how many people on ebay.ca would actually prefer COD?

Did you have any sales that way? How much did you save in fees or is it about the same?

by the way for anyone that doesn't know. COD is Cash on Delivery.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyers hate paying for shipping.

Adding COD at an additional cost of $8 would be a sales killer.

You should however consider FREE SHIPPINGDON'T PANIC copy.jpeg

Free Shipping just means adding your shipping costs into your asking price.

Which is cheapest:

A $10 item with $5 Shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

This only works well when the cost of shipping is Flat across the shipping area.

I can use LetterPost  for most of my items, since they are less than 500gr and less than 2cm thick.

I can send a 99gr item anywhere in Canada for $1.80 and anywhere in the USA for $2.95.  Which takes care of my two largest markets.

These prices are for an untracked and untrackable service. What do you plan to sell? What is the price range on your items?

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Don't even think about COD!

Beyond not being a "legal" payment method on eBay it's simply asking for trouble in a million ways.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Cash on Delivery ...yes That's the beauty of selling on Kijiji, Facebook, or for eBay local pickup items, etc!

Occasionally back in the early days of eBay sending cash in the mail was mildly acceptable for eBay transactions....but I would never even consider it as acceptable for eBay transactions these days....

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

No... Just, no.

I want to be paid upfront with Paypal before I ship my eBay sales. Other payment method takes up too much of my time. I usually deal with my eBay sales when I'm not working, like at 10pm at night. That's why I don't use Craiglist or Kijiji unless it's something that's meant for local only (like furnitures).

I have had the odd occasion on my website where people mailed me cash and money order, and that's okay since there is no such thing as feedback or INR or late defects on my website.
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

there is something called "payment on pick up" Couldn't that be Cash on delivery? did I understand wrong?
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

where do you make most of your money in here or on your website?
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

COD via Canada Post doesn’t have the same implications as Cash on Pickup.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

It’s an acronym for Collect on Delivery when you’re referring to the postal service.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=how_to_send_and_rece&cattype=kb&cat...
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

is it more expensive?
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Yes it is more expensive but more important is that you would be sending your item out before you were paid.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Canada Post charges $7.25 for COD (Collect on Delivery) plus cost of shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=how_to_send_and_rece

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Buyers hate paying for shipping.

Adding COD at an additional cost of $8 would be a sales killer.

You should however consider FREE SHIPPINGDON'T PANIC copy.jpeg

Free Shipping just means adding your shipping costs into your asking price.

Which is cheapest:

A $10 item with $5 Shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

This only works well when the cost of shipping is Flat across the shipping area.

I can use LetterPost  for most of my items, since they are less than 500gr and less than 2cm thick.

I can send a 99gr item anywhere in Canada for $1.80 and anywhere in the USA for $2.95.  Which takes care of my two largest markets.

These prices are for an untracked and untrackable service. What do you plan to sell? What is the price range on your items?

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

how do we even find out how much each specific item is for shipping? also how do we ship? a courier service or a Canada post service? Also (maybe irrelevant) Can I ask for the buyers signature as a precaution when the item arrives to them? Would getting the signature cost anything extra? Thanks
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s3

Play with this.

Use METRIC . Canada Post went metric in 1974 and anything else will be guesswork.

Canada Post is so cheap compared to couriers that the couriers sub-contract rural and isolated deliveries to Canada Post.

Signature Confirmation costs $1.50. Use it when you feel that the customer is hinky or if the item would really hurt you to lose.

Signature Confirmation is REQUIRED for items over $750 including postage.

Protip: Don't sell anything that will cost more than the number of feedback you have received. (Don't offer anything valued at $100 until your FB is over 100).

Have you ever purchased anything on eBay? Start with shipping supplies like polyenvelopes. I use e_mailers.ca who leave immediate feedback and supply good products at a reasonable price.

If you are willing to tell us what you plan to sell, you will get some focussed advice. I sell postage, postage stamps, sewing pattern, postcards, and vintage paperbacks. I know nothing about electronics.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

It is very important to do your research before pursuing listing on eBay or any selling venue. It's not as simple as listing and then trying to sort out what you are going to do if the item sells. Read up on everything shipping...the options for shipping whether it be a bonafide courier, Canada Post,etc. Know what you are doing and how you are doing it before you list. Keep in mind Fedex and UPS charge brokerage fees to the recipient for any cross-border shipments. Check out type of packaging, packaging materials, packing materials,etc. that will be needed to get that item shipped out and for it to arrive without damage. Do a preliminary packaging by packaging an item you intend to list, pack it, measure and weigh, estimate additional weight for that final taping up and use that information on whatever shipping method you plan to use to get shipping costs estimates- which is easy to do on Canada Post website.

A tape measure and a postal scale are an online sellers best friends.

Generally speaking large,bulky, heavy weight items are not economically feasible for shipping costs will be huge.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
How is COD going to work?
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134wrote:

Did you have any sales that way? How much did you save in fees or is it about the same?

Don't even consider COD for eBay shipping.  Really, forget the idea completely.  It's so unworkable for eBay sales in so many ways that it would take me several paragraphs to explain.  All the eBay-related problems aside, many people aren't even familiar with the concept anymore.  Just don't do it.   For the most part, buyers on eBay are used to having to pay up front (through Paypal mostly), so you're not creating any advantage for yourself even if the idea of COD weren't fraught with problems for eBay selling. 

Take the advice offered above and thoroughly investigate Canada Post's regular services.  What you actually choose will depend on the size, weight, and value of the items you're selling.  Get a small, $20 weigh scale from your local Wal-Mart so you can weigh your items accurately.  If they're higher value (say, over about $75) you may be able to afford to use a tracked air service.  And don't use any international surface (i.e. not air) services -- this will only get you late delivery defects as a seller.  

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

What do I choose for international shipment. I havent a clue.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

I havent thought much about it. I just like buying and flipping stuff. What if I sold something for 50. Would you recommend even less? Just looking to increase my income by around 200 300 maybe. And ebay will be only a part of it.
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

No plans. I just buy and flip stuff.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply