Package sent through Ebay Global Shipping/Intelcom was ripped opened

Yesterday I recieved a used item, which also contained a FACTORY sealed item in a smaller box.

Both had been cut open, and the factory packaging of the smaller item was ripped apart. Why is anyone opening a factory sealed item?! it was wrapped in bubble wrap, and they probably used a box cutter which also ripped open the sealed item. Ebay is useless because there is no way to contact them (it always tells you to contact seller). CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) gives me the run arround; they said fill out a complaint form, but the complaint form only has three options for your issue, non of which apply to this. And, the form refuses to accept the tracking number - it only accept half of the tracking number.

I'be also contacted Intelcom to tell them so they can found out anything - i doubt they'll tell me the truth though.

Attached are pictures showing how it was cut open and then re-taped; including a picture of the item that was suppose to FACTORY SEALED. (One picture also shows them having ripped apart the bubble wrap of the larger item. WHY?!?!? This is through Ebay!! I'm not ordering drugs!! These are obsolete items!!! 

P.S. apparently i can't upload more than one picture

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Not As Described claim - and explaining that the item was shipped via GSP- should get you a prompt refund and a request to trash the damaged item, since GSP has no way to handle returned items.

Ebay is useless because there is no way to contact them

https://www.ebay.ca/mye/myebay/purchase-> More Actions->Return this Item.

Then explain about the eGSP.

The "talk to the seller" is basically a courtesy. She will want to know your problem, even though by using the GSP, she has no responsibility for it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Customs can open whatever items they wish & they often do, are the items you purchased damaged? If not why all the drama?!

I have received many packages over the years opened and inspected for whatever reason I never went around ranting about it, my purchases were not damaged and the Seller has no say in how the shipping/forwarders or customs will handle the package. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Items forwarded through the Global Shipping Program don't have customs forms on them, as you've probably noticed.  My understanding is that customs receives a manifest--or list--of the items that are being trucked in across the border.  They probably eyeball the packages, maybe x-ray some, and see if everything checks out.  If there was something on that manifest that looked awry or something looked "off" about the packages--perhaps an Amazon box sealed with eBay is considered a "red flag"--then the shipment may go through further scrutiny.

How Intelcom handles the "last mile" part of GSP shipments is anybody's guess.

You're probably not going to get much in the way of answers as you're not considered the importer of an item forwarded by the Global Shipping Program; Pitney Bowes is.  I suggest focussing your energies on getting a refund through eBay's Money Back Guarantee program if you haven't already done so.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Items forwarded through the Global Shipping Program don't have customs forms on them, as you've probably noticed.  My understanding is that customs receives a manifest--or list--of the items that are being trucked in across the border.  They probably eyeball the packages, maybe x-ray some, and see if everything checks out.  If there was something on that manifest that looked awry or something looked "off" about the packages--perhaps an Amazon box sealed with eBay is considered a "red flag"--then the shipment may go through further scrutiny.

How Intelcom handles the "last mile" part of GSP shipments is anybody's guess.

You're probably not going to get much in the way of answers as you're not considered the importer of an item forwarded by the Global Shipping Program; Pitney Bowes is.  I suggest focussing your energies on getting a refund through eBay's Money Back Guarantee program if you haven't already done so.

@nitroc_72 

If a package is inspected by customs employees it "should be" re-taped using customs tape. In the above situation it appears more like the package was tampered with after the fact somewhere along its merry way. In the past when you received parcels (pre-covid) when they signed for receiver had the opportunity to note any visible issues. Because now majority of parcels are drop and dash (without a signature) the receiver has a window (that window varies carrier to carrier) to file a claim. Below some specifics  from USPS & CP. 

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/sending/claims/damaged-packages.page?

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub122/pub122_v07_revision_092016_006.htm

Claims procedure disclaimer Intelcom: Re: "Anybodies guess"

We’re sorry about that. If the contents of your package are damaged and unusable when you receive them, you must make a claim with the merchant from whom you made your purchase.

For security and privacy reasons, Intelcom doesn’t know the contents or the value of the delivered packages.

Lastly any claims in most cases need to be coordinated between shipper and receiver...which can be a challenge....in both directions for a variety of reasons. In many cases they need to be filed by the shipper with cooperation from the receiver.  On the flip side, it is very easy to refund the buyer.....Except there is nothing in place to compensate the seller when something hinky takes place from the opposite point of view or where the seller maybe has a valid proof. Sadly, what is currently in place is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

-Lotz

4. Item was stolen from the parcel

Courier companies do their best to guarantee that deliveries are done in the safest way possible. Having said that, the unlikely event of a parcel arriving with missing goods may still happen.

If you find yourself in such a rare and unfortunate situation where an item was stolen from your parcel, it is important to file a damage report as soon as you receive the package and take pictures to serve as evidence. You should also immediately contact the courier company to start a claim procedure.

Eurosender strives to offer high-quality service to our customers and that is why we will not leave our clients in cases where your parcel arrived open. If you have any doubts or issues with your shipment, please contact our logistics experts and they will assist you in the best way possible.

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d5/d5-1-5-eng.html

3. When a mail item with a damaged wrapper is found at an International Mail Facility, the border services officer will present the damaged mail item to the CPC for the rewrapping,

4. When a border services officer opens a mail item for examination, proper handling and care must be taken to ensure there is no damage the contents. When a border services officer inadvertently damages the contents, he must make a full report on the circumstances and extent of the damage to the CBSA superintendent. The border services officer may close the mail item with tape to avoid losing the contents but it is the CPC's responsibility to rewrap it before it is delivered to the importer. The CBSA will advise the importer, by letter that damage to the mail item occurred upon examination. The CBSA must advise the importer that a claim for the damages may be filed with the Agency. Damage claims are to be processed in accordance with the claim regulations outlined in the Directive on Payments, pursuant to the Financial Administration Act.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Go to your purchase history and open a return request with the reason that item was received damaged or was not as described.  In the notes mention that it was sent through the gsp.  When an item sent through the gsp is damaged in shipping or processing, they generally refund the buyer and do not ask for the item to be sent back.  You might want to let you seller know what happened and that they should contact ebay once you've opened the claim to stress that it is a gsp problem.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

The Not As Described claim - and explaining that the item was shipped via GSP- should get you a prompt refund and a request to trash the damaged item, since GSP has no way to handle returned items.

Ebay is useless because there is no way to contact them

https://www.ebay.ca/mye/myebay/purchase-> More Actions->Return this Item.

Then explain about the eGSP.

The "talk to the seller" is basically a courtesy. She will want to know your problem, even though by using the GSP, she has no responsibility for it.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

How exactly am i going to get a refund when they ripped it open?! I clearly stated that i CAN'T. HAVE IT. GRADED!! So what exactly are they going to refund when i can't do that now?!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

None of that helps. If they pretend not to know who reipped it open, what exactly am i suppose to do with a useless item now?! Refund isn't possible BECAUSE THEY RIPPED OPEN A FACTORY SEALED ITEM. Which is CANNOT BE GRADED now, so it is essentially worthless. Ergo, no specific amount for a refund. And the tape that was used wasn't from customs - it had no specific writing on it. It was simply put over the Ebay tape - AND ON THE INSIDE.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

yeah, as i found out yesterday. No number, no option to file a complaint.  But if i ask for a refund, will that take away money from the seller who wasn't responsible?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

The condition in which you received your item was not as it was described in the listing page. You file a case or claim with the Global Shipping Program via eBay’s Money Back Guarantee program for an “item not as described” item and indicate that your widget was handled by the Global Shipping Program to ensure that the seller isn’t held responsible.

The issue of the item's "grade" doesn't appear relevant to me based on what little information you've provided on it.  Of more relevance is the fact that your item suffered "catastrophic damage" somewhere between the forwarding centre in Kentucky and its final destination. Feel free to use that term when making your claim or case.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@nitroc_72 wrote:

How exactly am i going to get a refund when they ripped it open?! I clearly stated that i CAN'T. HAVE IT. GRADED!! So what exactly are they going to refund when i can't do that now?!

It's quite simple. The item was supposed to be sealed and it is not. That makes it a not as described purchase so you should be able to get your full purchase refunded.  You still won't have the exact item that you expected to get but you will have your money back.  Since it was a gsp purchase, you will likely end up with the item and your money back. 
https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Sigh.

Boys and their toys.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Are the actual items you received "damaged" a simple Y or N will suffice.

And, YES Customs can open ANY package they wish including factory-sealed ones.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

so then It'll be filed as a regular Return, and i'll write that information in the details with pictures?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@nitroc_72 wrote:

so then It'll be filed as a regular Return, and i'll write that information in the details with pictures?

I’m not sure what you mean by “filed as a regular return,” buuuuut my understanding from the multitude of posts about damaged items that were handled by the Global Shipping Program is that items determined to be damaged during transit from Kentucky do not need to be returned.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

What is it you don't understand????

So you're saying i SHOULDN'T start a return request? --->

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Or am i suppose to go to another page? What PRECISELY do i do so that the seller isn't penalized????!

Do i file a return, and figure it out blindly with the seller? or is there some way to directly contact Ebay, without getting the seller involved since it WASN'T his fault...???

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

As mentioned earlier, start a regular return and in the comments say that the item was damaged in shipping and that it was sent through the gsp.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Try not calling it a Return.

It's a Claim or a Dispute.  The item may or may not be returned. That part is irrelevant.

You will be refunded.

What happens to the toys afterwards is up to you. Just be sure to say that shipping was through the GSP.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply