"Why is your accent so funny, eh?"

lina-mallows
Community Member
Maybe my sense of humour is on vacation with the rest of our country.
This comment was posted at the US PS boards.

CALLING ALL CANADIANS! Power Dialogue today at 1:00 PM PST

shira@ebay.com View Listings | Report

Mar-17-05 11:28 PST

PowerSellers,

At the frequent requests of our friends to the North, please join the eBay Canada PowerSeller Team right here on the PowerSeller Discussion Board at 1:00 PM, PST, for a special Canadian Edition of Power Dialogue.

My wonderful Candian counterparts Carly, Werdna, and Darla will answer questions and share recipes, or whatever you'd like to talk to them about during this hour-long discussion.

What you are allowed to ask my Canadian counterparts: Anything having to do with eBay Canada or the Candadian PowerSeller Program.

What you are NOT allowed to ask my Canadian counterparts: Why is your accent so funny, eh?

Hope to see you here at 1:00 PM.

Best,

Shira Levine

So, I'm asking- please help me out here; is this comment funny and inoffensive, or an offensive stereotype that is just one piece of the BIG picture? (Please read as EBAY!!!)
It should be noted that this PS discussion was placed on the US PS boards, and not even announced on the Canadian site.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lina-mallows
Community Member
Just to note- (though I may have overlooked something)- Not one seller, in three pages of comments attached to this thread, mentioned this comment.
Am I just being to sensitive to what I perceive as a sleight against all Canadians?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
I reckon that Shira was just trying to be funny in what she probably saw as a harmless joke. As it was posted on the US board, I'm sure it was not intended for our eyes. A crude attempt at humour (or is that humor?) at others' expense without any foresight. How "American" of her.

Lincoln
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'd never call someone too sensetive. Your perspective is what it is for whatever reason. You're entitled to your opinion.

Of all the battles in the world, however, this isn't one that I'd personally choose to take on.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
They didnt expect any Canadians to show up anyway!

I heard a funny one on tv yesterday. Someone from NJ was talking about accents and said he is not offended when anyone mentions his accent EXCEPT someone from Alabama.

Having lived in the SOuth for several years (Georgia), an Alabama accent is like a different language that only they can understand.

Why be offended? We have an accent, and so do those that think we have an accent as to us, they have an accent.
... and someone from the Ottawa Valley has as strong an accent as someone from rural Quebec speaking English without having the advantage of an education in the language. ... and Newfoundlanders etc etc etc AND PERSONALLY I LOVE THE ACCENTS!!!!

I am not ashamed, embarrassed or bothered by the mention of it. I think that it is quaint to notice that we speak with different accents to what you would find anywhere in the US and FUNNY that one would expect to HEAR the accents through typed posts.

Malcolm
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
That comment didn't bother me one bit.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I don't think that their intent was ill intentioned. Besides, how much can you expect from a country that has to import their best comedians from Canada?
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
So- anyone run into anything similar of late?
Being in the STATES so often- speaking Canadian English at times is really noticeable.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply