Why a refunded undelivered item (lost in mail) be considered late delivery?

arteis
Community Member

It seems that more and more transaction problems count as "late delivery".

For example 2 of the item I've sold never arrived so I've refunded the buyers.

But these transactions are also showing in the "late shipment" report?

It's probably because of the "Did you received the item before date" question, they answer no which is obvious as the item never arrived! The system could simply not count refunded undelivered item as "late shipped" even when the answer to the question is no.

Also items that are late arrival are considered late shipped which is a LIE!

I can ship 5 minutes after sale and the item can still arrived late but you can't say it was shipped late.

I do not use tracking services (it cost more than the value of the items) so 2-3% of my item never arrived and I refund them no problem, I still save more on shipping. But the standard needed to keep the top-seller rating is lower than the standard delivered by Canada-Post.

I do not get why item I ship on Monday have 50% more chance to get dinged for "late shipment".

I am discouraged as I am responsible for something I have no control on.

Keven Noel

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Why a refunded undelivered item (lost in mail) be considered late delivery?

tyler@ebay wrote:

@arteis wrote:

It's probably because of the "Did you received the item before date" question, they answer no which is obvious as the item never arrived! The system could simply not count refunded undelivered item as "late shipped" even when the answer to the question is no.

I can ship 5 minutes after sale and the item can still arrived late but you can't say it was shipped late.

I do not use tracking services (it cost more than the value of the items) so 2-3% of my item never arrived and I refund them no problem, I still save more on shipping. But the standard needed to keep the top-seller rating is lower than the standard delivered by Canada-Post.

I do not get why item I ship on Monday have 50% more chance to get dinged for "late shipment".

Keven Noel

Hi @arteis - thanks for sharing what you're seeing on your account. I want to clarify a few things about late shipment to make sure you're aware of all ways to get credit for this metric (there are three).

First: Ship with tracking and get an 'acceptance' scan within your stated handling time. If that is done you receive credit for shipping on time, regardless of anything else that happens.

Or

Second: Ship with tracking and the item scans as delivered by the estimated delivery date given to the buyer. 

Or

Third: When leaving feedback, the buyer selects that they did get the item in time (by the latest estimated delivery date based on the information provided in the listing).

If any of those conditions are met, the item is considered shipped 'on time', even if the other two come back as negative. If there is no tracking and the buyer chooses not to answer the question it is not counted in your shipping metrics.

In the scenario you described (a member never receiving an item, issuing them a refund, and getting an on-time shipping miss) that sounds valid: a buyer is still able to leave feedback for a transaction even if the transaction has to be cancelled or an Item not Received request is opened and closed with a refund. If either of the other two options were met, you would have credit for it as on-time, even though it was refunded.

I know you've said that your business model doesn't support using tracked services, and I respect that. However, you are leaving yourself only option 3 to get credit for an on-time shipment. It doesn't appear to have impacted your business thus far, and I'm glad to hear it. The Top Rated Plus discount is the way we incentivize behaviors we feel lead to repeat buyers on the platform and from you. I recognize that the 10% discount may not make financial sense for you if moving to tracking would cost more than that, but I think it may be something worth investigating.

If you have concerns about specific transactions from your detailed shipping report I encourage you to contact Customer Support by phone or by social media (Twitter or Facebook) and they'll be happy to review it with you. Thanks!

@tyler.com

I will stick my neck out again.

Please quit applyng what works in the US to Canada with the tracking garbage.

If tacking here was as cheap in the US, we would use it

Message 21 of 72
latest reply

And it isn't, it doesn't, yet we all still choose to continue living in Canada and selling on ebay.

I don't see much point in complaining about the situation when it's been clear since the 'new' system of evaluation was introduced what we were 'supposed' to do to deal with it. 

Yes, it sucks. But we're still here. 

Moving on. 

Message 22 of 72
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

And it isn't, it doesn't, yet we all still choose to continue living in Canada and selling on ebay.

I don't see much point in complaining about the situation when it's been clear since the 'new' system of evaluation was introduced what we were 'supposed' to do to deal with it. 

Moving on. 

I am not complaining about the situation, as I am well aware of what it is, just about people and Ebay staff that keep rubbing it in our faces.

Message 23 of 72
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Moving on. 

I don't think your name is tyler so please don't answer on his behalf!

Message 24 of 72
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@arteis wrote:

Keven Noel

Hi @arteis - thanks for sharing what you're seeing on your account. I want to clarify a few things about late shipment to make sure you're aware of all ways to get credit for this metric (there are three).

First: Ship with tracking and get an 'acceptance' scan within your stated handling time. If that is done you receive credit for shipping on time, regardless of anything else that happens.

Or

Second: Ship with tracking and the item scans as delivered by the estimated delivery date given to the buyer. 

Or

Third: When leaving feedback, the buyer selects that they did get the item in time (by the latest estimated delivery date based on the information provided in the listing).

If any of those conditions are met, the item is considered shipped 'on time', even if the other two come back as negative. If there is no tracking and the buyer chooses not to answer the question it is not counted in your shipping metrics.

In the scenario you described (a member never receiving an item, issuing them a refund, and getting an on-time shipping miss) that sounds valid: a buyer is still able to leave feedback for a transaction even if the transaction has to be cancelled or an Item not Received request is opened and closed with a refund. If either of the other two options were met, you would have credit for it as on-time, even though it was refunded.

I know you've said that your business model doesn't support using tracked services, and I respect that. However, you are leaving yourself only option 3 to get credit for an on-time shipment. It doesn't appear to have impacted your business thus far, and I'm glad to hear it. The Top Rated Plus discount is the way we incentivize behaviors we feel lead to repeat buyers on the platform and from you. I recognize that the 10% discount may not make financial sense for you if moving to tracking would cost more than that, but I think it may be something worth investigating.

If you have concerns about specific transactions from your detailed shipping report I encourage you to contact Customer Support by phone or by social media (Twitter or Facebook) and they'll be happy to review it with you. Thanks!

@tyler.com

I will stick my neck out again.

Please quit applyng what works in the US to Canada with the tracking garbage.

If tacking here was as cheap in the US, we would use it

Hi @dutchman48 - I'm not sure I know what you mean. The reality is this expectation is the same, from US to Canada. I can't change that. I know that tracking is expensive, and can absolutely outweigh a 10% discount on fees. That's why it's a business decision everyone needs to make.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 72
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 26 of 72
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @dutchman48 - I'm not sure I know what you mean. The reality is this expectation is the same, from US to Canada. I can't change that. I know that tracking is expensive, and can absolutely outweigh a 10% discount on fees. That's why it's a business decision everyone needs to make.

Hi Tyler, and thank you for posting a response directly on this thread. 

I'd like to first respond to your comment above, although it's an aside.  Yes, eBay's expectation is the same from the US to Canada, but many of us feel that there was no recognition on eBay's part of the shipping realities outside the U.S. when designing this "on-time delivery" policy.  I don't want to pick at an old wound, but this was the biggest fear and complaint about the policy when it was introduced.  There were a few simple "tweaks" suggested by Canadian sellers at the time that would have helped us tremendously to cope with the higher costs and risks associated with shipping from Canada, but eBay decided not to adopt any of these ideas.  So here we are.  

To get back to the subject of this discussion, and again with respect, I think you and another poster here have missed the point of the OP's complaint.  

The OP has been on eBay since 2001, and I expect he understands the shipping options available to him and the risks involved.  In fact, it seems he's done very well so far retaining his TRS status by making the shipping choices he has made.   Reiterating the eBay tracking/on-time delivery policy isn't going to help illuminate or solve the particular problem the OP described.   

His issue, as described in the original post, is not with eBay's on-time policy per se, but with the idea that a seller should receive two punishments from eBay for the same infraction.  My question to you was -- why?  Not why we need to use tracking to avoid defects (I think most of us who have been here a few years understand that all too well), but why, if we don't use tracking, we should be punished twice for the same transaction.  Can you please explain why these two incidents -- an actual late delivery, as opposed to a non-delivery refunded by the seller -- are not  set up in eBay's background programming to be mutually exclusive? 

Please understand, I'm also not asking how it happened that the OP got two black marks for the one infraction.  I assume the buyer must have answered the "on-time" question with a "No", which resulted in the late delivery mark.  My point (and I think the OP's too) was why eBay allows the buyer to do this.  It seems to me that once a seller refunds a buyer for a non-delivery claim, that should be the end of the buyer's ability to opine on late delivery.   In other words, should eBay not change its site programming to be fair to sellers in this regard? 

This seems analogous to the concept eBay applied some time ago to the shipping cost DSR -- once a seller provides free shipping, the ability for the buyer to leave a DSR opinion on cost disappears.   Why can't the same concept be applied here?  Or is there a reason eBay doesn't want to apply it?  Once a buyer receives a full refund for a non-delivery or loss claim, why not remove the on-time delivery question entirely?  As 'reallynicestamps' said, the one should logically, and fairly, supersede the other.  

Put a different way, why does eBay believe that a buyer who has been refunded in full for a non-delivery claim should still be entitled to answer a question about late delivery?  Not whether buyers can -- we all know that's possible, from the OP's report -- but why eBay believes this is fair to sellers.  Is there perhaps a technical reason why the "Question" itself can't be made unavailable to, or hidden from, the buyer at that point? 

I'm sure many of us here who are struggling with shipping risks would be keenly interested in knowing why eBay takes this stance, and would appreciate direct answers from eBay on the substance of the OP's original issue, not (forgive me for saying so) another lesson on shipping and tracking. 

Incidentally, is it still true that a seller can only receive one defect per discrete transaction?  I seem to vaguely recall old eBay policy on this point, but I would have to spend hours looking for the specific text.  If this is still the case, then the double-jeopardy described above would be moot, and that would be some comfort to those of us who are not in a position to afford tracking on a regular basis and must make the difficult choice between tracking or risking defects.  

Message 27 of 72
latest reply

Curious to know if the system picks up the specific details about an international shipment when it gets delayed in customs causing the shipment to be delivered late. Customs delays can be caused by a number of reasons when 2 borders processing packages are involved. Incorrect information on the customs form by the seller,  backlog of freight in customs or random closer inspections. The last 2 the seller have no control of. Is the system smart enough to spot these occurrences?

-CM

Message 28 of 72
latest reply

“Is the system smart enough to spot these occurrences.”

To my knowledge, no. If a buyer claims INR, it’s INR if no Delivery Confirmation exists regardless of the reason being a Customs delay. A seller would have to escalate or appeal in order to have Customer Service view the case and even them the only ‘forgIveness’ that might be granted is if tracking says the buyer refused delivery. Even that I’m not certain would absolve the seller of refund obligation. It’s a tricky position where Customs are involved and the official advice from
eBay would probably be to pay for a carrier service that guarantees delivery (like Xpresspost or Priority) within x number of days.
Message 29 of 72
latest reply

Ditto for Late Shipments.
Message 30 of 72
latest reply

There is no ‘punishment’ involved in having to refund a buyer for an INR. If so, please show me that metric on your Seller Dashboard because I don’t have one on mine.
Message 31 of 72
latest reply

So if that is the case, sellers are guilty until proven innocent and its up to them to show why a package could have arrived late. Wonder how many buyers actually visit the tracking sites to confirm package transit details before clicking late and sellers follow up once they've been tagged with a late shipment especially if they are high volume sellers? Isn't "Customs" a portion of the delivery time and should be considered in their data? Also this information would not be visible even though it is a factor for non-trackable items. Like the old computer adage..."Garbage in, Garbage out". Regarding using Xpresspost, most customers would not be willing to pay an excessive amount for a low value item. Once they choose/decide on the low cost option they should be signing away their rights to high expectations on delivery.

-CM

Message 32 of 72
latest reply

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 2.03.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-19 at 2.04.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-19 at 2.05.55 PM.png

If a defect equals punishment then the only 'punishments' are for out-of-stock and closed without seller attempts to resolve.

Late Shipment Reports are just that: marks. Technically speaking, Late Shipment reports aren't defects, they're simply 'marked as late'. A seller can have up to five per cent before there becomes an issue that might be punished.

Looking at this from the perspective of an ebay BUYER which I still am, an item that doesn't arrive equals disappointment and refund. An item that arrives late also equals disappointment. 

Ebay is trying to mitigate the number of disappointments its buyers experience. Disappointed buyers affect all sellers, not just the seller who disappointed them. 

Having an item not arrive at all due to postal loss or theft is something sellers all have to deal with. That's the reason some choose tracking, others third-party insurance and yet others self-insured.

It's business. Making it personal serves no purpose other than to evoke emotions and waste proviso energy. 

Also, there's been about 30 posts by everyone and their neighbour's dog on this topic but the OP isn't back yet to offer a second opinion or provide feedback on any of the advice. We're arguing amongst ourselves for no reason at this point. Also pointless. 

For the third time, I'm moving on to other matters now. 

Message 33 of 72
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

So if that is the case, sellers are guilty until proven innocent and its up to them to show why a package could have arrived late. Wonder how many buyers actually visit the tracking sites to confirm package transit details before clicking late and sellers follow up once they've been tagged with a late shipment especially if they are high volume sellers? Isn't "Customs" a portion of the delivery time and should be considered in their data? Also this information would not be visible even though it is a factor for non-trackable items. Like the old computer adage..."Garbage in, Garbage out". Regarding using Xpresspost, most customers would not be willing to pay an excessive amount for a low value item. Once they choose/decide on the low cost option they should be signing away their rights to high expectations on delivery.

-CM

Pretty much, that's never been any other way. The onus has always been on seller to provide Proof of Delivery whether it's to ebay or paypal in order to be eligible for Seller Protection. It's like Lesson One here. Proof of Shipment is adequate for buying (and claiming) most third-party insurance at least. 

But no seller who ships with tracking gets a Late Shipment mark so long as they got their Acceptance Scan on time. Even if the item sits at Customs for two weeks, there is no Late Shipment report made possible for the buyer. The buyer can leave the seller one-star Detailed Seller Ratings but a one-star feedback is currently meaningless for metrics on seller evaluation as far as ebay is concerned. 

It's another matter with INRs and customs. That's more complicated. 

Also, I'm not suggesting Xpresspost International is worth it just to get the buyer their item in six business days... unless the buyer needs it that fast for some reason. (And pays for it.) I have upgraded buyers to Xpresspost on my dime in rare circumstances but not often.

Message 34 of 72
latest reply

rose-dee wrote:.... Incidentally, is it still true that a seller can only receive one defect per discrete transaction?  I seem to vaguely recall old eBay policy on this point, but I would have to spend hours looking for the specific text.  If this is still the case, then the double-jeopardy described above would be moot, and that would be some comfort to those of us who are not in a position to afford tracking on a regular basis and must make the difficult choice between tracking or risking defects.  

"We don't count more than 1 defect per transaction."

See the screenshots I provided under Transaction Defect Rate. 

Message 35 of 72
latest reply

"...must make the difficult choice between tracking or risking defects."

A Late Shipment report is NOT a defect.

There are only two possible defects. One is to cancel an order for being out-of-stock. The other is to allow an open whatever-kind-of-case to go to ebay without meaningful intervention. 

This information isn't hidden someplace tricky to find. It's on the Seller Dashboard. We all have one. 

Message 36 of 72
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification Momcqueen. Appreciated. My main concern was/is that the information displayed is accurate, includes all facts and especially if down the road eBay were to make a change and possibly start applying this data in some way, shape or form. With all the changes eBay makes its getting difficult for the average seller to remember all the rules especially when some things are really out of their control.  Attempt at humour(humor) below.

-CM

Image result for weird traffic laws in the us

Message 37 of 72
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

The clock starts ticking when the customer pays, not when the seller marks the item as shipped.

I've been waiting 2 weeks for 4 CDN orders that were all marked as shipped the day after purchase. Thanks for caring,  but the postmark doesn't lie.

I always ship the same day, and have never been marked for a late delivery.

Most of the time, even my U.S. orders are arriving before or just a day or 2 after the initial estimated delivery date.

Perhaps you need to review your 'Business Policies - Shipping' to increase delivery estimates.

Message 38 of 72
latest reply

@momcqueen

The problem is that the seller may ship on time, but the buyer can still mark that as Late Shipment, when she means Late Delivery.

Tracking prevents that, but again low value sellers (like me) use other methods* to mitigate our losses on Not Delivered claims.

@mccrim

In theory the postmark would give the date of shipment , but not every package gets postmarked immediately. I drop  my (untracked ) packages in a postbox and they are picked up a few hours later. But they may not get postmarked until they take the ferry ride over to the mainland.

And the philatelic community, which looooooves postmarks, are constantly complaining about larger packages which are cancelled on the receiver's doorstep with a Sharpie.

All of which may just explain why Late Shipment is not a Defect (note capital D).

*Cookie Jar Insurance

Message 39 of 72
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote (edited for brevity)

To get back to the subject of this discussion, and again with respect, I think you and another poster here have missed the point of the OP's complaint.  

His issue, as described in the original post, is not with eBay's on-time policy per se, but with the idea that a seller should receive two punishments from eBay for the same infraction.  My question to you was -- why?   Can you please explain why these two incidents -- an actual late delivery, as opposed to a non-delivery refunded by the seller -- are not  set up in eBay's background programming to be mutually exclusive? 

It seems to me that once a seller refunds a buyer for a non-delivery claim, that should be the end of the buyer's ability to opine on late delivery.   In other words, should eBay not change its site programming to be fair to sellers in this regard?

Incidentally, is it still true that a seller can only receive one defect per discrete transaction

Hi @rose-dee! I'm sorry, but I think I may have missed something. I'm not seeing that the OP mentioned being double dinged for the transactions, just that 2 items were considered late shipments when they never arrived. It sounds like @arteis issued refunds for those items, which is most certainly a financial loss, but not an eBay imposed 'punishment'.

When a buyer has not received an item, this would be accurately considered a late delivery mark. The item did not arrive on time, since it did not arrive at all. Though a refund is the right thing to do to resolve the buyer's concerns, it does not warrant the removal of this kind of late delivery miss as we are recording that there was an issue with the order. Even when handled appropriately, there was still an issue with the transaction itself, which is why the question remains on the Feedback page, even if the purchase was refunded.

The Transaction Defect system only looks at two criteria: Transactions cancelled for being out of stock and Cases closed without resolution. There are other metrics involved, like late shipment rate and cases closed without seller resolution (as a standalone metric), but they aren't considered defects in and of themselves.

In answer to your second question: it is possible to receive a defect as well as missing other metrics for the same transaction (for example, a case closed without seller resolution will count as a miss for its own metric as well as a transaction defect).

I may have missed something in my review, but ultimately if Keven finds something in his late shipment report that appears suspect it can definitely be raised with CS. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 72
latest reply