Pitney Bowes: unjustified extra fees: huge scam: who will stop this scam?

This "third party" Pitney Bowes is running a disgusting scam on eBay! How can customers make ebay aware that this is a fraud ? This third party does not represent official customs an does not give US or Canadian customs any money, they put it all in their pockets. By using fraudulously the term "custom fees", they are not only lying to ebay buyers, but also to official authorities who are not getting these extra "custom fees". Sellers! Why do you make business with these people? they are stealing money from you and from your customers! If ebay cannot or will not take action, this fraud issue will be taken directly to the federal governments of both countries to unveil the scam. Enough is enough!

Message 1 of 213
latest reply
212 REPLIES 212

"the add which got me didn't say anything about this, it was "hidden' and after the fact-"

???

Are you referring to the guitar you purchased earlier this month (listing 251372157629)?

That listing clearly showed both the shipping charge and the "import charge" on the front page of the listing and again under the shipping tab.  Nothing "hidden" or "after the fact" about it.

Like most Canadians, I do not like the way GSP works.  However let us keep out criticism factual.

What was it about that transaction specifically that you did not like?  What is "insidious" about it? Why would this transaction result in you not buying on eBay again?
Message 181 of 213
latest reply

A friend of mine in the US just sold an item for $1800 and the buyer backed out because the GSP wanted over $500 in taxes because of his country.  The seller now relisted it under a second account that doesn't have GSP.

Splatti

I hope your friend is not offering the item to international customers.

The arrival of an $1800 item at the buyer’s customs office will attract exactly the same duty and tax as he would pay upfront with Pitney Bowes as well as a fee of some sort paid to the shipper.

The shipper will handle brokerage, in the buyer’s country instead of in the USA  and remit to the buyer’s government, just as PB does.

The big difference is that with GSP, the buyer is told what to pay, pays it, and receives his item, instead of getting a horrible shock and a demand for more money on his doorstep.

Which is when the buyer starts a "not as described' dispute and leaves negative feedbacka and trashed DSRs/

Message 182 of 213
latest reply

gigeo
Community Member

Scam or no scam ...it is just another fee and another nail in  ebays coffin...I mean lets face it...back when I 1st entered the ebay arena it was fun and exciting and there were those out there who scammed on both the buyer and seller ends...ebay started to change and once Donahue took over it seemed to really accelerate into a direction that more and more was geared to look like a division of amazon rather than what Pierre intended it to be in the 1st place. Now ebay takes a cut from paypal as well as their on-going fees...the sellers pay the fees on both ends and yet ebay is geared highly in favour of the buyer. I know as I buy more now than sell...but now they have the import fee thing which blows my mind...living in Canada when I buy what are considered old antique toys and like the other poster said using NAFTA which is the North American Free Trade Agreement....I only pay HST which is Harmonized Tax...the same thing I pay when I drive into Michigan to a flea market and bring things back which in most cases the border guards say "Go Ahead" and don't even bother.. HST is 13%   The last item I bought on ebay for 21 dollars had this outrageous fee attached to shipping the seller tried to remove it and we together even called ebay on a conference call (Yes We DID) and ebay gave us the usual ' Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what?" response so we as a buyer and seller decided to take back our ability to trade with each other on our own terms...failrly and honestly without getting the shake down from ebay and its goons...so instead of paying 60 for a 21 dollar item....I paid directly to paypal for the item and for the amount WE agreed which was the actual shipping thru USPS and Canada Post for 7 dollars...you see if you use USPS and Canada Post being government controlled ;....they automatically do the brokering for us.   SO that is where this whole thing is BS...the only time I get charged "brokerage fees" is when someone is silly enough to use private carriers....they charge crazy money to touch the package and then call it a "Handling brokerage fee" that is the scam...it is not customs....customs is there to protect the mail and us....brokerage handles goods literally....so I always request USPS and therefore should not have to pay a fee that is automatic with USPS Canada Post...this is just another fee to help one of ebays trading buddies make money....so do what we did...let ebay know that these items we sell are ours...not theirs....ebay is a warehouse for all intents and purposes that we drive to pay a fee for the day ro set up our table and sell our **bleep** then leave. Ebay is not a drop shipper...ebay is not my partner...I am not some lonely guy who got a job at ebay to sell their stuff for them...all of these things ebay thinks it is or has become but ebay you are none of these things... you are an intangible portal where buyers and sellers connect and as any ebay employee is seeing now....more and more ebayers are taking to facebook now to sell  and buy items and ironically it is close to being what ebay sued to be....fun...groups of all kinds are springing up and even I have purchased and sold thousands already with no fees etc and all the profit is mine or the person I am buying from...most groups are well regulated and are with people who are directly trading in that specific area of interest....so keep it up ebay,,,watch us all slowly trickle away....and don't think you can buy facebook like paypal...not gonna happen....ebay was fun but now they are having fun at our expense and facebook is gaining ground in this aera.....hahah ebay...you should have stoppe when you had achance....your DSR and annti-seller policies and now anti-buyer policies are going to bury you alive 🙂

Message 183 of 213
latest reply

dsarraz
Community Member
One day i had something shipped at my door , by DHL Express and they charged me around 120$~ of border fees. Finnaly i called the company , told them it was ridiculously too much, they told me it was supposed to be half (60$~) and that they were gonna send me the 60$ back but they never did. Shame on DHL for this (noob **bleep** company). But anyway there shouldn't even be any border fees. I ordered acouple of times from The US or even EUrope and I never had to pay anything but this time Yes . Seriously what the **bleep**. Next time i'm not gonna pay theese 'extra' fees, i'm gonna tell the clerk that the item is already paid, going to take item and close the door (with violence if necessary).
Message 184 of 213
latest reply

dsarraz
Community Member
FYI , last post , I live in Canada Quebec and ordered from the US.
Message 185 of 213
latest reply

This is a scam by Pitney Bowes to make money for themselves, that all it is, I BOYCOT ALL SELLERS WHO OFFER THAT SYSTEM , THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER SELLER WITH THE SAME PRODUCT WHO DOES NOT USE THAT SYSTEM.  THE SYSTEM IS FRAUD PLAIN AND SIMPLE.. THE SELLERS USING THAT SYSTEM LOOSE OUT IN SALES, SIMPLE AS THAT..PITNEY IS  THE WINNER..

Message 186 of 213
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program(GSP) is not entirely a scam despite what several people post here.

Canadian buyers have gotten use to Canada Post not following the letter of the law and not assessing a brokerage charge of $9.95 per pkg plus GST & PST/HST and any duty due on the incoming shipments whose value is $20 or higher. If the Canadian federal government instructs Canada Post to be more stringent in adhering to inspecting incoming shipments then your shipments will face delays as they clear customs and you will have to pay fees as you do under the GSP program.

The GSP assess all shipments going through their system. PB assess PST/GST or HST along with any duty due and forwards these monies to Revenue Canada.

The GSP certainly has problems. The GSP probably should not be used for items less than $50 or pehaps under $100. The GSP invoices not showing PST/GST or HST as a separate line item. Another problem is that PB charges a brokerage fee on shipments less than the $20 threshold. These shipments are not assessed PST/GS or HST. This results in income for PB whereas these shipments if they were cleared by Canada Post would result in no fees being assessed.

GSP also allows PB to open your shipment to determine country of origin of the product being shipped. If a seller enrolls into the GSP then perhaps a stipulation is that they should indicate on their shipment what the country of origin is. Another sore point with some buyers is that PB can repackage your shipment if they deem that the packaging used by the seller is too large. This could result in damage if the person at PB does not take care in repacking the shipment.

The tracking system imployed by the GSP needs to be improved. It takes days to initially show any shipping information. Then there is a lack of tracking information once a package leaves the PB facility in KY until it reaches a Canada Post depot.

The majority of eBay sellers have been opted into the plan without fully realizing what the ramifications are to their Canadian buyers.

Message 187 of 213
latest reply

"Canada Post not following the letter of the law...."

Once again, Canada Post does NOT make the decision to charge or not charge taxes.

That decision is made by Canada Customs, an agency of the federal government. The Feds call the shots, not Canada Post.

Taxes are collected by Canada Post at time of delivery (or pick up at the post office) when Canada Customs assess taxes (and/or duty).  Canada Post also charges a $9.95 administration fee IF duty or taxes are payable (regardless of the amount of duty/taxes charged).

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 188 of 213
latest reply

I stand corrected. It is indeed CBSA that does the assessing of any taxes and duties due on incoming mail shipments. They are the ones that are not following the letter of the law.

Message 189 of 213
latest reply

Can anyone tell me when they started showing all charges upfront ?

The whole flat $10 shipping for big items is gone ..Look at old suppliers and noticed all there shipping charges when up which brought me to the conclusion there are now showing taxes or duties .. Basically asking When and what exactly change?

Sorry for the question but I looked through about 30 post didn't see anything and I'm very busy looking for the easy info 😜

Message 190 of 213
latest reply

"when they started showing all charges upfront ?"

The Global Shipping Program was introduced on eBay.com over one year ago.  Its adoption by American sellers has been slow.

Currently, when looking at listings on eBay.com, I still see much less than 50% of listings offering GSP. 

GSP penetration varies by category.  As suggested by eBay and pointed out many times on these boards, most listings by American sellers with value of less than $50 or items being shipped by lettermail should NOT offer GSP.  However, many American sellers seem to be unaware of the consequences of their choice on the buyers.  eBay needs to provide Americans more seller education and guidance on the subject.

Message 191 of 213
latest reply

I agree, its a big scam and I wont be buying from any seller using this service in the future, what was wrong with sellers shipping themselves, why use a service which costs more to the customer,

Message 192 of 213
latest reply

Ill be using my spare time to contact sellers using this service to let them know that I wont be buying from them until they remove the global shipping from their listings. I spent over $4000 last year on ebay, that will not be the case this year, I think amazon will get my money this year,

Message 193 of 213
latest reply

no I know it started a year ago what i am saying is roughly a Month ago all my sellers I use were using GSP and all there shipping charges were $10 and change for box 20x20x20  weighing about 10 lbs..

Now they all say roughly $25 and change for shipping so was wondering what changed there

Message 194 of 213
latest reply

$10 for 10 lbs from the USA to Canada appears to have been a mistake.  Now it has been corrected.

Message 195 of 213
latest reply

$10 ship to kentucky the shipping from kentucky to me was not stated now it seems like it is ..

Message 196 of 213
latest reply

181274278500 This is just 1 of these things the seller is not aware of. Selling price $15.90, Global Shipping $23.82. Thank you Ebay. Seller did not know about these either.

Message 197 of 213
latest reply

You try to make it like you can answer some of these questions about this system Try this

Item 251245120825. Ebay $57.99. Shipping $25.42. Import Charges $178.55. Explain this to me Lucy!

Message 198 of 213
latest reply

251245120825 Seller was unaware of charges. $57.99 shipping $25.42 Import charges $196.41

Message 199 of 213
latest reply

"Try thisItem 251245120825."

It is an obvious mistake - by somebody somewhere along the line - as maple syrup coming into Canada from the USA is duty free.

Message 200 of 213
latest reply