Partial Refund & Chargeback Advice

Hello,

I recently sold an electronics item for $500 on eBay Canada to a buyer in Canada. Heavy item so it cost $75 to ship.  A few days after arriving the buyer opens a refund request due to shipping damage. They claim they don't know how to add photos to an eBay message so I've never seen this damage.

I offer a $60 partial refund, or they can mail the item back for a full refund. I'd be out $150 for shipping both ways but that's the cost of selling on eBay.

Buyer doesn't say anything so I upload the return label anyway. Soon after the buyer marks the item as shipped but it has no updates on the tracking number.  I chatted with eBay support yesterday and they said to call back on the 4th of Feb to have the case closed in my favour since the buyer hasn't done anything.

Suddenly the buyer messaged me today, the day before the case closes, asking for a $150 partial refund instead instead of mailing it back. He has had the item for a month at this point.

I am worried if I tell him no, and just wait for the refund case to expire he will open a chargeback. Then I will be out the expensive item, the shipping cost, and a very cool chargeback fee.

Does anyone have any advice for what to do in this situation?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure how I would handle it as a chargeback wouldn't be a good thing. 

Can you void the label if they don't send the item back?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Isn't he covered by eBay seller protection with a chargeback because he has tracking?

If you provided the label, and he hasn't returned the item within the specified time (I think it's 20 days), you should be able to call or chat with eBay and have the case closed due to inaction from the buyer. Depending on where the label was purchased, you can apply for a refund or credit since it was unused.

Whether you believe the buyer should be entitled to a partial refund beyond that, that would be up to you. But it is my understanding that since you provided a label, and the buyer did not use it in the specified time, you would qualify to have eBay close the case. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yes it's a Canada Post return label so I'm only charged if it is used.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yes it definitely sounds like eBay will close the case in my favour but I am still concerned that the buyer will call his credit card company and ask for a chargeback on the initial transaction.  If the buyer had sent me any proof of the damage I would be more willing to give a partial refund but it seems like he is just trying to get some of his money back after the item ships.  He knows I will be out $150 if I take the return from shipping costs so that is what he is asking for.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

Isn't he covered by eBay seller protection with a chargeback because he has tracking?

Tracking is no protection against an "item not as described" claim or chargeback.  NAD claims and chargebacks are extremely difficult to beat as the maxim "the customer is always right" almost always is in effect.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply