Selling and coin grading

I've been selling coins from my collection and I notice that no one will ever pay more than 1 grade less than what I stated. This is the worst sale for me (I sold a 1900 round O for $20, it was in VF condition. I didn't even get VG price, talking about a total let down)
Now my question is, how can I further prove that my coin is in the stated condition and get better value for the coin.
I would think that everyone knows that pictures are very misleading, and coins can appear better in person. Am I wrong to think this?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Selling and coin grading

Hi! I see you are auctioning the items. In my experience, in my category (stamp collectors postage stamps) items auctioning tend to sell for about half of what the "fixed price" items sell for.

You might want to try listing your stuff as fixed price auctions where you set the price. It is your stuff so presumably you aren't in a rush to recover the $$$ - patience generally is rewarded with better prices (in my experience anyway).

Since you are selling your own stuff, opening a store probably would not make sense.

These are my thoughts, others will have others.....and things may be different in the "coinworld".....

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Could be because you are not using a grading company

recognized by ebay,

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/authentication.html

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ok, so either start the bid at a price I'm comfortable with, or just send them in to be certified. That makes sense when there is so many amateur graders trying to guess conditions of their coins. I've seen some pretty bad judgement calls, both over grade and under grade. Mostly over tho. This bothers me, because I like to think that I grade precisely and fairly, and since so many people over grade, people only feel comfortable paying 1 or 2 grades less than stated.
only time and constant sales will improve my clientele, and if I want more value, send all my coins to get certified.
I like to thank you both for offering your help. I appreciate all advice that will help improve my selling portfolio.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@carland52 wrote:
I've been selling coins from my collection and I notice that no one will ever pay more than 1 grade less than what I stated.

I have the impression from your post that you mean that your coins are not getting the full price guide value for the stated grade. If that's the case you need to understand that price guides are just that, "guides", it's rare that an item will sell for that price. In my case, records, I'm happy to get 50 - 70% of the recognized "price guide value" and in many cases much less.

If I have the wrong impression......whoops!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I know I won't get full value, but I would be ecstatic with 50-70% of the value. I'm gaining quite a bit of experience as I progress a a seller. And with all the advice from all these great people willing to help me out, I don't see any reason why my sales won't pick up.
This is what I did notice about coins. If you got any rare coins that you want to sell, it brings lots of clientele, especially if you start at 99cents bid, well, depending on how much you paid. this would be a good technique to advertise the rest of your items for sale.
Example: I have a 1955 arnprior Dollar that I started at 99 cents, lots of views and watchers. From all the people that bid on that coin, I have noticed a few bid on my other coins.
I hope this makes sense, and I'll thank everyone for all advice, as I would like to broaden my selling techniques, and be able to help out someone else in the future with similar issues.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

In philately, "catalogue value" is the full retail price you pay in a stamp store for a particular grade.  You might pay less if you are buying a lot of stuff, if you are a known and valued customer, or if the seller wants to make a quick turnover.

When you go to sell, you will not get that price. I can (an another ID) profitably sell mint postage at 80% of the post office price, including tax and shipping. How much do you think I pay for it? And that can be used at full face value as postage.

Accept that you are selling wholesale. I might also mention that the price of bullion is falling and I imagine that the next set of catalogues and price guides for coins will have lower prices, especially in the lower grades which are mostly bullion value.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

i sell alot of coins at in person sales. usually get about 70% of cv. the only coins youll get top dollar for are key dates or gems. ebay is hit and miss. on auction with low start price youll probably be unhappy. i also take a look at how many other of the same coins are out there. if its flooded, u wont get a good price. lessons ive learned. hope this helps.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply