Self insurance (cookie jar) RICARMICs statistics to 2018

It is that time of year again!!!....

Overall Notes:

-I live in the stamp collectors world, so these results are all from postage stamp selling categories

-prior to 2018 I sold only on .COM. Beginning 2018 Canadian centric stuff is listed on .CA, everything else on .COM

-I ship worldwide, and I have no blocks on buyers (but I do maintain a blocked buyer list)

-this includes items lost to "crime" as well. "Crime" is defined here as situations where I think people purposefully buy with bad echeques, or claiming lost in transit but that is only from using my spider senses.

-I sell a lot of stuff internationally, over 35% of my packages go outside North America

-the numbers below are specific to eBay sales. As I mentioned in other threads, I experience losses both real and "crime" related via the other online venues I use so package loss rate is not only an ebay buyer issue.

It is also worth noting that for 2018 I continued to have 3 types of insurance:

1. Self insurance for the small stuff
  2. Canada Post for the first $100 only when items are sent expedited, expresspost, or trackable
  3. 3rd party insurer (Hugh Wood) for stuff over $200

(Note that I did not utilize 2 or 3 in 2018, 2017 or 2016)

2018 results

% of shipments = .0018 = under 1/5 of 1% of packages lost, so about 1 in 550 packages are lost

% of sales = .00044 = under 1/20 of 1% ie almost negligible percent loss rate $ wise

4 items "lost" in 2018 Canada(2), USA, USA forwarder to Paraguay

1 believed to be lost to "crime" (Paraguay forwarded)

4 lost and unrecovered

0 repaid

Things of note in 2018.

-this is the lowest loss rate since I've been reviewing this way, previous record low was 8

-all lost packages were not tracked

-no items so far lost due to Canada Post strike

-I mailed to a lot of "scary" countries this year and so far only losses have been to Canada or US addresses

-only significant 2018 change was beginning to list material on .CA

2017 results

% of shipments = .0071 = under 3/4 of 1% of packages lost, so about 1 in 140 packages are lost

(all lost packages were  not tracked)

% of sales = .0044 = under 1/2 of one percent loss rate $ wise

13 items "lost"*** in 2017 Australia,Canada(5),Colombia,Italy,Russia(2),USA(3*)

3 believed to be lost to "crime" (Canada,Russia(2) based on spider senses)

10 lost and unrecovered(so far). 1 Found later** Canada, 2 arrived later & repaid Colombia, Italy

3 repaid (Buyer found or advised delivery later and repaid: Canada, Colombia, Italy)

*2 of the USA losses were to USA forwarding companies (1 buyer from Paraguay, 1 buyer from China)

** on return from vacation, lot was lost in a pile of junk mail which was not dealt with and found for a few weeks

*** 1 lost lot to Canada and 1 to Italy were lost to long time, regular buyers who have continued to purchase regularly since AOK.

Things I did in 2017.

-nothing new it seems in 2017 different from 2016

2016 results

% of shipments = .004 = under one half of 1% of packages are lost, so about 1 in 250 packages are lost

% of sales = .0024 = about one quarter of 1 percent loss rate

8 "lost" in 2016 USA(2),Canada,India,Oman,Russia,Australia,Bolivia

1 believed to be lost to "crime" (based on spider senses)

7 lost and unrecovered(so far). 1 USA advised arrival later and repaid

1 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: USA)

1 odd situation, other USA buyer convinced me to unblock them and they successfully purchased 3 more items

Things I did in 2016.

-I China & Brazil require trackable shipping, ie lowest shipping $17.50 regardless item size. Number of buyers especially China increased over the year, they began buying batches of stuff to make the postage palatable.

-decided against adding extra custom shipping costs to Russian buyers (not tracking) so far, am also considering doing the same for others

-I sell in US$ so the lower $C rate gives me more room to make packages trackable, which I’ve been doing more to new buyers and/or buyers in scary countries

-I did change my flat rate shipping to Standard Shipping (outside the US) to add a few more days to the est delivery date

2015 results

% of shipments = .0097 = about 1% of packages are lost, so about 1 in 100 packages are lost

% of sales = .0090 = about 1 percent loss rate

13 "lost" in 2015 Russia(5) Belarus, Canada, China, French Polynesia, Kuwait, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka

3 believed to be lost to "crime" (Russia, ordered 3 separately close together)

9 lost and unrecovered(so far)

1 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: Canada)

Things I did in 2015.

-I changed China and Brazil to custom shipping requiring trackable shipping, ie lowest shipping $17.50 regardless item size. Number of buyers dropped dramatically.

-am considering adding extra custom shipping costs to Russian buyers (not tracking), however had many sales, including one for $1500 which more than offsets the minor losses.

-I sell in US$ so the lower $C rate gives me more room to make packages trackable, which I’ve been doing more to new buyers and/or buyers in scary countries

2014 results

% of shipments = .0051 = 1/2 a % of packages are lost, so about  1 in 200 packages are lost

% of sales = .0040 = .4% of sales ie less than 1/2 of one percent loss rate

10 "lost" in 2014 USA(2) Nepal(1) China(2) Brazil(3) Germany(1) Russia (1)

2 believed to be lost to "crime" (China)

5 lost and unrecovered(so far) USA(2) Brazil (2) Russia

3 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: Nepal,Germany,Brazil)

2013 results one half of one percent of sales loss rate:

0.51% "insurance" loss rate (10 unrecovered losses USAx3,Argentina,Chinax3,France,Israel,North Korea)

0.3% as a result of "crime" (6 shipments)

0.21% as a result of items lost in the mail (4 shipments)

(Note in 2013 2 packages “lost” and later arrived and Buyers repaid(Brazil, Russia), 1 package loss partially covered by Canada post, no losses covered by 3rd party insurer)

2012 results - under 1% of sales loss rate:

0.83% "insurance": loss rate (unrecovered loss 9 shipments Argentina,Australia,Brazil,Canada,Chinax2,Indonesia,Russia,Turkey)

0.78% as a result of "crime" (2 shipments)

0.04% as a result of items lost in the mail (7 shipments)

A reminder that 2012 is the year that CP covered the small packets, I had a few recoveries this way.

I had a big crime loss within Canada (this was also spelled out in a different thread).

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0