Issue about USPS Priority Mail International shipment to Canada

ericwang0658
Community Member

Hello everyone, I've bought a set of golf clubs last week and they are being shipped to Toronto, Canada from California. The sender shipped out the package via USPS Priority Mail International on Monday, June 3rd.

But since June 5th, there were no updates from USPS or Canada Post on the status of the package. The last update was "Your item has arrived at a sort facility at 2:24 pm on June 5, 2013 in ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)." 

According to Canada Post, the "International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada“. However, a friend of mine told me it usually take less than 72 hours for packages to arrive and clear the Canadian Custom when they are sent out from Western United States. 

I have also called customer service for both Canada Post and USPS. The USPS agent told me to be patient since the delivery standard is 6-10 business days. While the Canada Post agent said it is odd for this package to not arrive since it has already been 5 days since the day of shipping.

Any ideas on the whereabouts of the package based on past experiences? Does it usually take that long for packages to arrive when they are shipped out from California to Toronto?

Thanks a lot for your help! 

Eric 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Once a USPS Priority enters Canada, it is down graded to Expedited Parcel in Canada. And lately ( the last six months or so ), in my experience any way, Canada post will slap a sticker with a new CP tracking number on it. This is very irritating, because there is really no way for you to find out what that new number is in order to track it. Also, because this is a big ( and possibly expensive ) parcel, Canada Customs is going to have a field day with it. They will open it, assess whether the value on the customs slip jibes with what they see, seal it up, assess charges ( tax, duty, etc. ), and then send it on to you. Be patient, it will get to you after a bit.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

ericwang0658
Community Member

Hi ggsale27, thanks a lot for your detailed reply 🙂 I guess there's really nothing much to do about it, just hoping to get the clubs before my golf tournament on June 16th  

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Once a USPS Priority enters Canada, it is down graded to Expedited Parcel in Canada. And lately ( the last six months or so ), in my experience any way, Canada post will slap a sticker with a new CP tracking number on it. This is very irritating, because there is really no way for you to find out what that new number is in order to track it. Also, because this is a big ( and possibly expensive ) parcel, Canada Customs is going to have a field day with it. They will open it, assess whether the value on the customs slip jibes with what they see, seal it up, assess charges ( tax, duty, etc. ), and then send it on to you. Be patient, it will get to you after a bit.

When it comes to international mail, there's nothing over which USPS's Priority service takes priority.  First Class International is just letter mail and small packets, which are handled in a separate mailstream than Priority or parcel post.  The exceptions to this would be the Priority flat-rate envelopes and small flat-rate boxes, which are handled in the same mailstream as First Class International!  Go figure.

In other words, I don't think Priority shipments see any kind of "downgrade" when they reach Canada.  My experience in BC, actually, has been that they get stickered with an "Xpresspost" barcode and the tracking number is the same as the one used by USPS.  Again, go figure.

As far as Eric's question goes, I usually allow two weeks for my shipments to reach me from the States (they usually take less time than that), and not start getting worried until a month has elapsed from the shipment date.  (That's been very rare.)

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

My experience in BC, actually, has been that they get stickered with an "Xpresspost" barcode and the tracking number is the same as the one used by USPS.

The same experience for me...... a Priority package from the U.S. usually becomes an Xpresspost package here.  I haven't noticed a different/new tracking number but then I rarely check the tracking information.

I agree that there's no need to be worried right now. There are often times when Priority isn't all that fast.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

ericwang0658
Community Member

Today it has finally arrived in Canada. An update was made at 8AM Eastern Time. Canada Post now shows "Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.", and USPS simply shows "Custom Clearance". 

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated. 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Today it has finally arrived in Canada. An update was made at 8AM Eastern Time. Canada Post now shows "Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.", and USPS simply shows "Custom Clearance". 

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated. 

They still have to go through Canada Customs and they will decide how much you will have to pay to receive them.

If they don't revalue them it should be about $70.00 for taxes and customs handling fee.

Anything with a value over $20.00 Canadian is subject to Canadian taxes for the province you live in.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

ericwang0658
Community Member

Thanks for the information. As of now, the package has cleared the custom and is being processed by Canada Post. The time spent at the custom wasn't as bad as anticipated, just under 6 hours. 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I am extremely disasstisfied with Ebay and their so called shipping costs.  I bought two items totalling just under 100 dollars and was charge almost 40 dollars to ship it.  The seller said they could combine it and that there was no shipping.  It was for a purse and wallet which weigh very little.  I noticed that there were two different tracking numbers for each and that shipping wasn't combined.  When I asked the seller about the item's shipping's cost, she said they were Ebays costs and out of her control.  I have been buying things from ebay for 7 years and selling things from time to time.  I have never had such extreme shipping costs.  I went ahead with the payment because I was under the impression that the shipping would be reduced and credited back after they combined my orders.  This did not occur.  I went to complain to Ebay and you can't contact them via phone or email, none of the links work, always say under construction, and there is no number listed to call.  The awesome part about this entire situation is that we have to pay this enormous shipping fee for it to sit in a warehouse somewhere in Kentucky when it originated from Washington State and could've gone due North for probably much cheaper.  It has been sitting according to the tracking info for 4 days in Kentucky.  WTH???  Is there no good customer service left in this world?  Ebay have you really stooped to jacking shipping costs to make a profit?  Boo on you for that.  Boo on the sellers who support this craziness.  After I get these items due to this experience, I will be deleting my ebay account forever.  I can't believe we have no other shipping options. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@grainger413 wrote:

I am extremely disasstisfied with Ebay and their so called shipping costs.  I bought two items totalling just under 100 dollars and was charge almost 40 dollars to ship it.  The seller said they could combine it and that there was no shipping.  It was for a purse and wallet which weigh very little.  I noticed that there were two different tracking numbers for each and that shipping wasn't combined.  When I asked the seller about the item's shipping's cost, she said they were Ebays costs and out of her control.  I have been buying things from ebay for 7 years and selling things from time to time.  I have never had such extreme shipping costs.  I went ahead with the payment because I was under the impression that the shipping would be reduced and credited back after they combined my orders.  This did not occur.  I went to complain to Ebay and you can't contact them via phone or email, none of the links work, always say under construction, and there is no number listed to call.  The awesome part about this entire situation is that we have to pay this enormous shipping fee for it to sit in a warehouse somewhere in Kentucky when it originated from Washington State and could've gone due North for probably much cheaper.  It has been sitting according to the tracking info for 4 days in Kentucky.  WTH???  Is there no good customer service left in this world?  Ebay have you really stooped to jacking shipping costs to make a profit?  Boo on you for that.  Boo on the sellers who support this craziness.  After I get these items due to this experience, I will be deleting my ebay account forever.  I can't believe we have no other shipping options. 

The seller that you purchased from is using ebay's global shipping program so you were charged for shipping and import taxes which includes gst/hst. If asked before you buy, some sellers will send you the item without going through that program. But if they do go through gsp the seller does not have any control of the shipping or import charges as ebay uses another company to do the shipping from Kentucky and to set the prices. Some buyers will only purchase from sellers who are not signed up for the global shipping program as they find it too expensive..especially for items under $100.

The import charges for those 2 items do seem really high. To contact ebay by phone try this....

click on customer support on the top right corner

Click on the Contact ebay tab

Hover over the buying tab and then click on rules and policies...the last choice

Then click on call us on the right and you should get a phone number (during business hours)

It's the best way to let ebay know how you feel

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

"was charge almost 40 dollars to ship it. "

Do you mean you were charged almost $40 total including shipping and taxes, handling fee and Custom brokerage fee?

or

do you mean $40 shipping in addition to taxes and brokerage fee?

In the second instance, it seems high. 

If shipping, handling fee, taxes and brokerage fee add up to "almost $40", then it makes sense.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with pjcdn, I am in Manitoba, my packages/parcels that have bar codes with LZ get XpressPost stickers.  I noticed on one of my packages with $6.91 postage and get  XpressPost stickers. 

I wish we can pay that much for XpressPost to send my items to USA at any time.  Usually it costs around $28.50 to $32.50 to ship my items to USA by XpressPost. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

grainger413 wrote:

I am extremely disasstisfied with Ebay and their so called shipping costs. I bought two items totalling just under 100 dollars and was charge almost 40 dollars to ship it. The seller said they could combine it and that there was no shipping. It was for a purse and wallet which weigh very little. I noticed that there were two different tracking numbers for each and that shipping wasn't combined. When I asked the seller about the item's shipping's cost, she said they were Ebays costs and out of her control. I have been buying things from ebay for 7 years and selling things from time to time. I have never had such extreme shipping costs. I went ahead with the payment because I was under the impression that the shipping would be reduced and credited back after they combined my orders. This did not occur. I went to complain to Ebay and you can't contact them via phone or email, none of the links work, always say under construction, and there is no number listed to call. The awesome part about this entire situation is that we have to pay this enormous shipping fee for it to sit in a warehouse somewhere in Kentucky when it originated from Washington State and could've gone due North for probably much cheaper. It has been sitting according to the tracking info for 4 days in Kentucky. WTH??? Is there no good customer service left in this world? Ebay have you really stooped to jacking shipping costs to make a profit? Boo on you for that. Boo on the sellers who support this craziness. After I get these items due to this experience, I will be deleting my ebay account forever. I can't believe we have no other shipping options.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mushla17 wrote in response:

I think all Sellers and Buyers should remember that you can opt out of the GSP. When Sellers are selling items under 4lbs and even a tad heavier than that, the SC is $30+!! In the Buyers Paypal account they will notice a transfer of funds to Pitney Bowes. I never authorized such a thing. I was never warned by eBay that this was happening everytime I buy from the US and I would have never agreed to buy anything in this manner. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people will tell me different though.

The majority of what I buy from the US is under 13ozs. For that, with using GSP to ship to me, i will be charged $30+ in shipping costs for an item I won for $10ish. It's ridiculous and suicidal to Sellers and Buyers. Buyers won't buy with this type of shipping and the SELLERS lose a whole lot of money as there Buyers go elsewhere or just stop buying period. Sellers, you can opt out at any time from this program. OR as another Seller told me, US Sellers can incorperate the fair shipping cost (that you will find in the link below) and also add the cost that you will be charged should the listing fee go up (it's only fair the Buyer should pay that too!) and then change your listing to FREE shipping! You and the Buyer anre happy and no one, including eBay, loses out. The only ones that do are the Pitney Bowes people and whoever else slapped on that 11% increase! Here's the link(they won't let me leave it) so go to the usps.c o m . They will have a US popstal service chart of S&C costs which are the ones used befor this GSP.  I also urge you to read the inelidgeable items listed in the GSP as well as what they refuse to cover for Sellers. Also know that the tracking number provided to both parties are meaningless as verified via the site I will list and the USPS site. PLEASE Sellers....use this method again and opt away from the gsp. You'll find your customer base increasing and a lot more Buyers that are thrilled with your service and no doubt will let all know that! Thanks for reading! :smileyhappy::smileyhappy: 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

mushla17 wrote: 

I think all Sellers and Buyers should remember that you can opt out of the GSP. When Sellers are selling items under 4lbs and even a tad heavier than that, the SC is $30+!! In the Buyers Paypal account they will notice a transfer of funds to Pitney Bowes. I never authorized such a thing. I was never warned by eBay that this was happening everytime I buy from the US and I would have never agreed to buy anything in this manner. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people will tell me different though.

Technically speaking, seller's can't "opt out" of the GSP.  Once they've enrolled in it, they have to keep toggling it off every time they create listings.  That's not the same as a full opt out where a seller never again has to worry about whether or not it's offered as an option on their listings.

As for Pitney Bowes' charges to you, yeah, sorry, but I gotta point out that it's in those terms and conditions to which you clicked on and agreed upon at Checkout.  The total you paid is no different than the one you paid at Checkout; it's just been split up, that's all.

From the T&C page:

Payment Split.PayPal will split your payment of the Program Fees between your Seller and Pitney Bowes in the following manner, as reflected within your Order Details page and in your PayPal account overview:

• Payment to your Seller: PayPal will transmit to your Seller’s PayPal account that portion of your payment consisting of the GSP Item price and the amount (if any) charged by your Seller to ship the GSP Item to the U.S. Shipping Center
  • Payment to Pitney Bowes: PayPal will transmit the balance of your payment to Pitney Bowes’s PayPal account (identifiable with the description “Pitney Bowes Inc.”).

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

i have bought several items on ebay that were unfortunatley shipped through usps and every one of them were either not delivered or delivered extremely late i think its best to check with sellr and finf out who they shipp with and if its usps dont buy from them, as they say buyer bewarre!!!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the info...the last I saw of my parcel it had cleared customs...There also is no info now about it...CP says ...was relieved to hear that they are doing this...although annoying....I am more hopeful...next time I buy from eBay...I am going to make sure it is going through FedEx or Puralator...thanks again for the info....

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I'm experiencing a similar situation here in Toronto. I purchased a small item (DVD) on June 16th and it was shipped from New York supposedly by Global Express Post. The last tracking info given was on early morning June 18th that the item left Syracuse 5:18 am. As of today, the 20th there has been NO tracking update. This is annoying especially when you consider the price I had to pay for the delivery service. Not a good experience here!!

Wayne (a long time eBay customer)
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I'd never heard of a USPS service called Global Express Post so I looked it up.

https://www.usps.com/ship/gxg.htm

They say 1-3 days for "many" major centres, but if you live somewhere other than Toronto or Montreal and possibly Ottawa, it will take longer. (Based on the Syracuse stop).

You purchased on Monday. Today is Friday.

If the item was valued over $20 it will spend some time in Customs.

But it should arrive today or on Monday.

If you are not home when it arrives, you may have to pick it up at your Postal Outlet on Saturday or Monday. There will be an 'attempted delivery' slip in your mailbox.

If it was over $20 you will pay duty and sales tax plus a $10 service fee to Canada Post.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

My usps takes long time without any update, what's wrong ? This is the last update:

DATE & TIMESTATUS OF ITEMLOCATION

February 2, 2015 , 11:21 am

Customs clearance processing complete

EGYPT

Your item cleared customs in EGYPT at 11:21 am on February 2, 2015.

February 1, 2015 , 1:38 pm

Missed delivery - Will attempt delivery on next working day

EGYPT

January 28, 2015 , 4:02 pm

Missed delivery - Will attempt delivery on next working day

EGYPT

January 26, 2015 , 9:07 pm

Customs clearance processing complete

EGYPT

January 26, 2015 , 6:01 pm

Customs Clearance

EGYPT

January 26, 2015 , 6:00 pm

Processed Through Sort Facility

EGYPT

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

You are in Egypt, your purchase was sent by United States Postal Service, and this is an eBay Canada Discussion Board.

What is wrong? It looks as if delivery was attempted twice, on January 28 and February 1.  The item was then returned to Customs in Egypt.  It is perhaps on its way back to the seller.  You should try contacting your seller and forwarding this same information.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply