Anyone successful in getting an invoice from Pitney Bowes for import taxes?

Probably beating a dead horse here based on other responses I've seen.  But does anyone know how to get an invoice with a breakdown of  "import charges" from Pitney Bowes on items shipped to Canada using the GSP? As a business I am entitled to a refund of taxes I paid on items that are used in my business, but without knowing what portion of the "import charges" are taxes, if any, I can't get the refund I'm entitled to.  I import things all the time with other shippers and I always get an invoice with a breakdown of what was actual taxes paid to the government, what was brokerage fees, etc. and from this I can claim the input tax credit to get at least the tax portion of that money refunded to me from the government.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

PB specifies that the service is to be used for non business purposes only and they will not give you an invoice with each specific charge.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

You don't actually pay taxes and duty on a GSP shipment.  Pitney Bowes does that on your behalf and is on record as having paid those when your item is imported.

The "import charges" on a GSP-forwarded item are an estimate of the taxes and duty that would be applied to the item plus any processing fees associated with it.

You may have seen a post or two suggesting that the "import charges" can be written off as a business expense.  I'd check with your accountant to make sure that's acceptable to CRA.  I can't see why they wouldn't be, but it's good to check with a professional.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply