"Sell it yourself" takes you to original country Ebay site - not helpful

Hello,

I'm new to Ebay and have an account with .ca. I've found that I cannot use the 'Sell it yourself' button when I find similar items posted on other Ebay sites eg .com or .uk. What happens is when I click on 'Sell it yourself' - it takes me to the respective original country sites and I am unable to use the information to create a similar listing on my .ca account. The listings appear in USD or other currencies.

I communicated this to Ebay customer service a week ago. They said they would look into it but I haven't heard anything back. Hopefully someone out there knows if I'm doing something wrong or if this is an Ebay issue?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: "Sell it yourself" takes you to original country Ebay site - not helpful

@pruninglife wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to Ebay and have an account with .ca. I've found that I cannot use the 'Sell it yourself' button when I find similar items posted on other Ebay sites eg .com or .uk. What happens is when I click on 'Sell it yourself' - it takes me to the respective original country sites and I am unable to use the information to create a similar listing on my .ca account. The listings appear in USD or other currencies.

I communicated this to Ebay customer service a week ago. They said they would look into it but I haven't heard anything back. Hopefully someone out there knows if I'm doing something wrong or if this is an Ebay issue?

Many thanks

devon@ebay 

@pruninglife 

Could you address this issue please for OP? Thanks.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

This an ebay issue. Sell similar only works for the same marketplace.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

It has always been like this.  When you use Sell it Yourself, it defaults to the site the listing is on.   You need to search for an item that is located in Canada.  On the search page selected Located in Canada, as shown.

You can also end up with a Canadian that is listing on .com, so check the listing to see if the primary currency is US$ or CDN$. 

location.jpg

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

yes as long as I can remember that's the way it has worked= If I want to save any of the pertinent  info I do a screenshot or bookmark the page &/or do a copy & paste of any info to a file,etc...there are many ways to store the info for any item listed on any eBay site...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Exactly what I do as well.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

As you know, we can list on other sites, in the currency of that site and using Flat Rate shipping.

While personally I would prefer to use the "copypasta" suggestion above, you could also use Sell Similar, and when the selling form comes up, FIRST scroll down and change the location of your item to your own, assuming that you have the product in hand and are not dropshipping from Addis Abba, then correct any other points/values that would differ.

Or you could list as is, then from the preview go back to Revise Listing (it won't upload for 24 hours) and revise then.

PS the Singapore ball cap shows as pale blue on my monitor, not as pink. Monitors do differ.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@pruninglife wrote:

Hello,

Many thanks

devon@ebay 

@pruninglife 

Could you address this issue please for OP? Thanks.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! Thank you for tagging me in on this. @pruninglife Do you have screenshots that you could share for when you click on "Sell it yourself"? I want to see if I can get this into the right teams hands so they can look into this to see if this is possibly more widespeard. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

devon@ebay 

It is definitely widespread but AFAIK it has always worked like that so it is probably working as intended.  I imagine that it would be difficult to program it so that a US originated listing with $US and USPS options changed into a .ca listing in $C with Canada Post options just because I clicked sell similar for that listing  on .ca. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Unfortunately, New sellers have expectations that go far beyond reality on eBay...

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Yes, it has been like this forever but it is dumb! It would  be trivial for ebay to modify the "Sell Like" functionality to NOT import any currency/domestic shipping location settings into the template for a new auction and if they wanted, just pull your defaults from your current account profile settings to pre-populate those fields. 

Yes, we can always copy/paste items and fill things in, but I don't understand how that helps ebay or the seller towards the end goal of selling the item - a faster auction posting process would facilitate that. 

(Sorry for the bump but found this thread via a google search)

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

eBay does NOTHING to help Canadian sellers...we are a pitance to eBay and are treated as second rate in every way...expect something/feel the need for something on this site= Get nothing/to eBay it is not worth the bother...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

What's it got to do with Canadian sellers?  This is how the "Have One To Sell?" works on every eBay site in the world. It actually HAS to work that way for many reasons. In most cases some of the things in a .com, .uk, .de etc are different than what you would use on a different site. Categories, Item Specifics and of course currency plus a few other things.

There are several things that Canadian sellers get that nobody else gets. The critical one is LOWER fees.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I don't know a lot about programming but I doubt that it would be trivial to automatically change currency and shipping options on a listing from another site.  They tried doing something like that when the .ca site went from a dual currency site to a single currency site and that didn't work well.  

It might have been easy to do when the systems were first set up but st this point, my guess is that it woukd fairly complicated for something that would benefit a limited amount of sellers.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

swamp3r
Community Member

I don't know when this change happened exactly but I can confirm that "Sell It Yourself" successfully worked when I used on a German listing - I was able to add Canada Post as local shipping + International without issue. It also imported relevant details from the listing.... so, it looks like we got what we wanted! 😁

Was there an announcement about this? 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I noticed that the other day. If you are on .ca and click on sell now on a listing that originated on .com or another site, the listing stays on .ca.  But if you are on another site such as .com and you click on a listing originating on .ca or another site, the listing will stay on .com.

I've never seen any announcement but its common for ebay to make changes like that without making any sort of announcement.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply