Package to Los Angeles-Canada Post

I see on Canada Post's Site that packages going to the USA from BC now go through

Los Angeles instead of San Francisco.  Previously package tracking would scan in SFO

within 3 to 4 days of shipping.  My latest shipment scanned in Vancouver on May 27 and

there has been nothing since.  Anyone have any insight into this ?   Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

marnotom!
Community Member

What mailing method was being used for this shipment?  Have you checked the tracking on both the Canada Post and USPS websites?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Package was sent CP, Tracking, Expedited.  Final Destination to Michigan.

I have checked both CP & USPS Sites--no updates since YVR on May 27.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Perhaps CP is using ground and not air ?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What is the last estimated date for delivery?

Your buyer cannot open a Not Received dispute until that date has passed.

Is your buyer complaining?
Give her the tracking number and note the current location, although tracking usually shows only that the shipment has been at that location, not that it still is.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@15westcoast wrote:

Perhaps CP is using ground and not air ?

Hate to break it to you, but Expedited Parcel - USA is a ground service.

My experience with Expedited USA is from a whlie ago, but my recollection is that getting tracking events for it from British Columbia is a bit hit and miss, but one does get a delivery scan for it, and that's really what matters.  You may find that a few events do pop up after the item is delivered.

As @femmefan1946 suggests, this isn't really anything to worry about unless your buyer is already complaining or it's well past eBay's last estimated delivery date.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for the info.  I guess I should  have realized "Expedited" was a ground service.

So, with that in mind I would imagine it will show up in a few days.   Thank you.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hi,  I was not thinking that "Expedited" was a ground service.  So, it will

likely show up within a few days.  No complaints from the cuatomer and still

within the delivery date.  I was just a bit anxious .  Thank you.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Never watch tracking unless you really want to encourage those ulcers.

Between the ongoing covid delays, which are going to have a ripple effect for a few more years, erratic tracking, spoke and hub delivery systems,  and impatient buyers, it's not worth the hassle.

Once you put the shipment into the mail, it's up to the service to deliver it by the last estimated date that eBay gave your customer.

You can massage that date by promising a slow service and using a faster one or by extending your handling time, although some buyers do look at delivery time as part of choosing their purchases.

Butyou can't speed up the transit by watching it.

Don't worry about it until you have a complaint from your customer.

FWIW, almost all my shipments go LetterMail and rarely have I* had a lost package, although there are some delayed ones. I can't fuss about tracking because I don't track.

* I sell books and stamps and sewing patterns and ephemera. My customer demographic tends to be pretty laidback about delivery speed and also are likely to have read my description and terms of sale. YMMV.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@15westcoast wrote:

I see on Canada Post's Site that packages going to the USA from BC now go through

Los Angeles instead of San Francisco.  Previously package tracking would scan in SFO

within 3 to 4 days of shipping.  My latest shipment scanned in Vancouver on May 27 and

there has been nothing since.  Anyone have any insight into this ?   Thank you.

Out of Calgary, majority of my orders have routinely shown Calgary/Richmond/LAX. From time to time SF. Possibly overload issues and redirected. They get their anointed scans and move on the merry way. 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Many years ago, in Ottawa, our friend was high on the chain in the Post Office, working in logistics.

They had daily meetings, moving overloads from trucks to planes to trains as available. They even had a couple of helicopters available on some sort of rental contract.

It's another reason why tracking should not be watched.

A package could move back and forth from say, Mississauga to Montreal to Missisauga again to Halifax before being delivered in Moncton.

When I see those long lists of tracking, one thing that is noticeable is that the times often seem impossible (Mississauga to Halifax - one hour?) .

And that most people don't have a great concept of geography.

That GSP package that went from KY to OH? The cities are on opposite sides of a river and about a 15 minute drive apart. And Erlanger is where the Cincinnati airport is.

There are only two useful questions.

Is it moving?

Has the estimated delivery deadline passed?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Many years ago, in Ottawa, our friend was high on the chain in the Post Office, working in logistics.

They had daily meetings, moving overloads from trucks to planes to trains as available. They even had a couple of helicopters available on some sort of rental contract.

It's another reason why tracking should not be watched.

A package could move back and forth from say, Mississauga to Montreal to Missisauga again to Halifax before being delivered in Moncton.

When I see those long lists of tracking, one thing that is noticeable is that the times often seem impossible (Mississauga to Halifax - one hour?) .

And that most people don't have a great concept of geography.

That GSP package that went from KY to OH? The cities are on opposite sides of a river and about a 15 minute drive apart. And Erlanger is where the Cincinnati airport is.

There are only two useful questions.

Is it moving?

Has the estimated delivery deadline passed?

There are 3 usual possiblilities for multiple weird scans. Either it was a miss sort that got fixed on the spot or miss-sort(miss-labeled) and a redirect that sent it back. Last and most common....Person with scanner pushed wrong button(s) multiple times. Kinda like the enter key. Hitting it incessantly does not make a gizmo work faster.

I had a package a few years ago that went Calgary/Regina/Winnipeg/Mtl/Winnipeg/Regina/Winnipeg/Ottawa/Mtl/Quebec City. As for those scanners they are very much like eBay. Finicky, with programmers doing regular updates to them and the associated software.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 12
latest reply