PayPal - Underpaid Postage Function Appears to be Fixed

In case anyone cares LOL, I spoke to a PayPal CSR yesterday and he said he would report my problem to their technicians (I was unable to pay postage due and, therefore, unable to create a new label).

This afternoon, when I logged on to my label page, I was shown a mini invoice stating the amount owed, the transaction involved and the reason (incorrect dimensions).  I was able to pay it from my PayPal funds and the boxes on the label page are no longer greyed out.  My thanks to PayPal -- this is all new to them too.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Was this money you actually owed or the dimensional error we were hearing about?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Was this money you actually owed or the dimensional error we were hearing about?

Both really.  Wrong dimensions, based on previous conversations with Canada Post (should have been volumetric) resulting in a $3.00 underpayment.  If it was large amount of money, say a cumulative amount from a number of purchases, I would really be making a fuss.  But to avoid spending even more time in conversation with PayPal and Canada Post, I'll just accept that I owe them this money.

It still leaves the larger issue of why neither the PayPal platform or the Canada Post website can accurately charge for these larger type parcels.  Both organizations agreed that I should not have to pay after the fact.  I'm hopeful (faintly) that discussing this with both org's might effect change.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I know that you don't want to spend any more time investigating this and I can relate to that but I'm sure that it has nothing to do with dimensional shipping as that is done automatically when you do the label. Plus, the parcel you described doesn't qualify for dimensional pricing. 

The parcel was 25x20x10cm so the formula to figure out dimensional size for an expedited parcel within Canada is 25x20x10 divided by 6000=.833.gr  The package weighed .85 so the dimensional pricing is identical to the pricing by weight so there would be no price difference.  If you had a package that weighed .85 with dimensions of 30x30x10 the dimensional weight would be 1.5kg and the price would be based on that weight rather than the actual weight. You would pay for the label at the 1.5 rate when you printed the label....not later than on.

I don't know why they told you it was a dimensional shipping pricing problem...I don't think they really tried to figure it out because their explanation doesn't make sense.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

"I don't know why they told you it was a dimensional shipping pricing problem."

Because..... someone at Canada Post and/or PayPal figured nobody understands what "dimentional" means and will not question it. Since the amount of money is small. most people will let it go at that.

Personally I suspect a mismeasurement or miscalculation by someone at Canada Post - not willing to admit their mistake.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Personally I suspect a mismeasurement or miscalculation by someone at Canada Post - not willing to admit their mistake.

Or someone at Canada Post not willing to track down the person who actually made the mistake amongst its thousands of employees. 

My opinion about this is that if CPC is going to make users pay after the fact for so-called weight or size errors, they had better find a way to be accountable for what they are charging.  I think sellers should make a fuss over every dollar until CPC gets tired of wasting their employees' time "sorting out" complaints and actually sets up a responsible system for such charges.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I know that you don't want to spend any more time investigating this and I can relate to that but I'm sure that it has nothing to do with dimensional shipping as that is done automatically when you do the label. Plus, the parcel you described doesn't qualify for dimensional pricing. 

The parcel was 25x20x10cm so the formula to figure out dimensional size for an expedited parcel within Canada is 25x20x10 divided by 6000=.833.gr  The package weighed .85 so the dimensional pricing is identical to the pricing by weight so there would be no price difference.  If you had a package that weighed .85 with dimensions of 30x30x10 the dimensional weight would be 1.5kg and the price would be based on that weight rather than the actual weight. You would pay for the label at the 1.5 rate when you printed the label....not later than on.

I don't know why they told you it was a dimensional shipping pricing problem...I don't think they really tried to figure it out because their explanation doesn't make sense.

You may be right.  Since it's happened three times in the past two months, I definitely will question it the next time, if there is a next time.

Interesting though, two of the parcels were the identical item, shipped in the identical box, with the identical measurements.  The third one was the same size box, but a lesser weight.  Because they were all the same dimensions, I believed them when they told me the postage was calculated differently on that size of box.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

THE QUESTION IS, WOULD THEY AUTOMATICALLY REFUND YOU IF YOU OVERPAID!!!! I DON'T THINK SO.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

This thread is more than two years old. It's a zombie. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It may be a zombie thread but its an ongoing issue.

Always make sure to check with Canada Post that the size and dimensions at their end are the same at your end. If they are you DIDN'T underpay for postage.

The only time you pay more is if CP dimensions and weight are different than that described.

CP will request an additional amount and this will be noted in their system. If there is no note there is no charge.

A few years ago PP attempted to charge us for "incorrect dimensions" but when asked to provide confirmation they could not. They stated CP requested the differential. BUT when CP was contacted they had the exact same dimensions as in our screengrabs and receipts and no record of any relayed low postage charge. The PP agent said it was a volumetric error but CP did not agree and stated that the correct amount was paid. When this was brought up to the PP the agent suddenly changed their game and the charge disappeared. After going through this twice it never happened again. Confirm with CP as the original PP charge is nearly always correct (their calculators are required to determine if its supposed to be volumetric).

On the above incidents Pitney Bowles paid Canada Post less than >$5 for each package and charged us the standard commercial discount rate of >$20. This means they profited on the >$15 difference AND attempted to charge for a non-existant overcharge! ... a buck or two may not be a big deal to us sellers but image how many thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of packages are sent using PP each year.

In order to charge they are required to PROVE the dimensional difference. If Canada Post says the dimensions entered are the same and they have no record of any postage underage request then you are NOT required by law to pay.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 11 of 11
latest reply