Pitney Bowes: unjustified extra fees: huge scam: who will stop this scam?

This "third party" Pitney Bowes is running a disgusting scam on eBay! How can customers make ebay aware that this is a fraud ? This third party does not represent official customs an does not give US or Canadian customs any money, they put it all in their pockets. By using fraudulously the term "custom fees", they are not only lying to ebay buyers, but also to official authorities who are not getting these extra "custom fees". Sellers! Why do you make business with these people? they are stealing money from you and from your customers! If ebay cannot or will not take action, this fraud issue will be taken directly to the federal governments of both countries to unveil the scam. Enough is enough!

Message 1 of 213
latest reply
212 REPLIES 212

Re: Pitney Bowes: unjustified extra fees: huge scam: who will stop this scam?

@pierrelebel wrote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  The biggest problem with this program is:

opacity - even eBay staff does not understand the "ins and outs" of GSP

And I believe you could also add that sellers are also mostly in the dark about what their buyers are actually paying.  

Not only has eBay done a bad job of educating its GSP sellers about the ins and outs of the GSP, but I think it is deliberating keeping the buyers' costs quiet so that they can better promote the programme.  Who in their right mind as a US seller would otherwise go for a programme touting higher costs to most buyers outside the U.S.?  

I'm sure many US sellers who have unwittingly got themselves into the GSP because of eBay's promoting it so heavily have been shocked when their buyers inform them of the reality.  I still maintain that when eBay has to over-promote something like this, yet need to keep the details behind the curtain, there is something very fishy going on indeed. 

I realize there may be exceptions for Canadians who purchase higher-priced goods from US eBay sellers, where the difference between GSP and direct shipping may be minimal, but by and large the GSP so far really only seems to be of benefit to eBay and Pitney-Bowes.  

Message 141 of 213
latest reply

I am so glad others here realize what is going on. 

Sadly, I doubt anything will change though. THEY have the power, and WE don't....unless someone exposes them publicly....

Message 142 of 213
latest reply

@rommel999999 wrote:

I tried calling eBay today to get answers but they blew me off. I cannot wait for someone to write an article in a major Canadian newspaper exposing this scam. There is an item valued at $19.53 Canadian on eBay now. It has import charges of $6.39. I called eBay and asked them who is getting this $6.39 as I know for sure:

1: It is not the seller

2. It is not Canada Customs as they don't charge duty fees on anything valued at $20.00 or less (Cdn dollars, of course)

So, I asked eBay, who is getting this money? No answer. They told me to email another dept. for answers. I also wrote to the seller and made them aware of this and hopefully, they will realize it and opt out of the Global Shipping. I am a Canadian buyer who barely ever got charged import fees in over a decade of buying off eBay. In my humble opinion, the actual agents who handle the packages at the border should be the ones charging us import duties, not eBay or Pitney Bowes. The whole thing reeks of something very fushy going on.

Do you still have the item number at hand?  I wouldn't mind having a look at this.  This development is interesting because I was under the impression that any import charges (i.e. processing charges in this case) for a sub C$20 GSP item were now being folded into the item's shipping price.

Message 143 of 213
latest reply

magitec
Community Member

Pitney Bowes used to make fraking machines for office post systems, now they think they can handle the huge logistics of internationl shipping and customs fee, import duty and such.

Impossible. Customs laws vary so much from country to country, they would also need an army of tranlators to fill in all those foreign import papers.

Naturally the only person not making anything as additional profit here is the seller.

Also the buyer may be clobbered for huge customs fees, import VAT in the case of most EEc countries and so on.

It's a big SCAM folks.. There is also some rumour that Pitney Bowes may pen and repack your goods to smaller cartons to reduce their shipping costs and scam extra profit.

Who authorises anybody other than customs officials to open international mail?

It is clearly open to abuse with smuggling, and heaven forbid, possible inclusion of contraband or even terrorist bombs etc.

Boycott anything to do with eBay Global Shipping it stink, and nobody is going to benefit apart from Pitney Bowes and eBay.

Ebay is going to the dogs.

Dave.

Message 144 of 213
latest reply

Ebay  user update forces uses to sign into GPS or they close the account. This must be illegal surely. The mafia call it extortion.

Message 145 of 213
latest reply

Latest Collins Dictionary edition under SCAM it says see Pitney Bowes. ha ha.
Message 146 of 213
latest reply

"Impossible. Customs laws vary so much from country to country, they would also need an army of tranlators to fill in all those foreign import papers."

??

Pitney bowes has been doing this before their deal with ebay, to far more countries then are invovled with the ebay GSP

"Our network delivers to 200+ countries, and we provide the option to pre-pay duty and tax to 90+ countries. "

http://www.pb.com/Ecommerce/Solutions/ClearPath-Global-Fulfillment.shtml

Message 147 of 213
latest reply

Pitney Bowes and their involment with eBay is not in the benefit of customers, sellers or buyers.

Trust is the foundation of eBay wihout it nobody deals anymore. 

Pitney Bowes can go burn in hell. They will bring down eBay, and end income for millions of people.

Greed always wins, hence we fight wars, bailing out banks, and now will loose eBay to Wall Street.

A very cunning way to prevent millions of making some extra income buy shutting down eBay when customs turn around and I'm buying elsewhere like Amazon.

I smell a stinky old rat in Pitney Bowes involvment.

In Europe I have not head of them for over 20 years and now suddenly they are global logistics experts.

I don believe a word of it.

Pitney Bowes  GO BURN IN HELL.

Message 148 of 213
latest reply

i totally agree. what i am discusted with is when you purchase  threw p.b. global ship in hiden costs ,we have to pay seller to ship to there company first to rewrap, i am sure the seller knows how to wrap, then we have to pay again after waiting and waiting for this to be done, for global to resend this item . hopefully not broken because when it gets to border were charged one more time. good luck trying to get border fees back( not likely). this company is a BROKER and a SCAM for all CANADIANS. P.B. GLOBAL  HAS TO GO. TIME FOR EBAY TO HAVE A VOTE ON THIS ISSUE WE ARE NOT HAPPY. INSTEAD OF HAVING SELLER OPT OUT, HOW ABOUT HAVING A SELLER OPT IN INSTEAD. IF THEY DO NOT WANT CANADIAN CUSTOMERS

Message 149 of 213
latest reply

"TIME FOR EBAY TO HAVE A VOTE ON THIS ISSUE"

Great idea.

eBay users should also have a vote on feedback

and a vote of DSRs

and a vote on ever increasing fees

and a vote on PayPal holding payments for 21 days

and a vote on the way the search engine works

and a vote on Canada Customs charging taxes when entering Canada

and a vote on all major eBay policy changes

and a vote to force eBay to offer customer service by email 

and a vote to improve the protection policy for buyers

and a vote to improve the protection policy for sellers

and a vote to ban all scammers and bad buyers and bad sellers from the site

Am I missing something?

Message 150 of 213
latest reply

Today I hade to pay 61,62 USD for shipping and import charge on a license transfer from the sellers "waves" account to My "waves" account. Waves is a company that makes Software plugins for computers. So i payed Shipping and import for a non fysical item. FRAUD!!
Message 151 of 213
latest reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitney_Bowes

magitec:  Even assuming that the Wikipedia article is a company puff piece, they have been in the software and mail processing business 1968, and actually handling shipping for over 20 years.

And the collection and remittance of duty and sales taxes is quite normally downloaded to both public companines (like Canada Post0 and private ones (UPS, WalMart, our own family shop). Private companies even get paid to do this work for Revenue Canada.

Message 152 of 213
latest reply

Ebay is PART of this scam!!!!    I know it's hard to believe, but Ebay must be willing to sacrifice it's own customers for the good of Pitney Bowes!!   DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!

Canadians need to launch a class-action lawsuit against EBAY AND PITNEY BOWES for this UNFAIR and UNJUST billing methods they employ.

Adding hidden fees onto a bill of sale AFTER the promise to purchase has already been made, is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!

For example,  I buy an item for $60, and there is a $15 shipping fee.

I expect an invoice for $75.

instead what I get is an invoice for $90, as Pitney Bowes magically appears out of nowhere, and unbeknownst to me, to tack on another $15 to my invoice...  WHAT!?!?!?!?  

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is TOTALLY ILLEGAL in Canada, and Ebay better give their **bleep**ING HEADS a shake already!!!!!!

Enough with this bull **bleep**!!!!!!!

Message 153 of 213
latest reply

If I buy something from a US web site and then have to pay duty and taxes at the border, is it illegal too?

Is it illegal for CP to charge me 9.95$ to collect money for CBSA? Because, those numbers were not on my original invoice...

Message 154 of 213
latest reply

"I expect an invoice for $75.   instead what I get is an invoice for $90'

I do not understand.

Why did you expect an invoice for only $90 when the listing page showed the extra "import fee'?  Did you not see it?  And you want to sue eBay and Pitney Bowes because you failed to notice the charge?

I do not like GSP and I think most Canadians should avoid it most of the time.

However, let's be honest about it.

Message 155 of 213
latest reply

These creeps opened my mail..for a 20 dollar item..Thanks PB spits....No more Yankee purchases

Message 156 of 213
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I expect an invoice for $75.   instead what I get is an invoice for $90'

I do not understand.

Why did you expect an invoice for only $90 when the listing page showed the extra "import fee'?  Did you not see it?  And you want to sue eBay and Pitney Bowes because you failed to notice the charge?

I do not like GSP and I think most Canadians should avoid it most of the time.

However, let's be honest about it.

I just got whacked with an extra $38 on a purchase from the US to Australia, no 'import fee' listed or applicable, no customs, shipping ALREADY paid for in the original purchase.  This IS fraud.  I've reported Pitney Bowes, Paypal, and Ebay to the ACCC here in Australia, opened a case with VISA to issue a chargeback on the unauthorized transaction, and will be pressing charges against whoever is responsible if this happens again.  Credit Card Fraud is a serious issue and they /are/ guilty in this case.

Message 157 of 213
latest reply

You are located in Australia and you made a purchase from the USA.  I am not sure why you are addressing the boards in Canada!

In any case, what was the listing number for this transaction?

Message 158 of 213
latest reply

One thing about this program I noticed mentioned on the boards which rubbed me the wrong way ..

I think it may have been Rodney that stated this..

Many sellers who never shipped to Canada are now because of the GSP program..

First of all WHY .. They would have shipped to canada if they cared enough to look into so is this really GSP helping or forcing the sellers hand to learn what they were to lazy to learn before the GSP program..

Second of All it was stated There is alot more Available to Canadians now.. WHat is the point of that with all the Canadians running away from US sales because of the GSP program..

I can tomorrow make my store have 5000 more titles available for buyers but why would I do that if all the stuff in my store was garbage ,,,

So Why make more available to us in Canada if were all just running because of the Garbage GSP Program..

My guess is although ebay has New buyers come from every which way you have probably never ever ever seen so many people turning a cheek to buying from the US sense GSP came into play..

So WHY ..

Either putting all cost upfront so we can still run away from the crazy fees and prices but alteast make a purchased based on all information Or get rid of the Program..

It is more then obvious this programs HAS FAILED CANADIANS ...

What is there to fix ? NOTHING

What is there to get rid of ? GSP PROGRAM..

Message 159 of 213
latest reply

Just don't bid on any items that have GSP.  There are enough items on Ebay and other websites that don't force GSP that you don't need to support this feature.  Some US sellers are understanding the impact.  A friend of mine in the US just sold an item for $1800 and the buyer backed out because the GSP wanted over $500 in taxes because of his country.  The seller now relisted it under a second account that doesn't have GSP.  It's going to be a slow process, but Americans are also seeing the pitfalls of using GSP and I know plenty that are backing out of said feature.  I made the mistake of bidding on a GSP auction before (in fairness the GSP wasn't listed as I was using ebay.com and there were bugs early on that masked GSP unless you used sites outside of .com), but after the seller tried to get $6 for an $18 item I cancelled the transaction.  The seller was ok with it, didn't get upset.  I'm still able to function without said item.  At the end of the day 99% of the stuff we buy on Ebay are things we can live without anyhow.  

Message 160 of 213
latest reply