social security number for MP

I thought I had finished signing up for MP, now they are asking for my social security number. Do I have to give that?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: social security number for MP

Hi again, himacdon.  It seems while i was typing my long message Tyler posted the additional information about your situation.  So it seems you're all set.

Let's both report back here later, after we register, to record what happened to us for the information of all concerned.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

My speculation is that sellers like us, who sell in Canada but originally registered on .com will get 2 invitations.  One from .com and one from .ca.  It seems that you got the .com invitation first, whereas i got the .ca invitation first.  That's the only difference between us.

I would speculate further, that since your ability to list and revise has not been disbled yet, that it won't happen to you....probably because the .com rollout seems to be a lot gentler and more spread out than the rather harsh, abrupt and chaotic Canadian rollout seems to be. 

So i think you'll be ok for a while

While my registration invitation was through a .com link, that is where I sell exclusively these days and have done for quite some time. The invitation emails as well as outrearch from a managed payments rep by phone (sadly missed their call) and email were specfiically tailored to Canada as well but with .com registration links, hence my need for clarity given the previous guidance from Tyler and difficulties encountered by others. My warning date was for the 15th as the last dayto be able to create, relist, and revise along with a 20% off fees discount for July offer to encourage registation.

I'm not fussed as to when I register as the system is changing like it or not, I just want to ensure it done correctly and I'm enrolled through the correct workflow into the correct country's system as I like many others I have many years invested into my selling account and don't want fund stuck in limbo due to an incorrect registration. From a business point of view it's preferable to get all the kinds in the resulting process changes done in the slower summer months as well. Last thing I want to be messing around with come fall when things are traditionally busier.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

For general information.

To recap.  i am a Canadian seller, always have been.  I registered on ebay.com in 2000 and have mostly sold on ebay.com, with a few listings and sales on ebay.ca for the last approx. 2 years.  I have an ebay.com store.

I received my invitation to MP from ebay.ca.  On my .ca Seller Hub i was able to register.  On my .com Seller Hub i was NOT able to register.

I just fully completed registration, it took under 15 minutes and was very similar to the process i recall for registering a bank account with Paypal, albeit with a few more questions and i had to input a drivers lisence number (there was an option to use SIN which i declined by checking a box).

Before all this MP stuff began i owned 2 chequing accounts at 2 different backs.  One was for general finances and the other was originally intended to be a 'mad money' account that i ended up using in a hodge podge way and not as i originally intended.  So rather than sign up for a brand new chequing account i used this one to receive my MP funds in.

I selected the bank type (eg Royal Bank, TD etc) from a list and was prompted to sign into my bank account (much like when receiving an Interac payment).  I was promised Ebay would not be able to see my username or password (more on this later).

I signed into my bank account, all the account infromation was correctly prefilled on my registration form and i clicked submit.  And that was it, i was registered.  As i said surprisingly easy.  No documents to submit.  Not yet anyway.

I received a message from Ebay stating that i would be informed 2 weeks prior to being switched over to MP and that i may be asked for further documentation at a later date.

First thing i did after i was done registering was change my bank account password.  Not that i don't trust Ebay, but i would do that anytime filling in an online form where i give both username and password.

My ability to list and revise was immediatly restored.  So things are back to normal for at least 2 more weeks it seems, or at least for 2 weeks after i get the notification from Ebay that i am being switched to MP.

Himacdon: your experience will probably be different from mine, since you have to go through the .com link, but maybe not, you may just get redirected to the same form i used.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

My ability to list and revise was immediatly restored.  So things are back to normal for at least 2 more weeks it seems, or at least for 2 weeks after i get the notification from Ebay that i am being switched to MP.

Himacdon: your experience will probably be different from mine, since you have to go through the .com link, but maybe not, you may just get redirected to the same form i used.

Had a first crack at it but will have to complete after I'm done my next call as I ran into some questions I had to get answered with a rep. The rep in this case was aware of the previous issue with .com registered accounts needing registration country changed but was not aware that this has since changed per Tyler's message and we didn't need to have that updated and go through a .ca link. There was "Canadian" content in the steps I did go through to the extent that it defaulted my Country or region to Canada per my ebay profile and the payout currency option listed both currencies.

The one snag I ran into is that for business accounts we have to specfify both our legal business name and any trade (DBA) name. In the bank account linking it defaults the account holder name to the legal business name and is grayed out so you can't change it. In my case the bank account is in the DBA name. The rep I spoke to seemed to think this may still pass verification as they would have both pieces of information as part of the details you submit when signing up but I'll see if that is a problem. They did confirm that the restrctions shouldn't take place as long as registration is submitted, but reassuring to hear that your restrictions were immediately lifted after you signed up. I'll see if anything pops up when I complete registration later today.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

one thing i just realized is that nowhere during my registration did it ask me what frequency i wanted my payouts to be (daily, weekly, monthly).  I assume this will come later, once my registration is activated?  Or did i miss something?

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@fergua3 I believe payment frequency is something you can adjust from your payments section in the dashboard once you registration has been approved.

tyler@ebay  Completed sign up.  Country field default to Canadian during signup per account settings. Other fields seem localized for Canada correctly (ie SIN and not SSN) and the option for the payout currency offered both CAD and USD. As far as I can tell there were no indicators that I was being pushed through a registration intended for US sellers.

Only thing I had a concern about and rep wasn't able to answer definitely was in relation to bank account holder names. During the setup for business acounts we can specify the legal name and DBA/operating names for the business. Bank account is in DBA in my case. Sign up defaults the account holder name to the legal business name and can't be changed to DBA. Rep seemed to think it would be ok as they get provided both but we shall see.

As my selling account isn't a personal account the localized Canadian bank options don't show the Canadian banks per the signup screenshots in the registration email. In my case it just asked to specify the account number and transit and institution numbers. Wasn't sure if that was due to the regitration going through the .com link or just a difference in the business versus personal account flows but anyone going through the .com signup may want to have that information handy when doing the registration just in case. 

The rep I spoke to was aware of the previous guidance on changing country of registration, but wasn't aware of the information you had received today and relayed here. I'll post back if anything else comes up as they go through the review process.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Very good to hear @hlmacdon - I'm going to get your question regarding account holder names escalated and I'll keep you posted if I hear anything back. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay  appreciate you taking the time to try to get information on that as I'm sure there will be others in the same situation. 

Message 28 of 28
latest reply