Seller Hub: Likes and Dislikes

Random thoughts:

First and foremost, I DISLIKE that we apparently still aren't able to access Promotions Manager through Seller Hub despite my being told by no fewer than three different ebay folks that it was coming with Seller Hub. Canadian sellers have played second fiddle too long. Having only Markdown Manager with Promoted Listings puts me against a steep disadvantage in trying to sell competitively to my Canadian buyers when my American competitors can do BOGOs and offer coupon codes. I call it discrimination. It needs to stop. We deserve Promotions Manager and I'm not going to shut-up about it until we get what we deserve. 

Also, I dislike that's it's glitchy in that it will show or not show data in the different modules on my page at random. Luckily, it's not the very important data that seems to intermittently disappear only to be replaced by the 'uh-oh' text.

I dislike that you cannot 'hide' this nonsense like you could with Seller Manager as part of the Customization features.

Try telling me something I don't already know. Also, when you say 'update' what you really mean is 'get rid of it' because 'revise' does not eliminate this annoying and unhelpful messageTry telling me something I don't already know. Also, when you say 'update' what you really mean is 'get rid of it' because 'revise' does not eliminate this annoying and unhelpful message

I like that it's easy to dump the Hub if I decide I don't want to be bothered with it.

Without Promotions Manager, there's little to no point to moving the Seller Hub and, no, I won't get over itWithout Promotions Manager, there's little to no point to moving the Seller Hub and, no, I won't get over it

I like that there's a summary of important stuff along the top that also includes the balance owing in ebay fees.

You know what would make this even more useful? Someplace I can  write or post a note or reminder to myselfYou know what would make this even more useful? Someplace I can write or post a note or reminder to myself

I also really like that you can customize (add) shortcuts to this module, and it almost compensates for the fact that the link to ebay Community can no longer be found at the top OR bottom of any Hub-navigated page. 

It's almost as if they don't like us here so they want to make it hard to find ebay Canada Community and Discussion BoardsIt's almost as if they don't like us here so they want to make it hard to find ebay Canada Community and Discussion Boards

I REALLY LIKE that there's finally an indicator of how fast I have to ship my item according to the handling time that I have set. 

This feature is handy, it helps to keep handling time obligations straightThis feature is handy, it helps to keep handling time obligations straight

Finally, I'd like this more if I understood what these metrics meant. I 'get' the part in green but what's the comparative data supposed to mean? No one else was selling this stuff or that buyers aren't looking for it, or what?

Context! What is this supposed to be telling me and what is the reason I don't know what it means?Context! What is this supposed to be telling me and what is the reason I don't know what it means?

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Finally, this is inaccurate. I had a sale at 12:33 EST. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.35.43 PM.png

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

By the way, I can never remember whether the ">" symbol (for example >10.0%) is "less than" or "greater than". 

I've had a mental block on this point for decades -- maybe someone who doesn't have this problem can finally help me break it.  Does anyone have a mnemonic to always get ">" and "<" right?  Smiley Very Happy

Just remember that the "less than" symbol < looks like the letter L and L is the first letter of the word less. The other symbol > does not look like a L and must be "greater than". Still works for me 50+ years after I learned this trick.

Message 22 of 53
latest reply

I think of it as Pacman. His mouth is open to the side that is greater in value.

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

And then there's this.

I'll say it again, if ebay wants us this to be a value-added service to us, we have to be able to use it. I'm not entirely stupid, but I lack the context with which to understand this data. Beginning with, what is the reason this is the default Benchmark date? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.33.00 PM.png

The default for pretty much all of the Hub is "last 30 days", the "benchmark" is the previous 30 days

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 24 of 53
latest reply

Screenshot of the question posed by me at the Seller's Hub webinar in FebruaryScreenshot of the question posed by me at the Seller's Hub webinar in February

Message 25 of 53
latest reply

Okay, thanks. However, the 'benchmark' date is Feb 19 which is neither 30 nor 60 days ago. It's 61 days ago, is it not? Have I double-counted a day?

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

I don't like change. I was happy with the way things were before.  I find it all confusing. Can't find what I am looking for anymore. And it switches back & forth between the new seller's hub & then back to the old way.  All the new stats are of little interest to me. I will probably opt out of it if I can.

I'm with you in that I am generally not a huge fan of change either, especially when it feels like the change is simply for the sake of change. The stat portion *could* be useful but I still don't understand much of what it's supposed to be telling me. I think we need a more detailed tutorial on it. It's one thing for them to say, "Here's where you can look at your sales performance!" but another when you haven't been given the tools to understand what it's supposed to mean. At the very least, some text bubbles to click with details that explain the data are necessary.

For me, at least. If I had a MBA, I doubt I'd be running a two-bit ebay store and commenting on ebay forums at almost midnight on a Saturday. I'd be on my yacht, fishing for endangered whales and sipping 350-year-old scotch or something. 

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
... I lack the context with which to understand this data. Beginning with, what is the reason this is the default Benchmark date? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.33.00 PM.png

ebay is not talking calendar months for the calculations.

When figuring your "monthly" sales change you need something (the benchmark) to compare it to.

So sales in the "benchmark" time period (Feb 19-Mar 21) are compared to sales in the "current" time period (Mar 22-Apr 21).  Note: 31 days in each time period.

These time periods will change every day. So the percentages will vary day to day as sales are added and subtracted.

The "monthly" stat is of little value for low volume sellers as every sale will have a big impact. Works best for those sellers with hundreds of sales per month.

-..-

Message 28 of 53
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Okay, thanks. However, the 'benchmark' date is Feb 19 which is neither 30 nor 60 days ago. It's 61 days ago, is it not? Have I double-counted a day?

31 days in each of the time periods (count both the start and end days, not the difference between the two dates).

Message 29 of 53
latest reply

Just for posterity, here is the corrected math:

111.3% more sales in the last 31 days as compared to the 31 days before that

(ie as an illustration, you sold $211. in the last 31 days as compared to $100 in the 31 days before that)

164% more sales in the last 31 days as compared to the same 31 days a year ago

(ie as an illustration,  you sold $264 in sales in the last 31 days as compared to $100 in sales in the same 31 days last year)

Keep in mind that if you do an invoice today that has other days items in it moves the sales $$ to today.

As well, invoicing often drops everything but ONE item's worth of sales (ie if someone bought things for $10, $25 and $35, after you create an invoice, it might drop $60 from today's sales or $45 or $35 depending on which one it picks) until it is paid for. This is for sure true of multi day items, I can't remember at the moment if it also happens for all same day purchases. So if you invoice today your today sales drop, if they pay tomorrow the total sales show up in tomorrows numbers....

Message 30 of 53
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
There is a Webinar on Demand for the Seller’s Hub available to users. I did the offered live in late winter; it was the second time I was assured by eBay reps that Promotions Manager was coming with the Hub. I’ll have to root around and see if I kept a screenshot of that. If I have one, I’ll post it. And the Webinar on Demand link too for anyone else who wants a viewing. I already did mine at the time.

See my Post #8 above with the link to a Seller Hub Webinar of November 2017 (this was done after it was introduced on .com).  I don't know whether it's the same webinar as the one you're referencing, but if not, the more the merrier.  

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Just remember that the "less than" symbol < looks like the letter L and L is the first letter of the word less. The other symbol > does not look like a L and must be "greater than". Still works for me 50+ years after I learned this trick.

AHA!!  That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.  Thank you! 

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

I have always used the "left" is less, "right" is more, the "looks like" also works. 

Good luck!

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

I dislike that you cannot 'hide' this nonsense like you could with Seller Manager as part of the Customization features.

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 6.34.54 AM.pngTry telling me something I don't already know. Also, when you say 'update' what you really mean is 'get rid of it' because 'revise' does not eliminate this annoying and unhelpful message

I actually like this note. When I get one, I usually close the listing, look at how many views it has, and if it has description problems, then relist it with Sell Similar a month or more later. I use Sell Similar on relists more often than I use Relist, though.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

True. I thought of doing that. For some, there would be no harm, with others I'd lose 38 watchers. (We all know what Watchers are worth.) Maybe it would startle one of them into purchase. 

I'll take that as a good suggestion and put it on the shelf of Things To Do next to the other dusty items that have sat neglected for a year or more. My list is long and painful to behold. 

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

Has anyone heard when Seller Hub will be available to everyone? Or are there certain requirements to qualify for it? Would have thought 1 week would have been reasonable time frame.

-CM

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

So from your opportunity to watch the original webinar on Sellers Hub, how closely do you think it matches what you received in actuality?

-CM

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

Given that Seller Hub doesn’t include the only thing that made it worth getting — Promotions Manager — it’s not worth opting into it, in my opinion. There’s nothing overtly wrong with it but it adds no real value beyond whatever we had with Seller Manager. The extra stats? Meh. They might be meaningful to sellers moving a thousand units a month but I doubt those sellers were waiting around for those stats to come from eBay anyway. I’m sorry to say it looks like change simply for the sake of change. It’s not terrible, it’s just pointless. I’m all apathy for it.

Had it included what they said was included, I might have something to get excited over.

Instead, it’s like opening an empty box.
Message 38 of 53
latest reply

i haven't been sent the offer either, i was told if i didn't have it by Monday to let them know, i am in no hurry to do that.. it has no interest to me at all.

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

Just imagine writing numbers

1, 2, 3, 4, 5.....

< points to lesser numbers and > to greater numbers

Message 40 of 53
latest reply