Want to pay by money order,ebay won't let me access seller's address

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Want to pay by money order,ebay won't let me access seller's address

After you've made a purchase, you can request an invoice, as long as the seller is understanding and accepts money orders and is willing to wait. When you request the invoice, ask the seller to include the mailing address and try to mail with a service that you have a very good idea how long they should wait, to expect your payment.  Then follow up with them in a week to find out if they have received and if there is tracking available. Hope this will help?

-CM

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

May I inquire as to the reason you want to use a money order?
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You can ask if you may pay be money order, but the seller is not required to accept it.

The seller may not demand a money order from you in payment.

ALL payments must be trackable, so that eBay can see that the seller has been paid and that the seller cannot open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

If you pay by money order, and the seller sends something unacceptable or does not ship at all, eBay will not help you.

You  can phone eBay and ask for your seller's contact information. He will get yours in return.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

"If you pay by money order, and the seller sends something unacceptable or does not ship at all, eBay will not help you."

This was the part that concerns me, I thought it so but was looking for confirmation from another member. I wouldn't fund an online purchase with a money order, I'm worried the Original Poster will be ripped off. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

That was one of the reasons eBay introduced BidPay and later bought Paypal-- to provide proof of payment.

Without that, eBay was stuck in a he said/she said loop.

At that time (circa 2001-2003) tracking was not the big deal it quickly became for US sellers.

OT-- we soooooo badly need low cost tracking in Canada.

The other reasons were a new income stream from electronic payments, and the widespread MO fraud that used  Western Union 's email notifications to scam sellers. (WU had nothing to do with the scam, just to be clear.)

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946

Don't forget that eBay owned Billpoint before it purchased PayPal. However, you're correct in suggesting that the PayPal purchase was necessary to make an electronic payment policy fly, as Billpoint didn't have the critical mass of users required.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Don't trust the internet to keep my banking information secure.Also,I resent having to use paypal;ebay gets its money when a seller lists with them,why should the buyer have to pay too ?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

PayPal and eBay are separate companis and the seller pays fees to both places.  But buyers aren’t charged any fees so I’m not sure what fees you are referring to.  The one  exception is if an item is listed in a different currency than what you pay with, you are charged a conversion fee.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

You won’t be protected against fraud with a payment sent by money order. Regardless of your other concerns, a money order itself is truly high-risk.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Last I checked, money orders cost money to purchase.  Then there's the price of postage and stationery to get the money order to the seller.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I suspect the seller may decline to be paid by money order.

Perhaps you could use Interac e transfer? That doesn't share banking info. I don't know if it would be acceptable, but you certainly could prove your payment was sent.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply