

Internet Explorer = 1

Google Chrome =1 (2 views)

back to Internet Explorer =1 (3 views) etc...

Also going from ebay.ca to eBay.com will also increase it by (1).   

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Hmm that's interesting.

This morning I looked at a lot that had 1 view, when I opened it it said 2 views. So I was number 2.

This afternoon, I looked at the same lot again, it was 4 views before I looked at it, and 5 when I opened it.

Having said this, my machine shut down and had to be restarted in between, so perhaps the same browser in a rebooted machine also counts then?
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

wrote:
It is already up to 11 views.

However does it count me when I check from time to time?

I know that if I check and check again within a couple minutes it does not, but I have a faint recollection that if I check again after 20 minutes it does count me again?

Most tracking software counts 1 view per "session", a session is defined by the user (owner of the page) and is usually a specific length of time and/or activity (inactivity). A session might also be any time between log-ins as in you view in FireFox and then go to another browser immediately where you log in again which starts a new "session".

No doubt there are other factors which can be used to define a "session".

eBay's tracking software is well know for it's glitches.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Along with the different browser, the view count is on a 24hr cycle for both the seller and buyers. The first time you click on your item will count, but will not again until tomorrow, the same thing for the buyers.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

My suspicion is that there are those who Search "Special Lot" and "Private Listing" and the like.

Which is why when I make those special listings, I only use the customer's ID in the title.

YMMV.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Along with the different browser, the view count is on a 24hr cycle for both the seller and buyers. The first time you click on your item will count, but will not again until tomorrow, the same thing for the buyers.

Every time you view your item from a different browser you will increase your view count by 1.

Internet Explorer =1 Google Chrome = 1 (2 views), going back and forth continuously will increase your view count to whatever number you want, time has no effect on the view count if your going from one browser to another or one eBay site to another...   

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

OoooOoooo, special! Thanks, I've gone and looked. It's officially a HOT topic. 

Is it hot in here, or is it just me?Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

wrote:

My suspicion is that there are those who Search "Special Lot" and "Private Listing" and the like.

Which is why when I make those special listings, I only use the customer's ID in the title.

YMMV.

Now... I've always wondered if using the buyers ID -- which is what I also do as well as say 'custom bundle for so-and-so only' -- violates now ebay's 'privacy' policies because the name of that listing (and its purchaser) lives on and on forever in feedback. I do always ask advance permission of the buyer to do it that way. You think not? I keep waiting for the day I get a rap on the knuckles for doing it that way.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I agree interest will increase at times dramatically when one has an item that is still visible or known and it is no longer available for everyone else

Offline I had an item that did exactly that

I was at  a Antique Toy Show selling and had a very rare toy mint in the box.  It had never been opened.  Sold it the first 5 minutes to another Dealer I knew. He did not have the cash to pay me all of it right away and we arranged he would pay by the end of the show.   Worked out well he kept appearing nearly every hour with $50  $100 etc and continued til  it was paid in full

I put the item  behind the table in a box out of view

Word got around I had that toy. Word spreads very fast at shows when a Unique item appears Only a few had seen it before it sold.  All knew who had bought it and it was still at my booth.

One of the Most ridiculous and funniest experiences  I have had at a show  

I got swarmed  Everyone wanted to see it. I would not show it, the deal was done,  it had been sold and if the buyer wanted to show others  that was up to him

People would not give up trying to see it. I actually had people begging me and some offered me cash to see it. Nope I respect my customers and it was not my place to bring it out again

This reaction  is  often referred to as Big Boys and Their Toys. Something twigs and all of a sudden everyone is 4 or 5 years old again

Got to the point people were trying to distract me and caught a number going under the table searching for it when they thought I was not watching. 

In a way a huge pain cause I had to stay on my toes but it was also something a seller dreams of happening. Having ones booth become the focal point of a show 

It created a lot of attention, my booth was continually packed and helped with sales when they found other items 

This continued for hours

Once the buyer paid in full took it to his booth and he was swarmed

weavers

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

YMMV.

Now... I've always wondered if using the buyers ID -- which is what I also do as well as say 'custom bundle for so-and-so only' -- violates now ebay's 'privacy' policies because the name of that listing (and its purchaser) lives on and on forever in feedback. I do always ask advance permission of the buyer to do it that way. You think not? I keep waiting for the day I get a rap on the knuckles for doing it that way.

This is why I only put part of the buyers id in the title....as I did here...

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

wrote:

Every time you view your item from a different browser you will increase your view count by 1.

Internet Explorer =1 Google Chrome = 1 (2 views), going back and forth continuously will increase your view count to whatever number you want, time has no effect on the view count if your going from one browser to another or one eBay site to another...   

I agree, as long as you stay on the same site or with the same browser, the 24hr clock applies.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I personally would ask the buyer what name they want to identify the listing. or which "made up" one will be used, so they know it is theirs.

I do like the idea of occasionally making one for an imaginary buyer, just to see if you can sell some "dead weight".

Message 20 of 25
latest reply