What to do when not shipping with Shippo?

Hi!

Newbie here... Just did my 4th shipment!

Ok, so on the first 3 shipments, I used Shippo, so everything was linked to my account and as soon as I printed the label and shipped the package, it updated automatically in "My eBay" to show as shipped and the tracking number was transferred there as well...

4th shipment I did not use Shippo. What I want to know is what do I need to do after shipping since I am not linked with my eBay account as with Shippo? So far, the only thing I did is tag the item as "Mark as shipped". Should I do anything else so that eBay "understands" that the package is currently in transit?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yes, add the tracking number. in My eBay over where the buyer info is look for [Add]

Carrier code for Canada Post is CPC

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I rarely use tracking.

But I should point out that my customers tend to be people who not only read, but actively enjoy following instructions . So they know what they are buying, when it is likely to arrive, and what to do if there is a problem.

I believe you would have no problems if you shipped your books without tracking, but you should certainly use Tracking on any electronic equipment.  Different customer demographics.

Tracking is a criterion for Top Rated Seller status (which gives some discounts) in the USA. But not in Canada, where tracked packages are very expensive.

If you do not track, and a customer claims his purchase did not arrive, just refund. You can't prove otherwise. (And he might be right.)

If you do track, you will be charging a lot for shipping, which may price your items too high and lose you customers.

Your choice.

It's a tough one when you are starting out.

FWIW- I protect myself and my profits with a mixture of Cookie Jar Insurance and using discount postage stamps.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Most of what I ship in Canada goes via non-tracked lettermail as well as all International (except USA).

It's not a problem unless a buyer indicates the delivery was late when/if they leave feedback and when/if they answer the question about delivery date with "no".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You are in Canada. Tracking is not an ebay.ca requirement.

I use oversize lettermail in Canada and Small Packet Air (USA and International) with few problems (neither have tracking).

Electronics I would probably pick tracked (higher risk) versus books, cds, dvds, cheap coins, oddball stuff (which I'm quite willing to send untracked).

-..-

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You will also want to be careful, if you are charging 12$ for shipping and you send it for 1.80$ then you will get some upset customers.. if it is small and you don't require tracking, then you need to adjust your shipping fees accordingly..

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes, add the tracking number. in My eBay over where the buyer info is look for [Add]

Carrier code for Canada Post is CPC

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ok, sounds good!

Let's say that... but not saying that this IS what I just did... but let's just say, HYPOTHETICALLY, that I decided to ship regular mail because the thing was pretty small and I wanted to save on shipping... Would it be ok NOT to enter a tracking number, or would I be screwed? Smiley LOL

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I rarely use tracking.

But I should point out that my customers tend to be people who not only read, but actively enjoy following instructions . So they know what they are buying, when it is likely to arrive, and what to do if there is a problem.

I believe you would have no problems if you shipped your books without tracking, but you should certainly use Tracking on any electronic equipment.  Different customer demographics.

Tracking is a criterion for Top Rated Seller status (which gives some discounts) in the USA. But not in Canada, where tracked packages are very expensive.

If you do not track, and a customer claims his purchase did not arrive, just refund. You can't prove otherwise. (And he might be right.)

If you do track, you will be charging a lot for shipping, which may price your items too high and lose you customers.

Your choice.

It's a tough one when you are starting out.

FWIW- I protect myself and my profits with a mixture of Cookie Jar Insurance and using discount postage stamps.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Most of what I ship in Canada goes via non-tracked lettermail as well as all International (except USA).

It's not a problem unless a buyer indicates the delivery was late when/if they leave feedback and when/if they answer the question about delivery date with "no".

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You are in Canada. Tracking is not an ebay.ca requirement.

I use oversize lettermail in Canada and Small Packet Air (USA and International) with few problems (neither have tracking).

Electronics I would probably pick tracked (higher risk) versus books, cds, dvds, cheap coins, oddball stuff (which I'm quite willing to send untracked).

-..-

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You will also want to be careful, if you are charging 12$ for shipping and you send it for 1.80$ then you will get some upset customers.. if it is small and you don't require tracking, then you need to adjust your shipping fees accordingly..

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply