EBAY STORE SUBSCRIBERS: YOUR Q4 SHIPPING SUPPLIES COUPON

From Announcements today:  

The Q4 2016 voucher codes for your eBay-branded shipping supplies discount will be emailed to qualified Canadian eBay Store subscribers during the week of October 3rd.

As usual, the voucher code can be applied to purchases made from the eBay shipping supplies Store. And, due to seller requests, eBay has introduced a value pack of shipping supplies, priced at under CAD $40 with free shipping.*

For instructions on redeeming your voucher, please see our previous announcement.

Russ Patterson
COO & Director of Product Management, eBay Canada

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

I ordered today my 100 Airjacket Envelopes 8.5" x 10.75". It seems to be a good deal. I usually order them from Uline, paying about 43 dollars for 100 pcs (if ordered 200). Ebay charged me 76.48, but because I have a premium store, I needed to pay only 6.48 dollars. Saved that way about 35 dollars ... 

Message 21 of 69
latest reply

I ordered the tissue paper - noticed that they are sending it without tracking. I thought EBay always pushed tracking?

Message 22 of 69
latest reply

if it wasn't for the coupons no one would be ordering this stuff, it is still seriously over priced.. terrible job of looking after canadian sellers.

Message 23 of 69
latest reply

If it wasn't for the coupon, I don't think eBay would expect us to order this stuff. Or make it readily available. Was it always here? I'll have to look more closely at their feedback from a desktop to see when they started selling.
Message 24 of 69
latest reply

The main problem I have with this coupon concept of eBay's (aside from the overpricing of the packing materials) is eBay's manipulative use of buyers and sellers for its own ends.  

It might be fair enough to offer us coupons for free merchandise (of our choice) on eBay as a soother for the 25% store fee hike, but some clever CEO at eBay thought: why not kill two or three birds with one stone?  

I can see the boardroom brainstorming session now -- how can we appear to mitigate the sting of a 25% fee increase by offering coupons for merchandise, but restrict that merchandise to something that will serve our purposes specifically, not the store owner's own purposes.  Of course!  EBay branded shipping supplies!  Make buyers (and sometimes sellers) pay to ship our brand everywhere sellers ship.  What could be better than free worldwide marketing?  

I must admit the scheme is brilliant.  And exploitative.  But, well, this is eBay.  I've come to expect such thinking.

Let me be clearer: had eBay offered coupons for generic shipping supplies, or a free choice of merchandise on their site, I might have been less cynical.  Had eBay offered coupons for customized store branding (for example, supplies stamped with a store owner's own logo or store name, perhaps even in conjunction with the eBay logo), I would have applauded them, even if I still considered the 25% fee hike outrageous.

Frankly, if they expect us or our buyers (through shipping costs) to pay for their corporate marketing, they should be giving this packing stuff away.  What good does it do an individual seller to pay for branded supplies that don't include his or her own brand?  So the recipient of a parcel, or the postie who handles it, may come to eBay, what of it?  What's the chance they'll actually visit that seller's store and buy from it as a result?  That's not what this branding concept is targeting.  

Once again, shame on eBay.  They've made a habit of pulling the wool over our eyes. 

And no -- I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  What gift?  Sellers should think clearly about this before praising eBay for its generosity and support.  At the very least sellers using these coupons should do so in the cold knowledge that their customers (or they) are paying to distribute eBay's corporate brand.  How much would eBay have to pay bulk postal mailing services to do the same thing worldwide?  Many sellers may have no qualms about that.  However, it doesn't make the supplies any more useful for your own store marketing purposes.  

EBay is of course doubtless also making some profit on the shipping supplies themselves, so they are double-dipping on the backs of sellers' own buyers (via shipping costs) or sellers themselves (wherever sellers are paying partly or wholly for shipping).  

As I said, a brilliant scheme.  These coupons are most definitely not "freebies".  I am incensed that eBay is touting them as some sort of seller candy, and sellers are happily eating it up. I'm not biting. Woman Frustrated

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

When the store fees increased, it wasn't for nothing. I got 1,000 listings included with my Premium store subscription from 500. That's what I wanted and had asked for. The coupon for shipping supplies is a bonus. In actuality. It's as if everyone forgot overnight our listings with subscription doubled.
Message 26 of 69
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
When the store fees increased, it wasn't for nothing. I got 1,000 listings included with my Premium store subscription from 500. That's what I wanted and had asked for. The coupon for shipping supplies is a bonus. In actuality. It's as if everyone forgot overnight our listings with subscription doubled.

Mine didn't actually double (Basic Store), but that's beside the point.  I could already have accessed far more listings than I was paying for, on both .ca and .com, using the regular listing promos.  In any event, listing fees have never been eBay's main income-generators -- FVFs and (more recently), store fees, do that job.  For sellers, listing fees aren't the biggest monthly expense as long as promos continue. 

In reality, the extra free store listings were another pacifier, just like the coupons, to soften the sting of a 25% fee hike.  

Looking at eBay's financial reporting, I think they've been grasping at straws for more money, more exposure, more marketing, and more subscribers, to get themselves out of trouble.  Regular, locked-in subscribers are the best guarantee of a steady cash flow.  And eBay just boosted that cash flow overnight by 25%.  Offering more free listings is no skin off their noses.  More listings, more FVFs. 

Message 27 of 69
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
It's as if everyone forgot overnight our listings with subscription doubled.

Really? Because of the store fees increase I was forced to downgrade from Anchor to Premium. Now, I am paying 30 dollars more for the same amount of items.

Message 28 of 69
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

Really? Because of the store fees increase I was forced to downgrade from Anchor to Premium. Now, I am paying 30 dollars more for the same amount of items.

Yes, I'll bet there were a lot of sellers who had to rethink their subscriptions as a result of the fee hike.  Being in a Basic store already, I had nowhere to go down to, so I'm stuck with it. 

You know, I could almost forgive eBay for its duplicitous ways and store fee hikes if they would just make the site work properly!  Our money doesn't seem to be going to functionality that serves us and our buyers.  

A few extra store features (besides having more listings thrown at us) would also have been nice to go along with a 25% increase.  Actually, when I think about it, store features have been cut down to the bone since I first subscribed.  Remember Omniture?  Gone.  Store Pages, Promotion Boxes, Custom Boxes, now downgraded to no longer allow customization, soon probably all gone when the new format stores become mandatory. 

If I keep thinking about all of this, I'll ruin my day.  

Message 29 of 69
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

For some sellers, the raising of the store fees and having more free listings was useless.

From 2,500 to 10,000 listings for an anchor store? Ridiculous. It was a store fee increase for many sellers who simply did not have 7,500 more items to list.

Same for Premium store from 500 to 1,000 free listings. A price increase in practice if you did not need another 500 listings. If you did need a few more, it was cheaper to just pay the listing fee for 50 more.

As for the Basic store, same thing. If you do not need the extra listings, it is a price increase only.

Message 30 of 69
latest reply

I tried, for the first time, using one of the 4 x 4 x 6 boxes yesterday. I had previously used U-Line 4 x 4 x 4 boxes.

Just as an side, the promo boxes came at a cost of about $2.00 each. I was previously paying about .37 for a smaller, more appropriate (for me) box from my local supplier. 

And was I ever thrilled to find out I was going to get hit with a "DIN weight surcharge" for a first time because the extra 2"  on the "promo" boxes would now mean what I was paying $3.91 to ship (International) would be now be about $5.75.

Sure, I can take the time and chop away at the promo box to bring it down to the size I need, not the size I now have.

But hey, there is nothing to worry about. We have been assured that San Jose is furiously working on something equitable for their Canadian contingent. Right?

The promo that keeps on giving............and giving...............and giving.................

Message 31 of 69
latest reply

Snoopwiz, Who do you ship through? 

Message 32 of 69
latest reply

CYE, SVP

Message 33 of 69
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

CYE, SVP

Comment?  Expliquez SVP. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 69
latest reply

Apparently it is

See Your Email. If You Please

It is how us pups say it.  KWIM? 🙂

but, I have been mistaken on such things.

Message 35 of 69
latest reply

Speak words... not abbreviations..... such as texting..

Texting is not one of my languages..... of understanding..

Others also!

Message 36 of 69
latest reply

OMG. My teenager texts me these abbreviations and it bugs the nuts off me. (NVM is one of her personal favourites.) I use some at home to curse at my partner so the smaller children don't understand what I am staying.... yet. I will rue this on the day when the Kindergarten teacher pulls me aside after school to alert me to the fact my son is telling everyone at recess that the time has come to 'GT*O.' 

Message 37 of 69
latest reply

Speak words... not abbreviations..... such as texting..

Texting is not one of my languages..... of understanding..

Others also!

K

🙂

Message 38 of 69
latest reply

Okay is an interesting word, both spelled in full and abbreviated. And almost universal. I've always found it a fascinating study in etymology. 

Message 39 of 69
latest reply

Not even being facetious about it neither.  Nice. !

Message 40 of 69
latest reply