why is it that I am outbid in the last 3 seconds. Is this sniping? I hate it and may give up on eb

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

why is it that I am outbid in the last 3 seconds. Is this sniping? I hate it and may give up on eb

It's pretty simple - you don't bid enough money. Your last bid at the end should be the absolute most you want to spend on that item. If you get it cheaper - all the better.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what bidding is all about.  If you really want it so badly, bid at higher price so you can win for sure, otherwise you are out each time if you bid at the most lowest price each time.  Good luck in bidding.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It may be sniping, but if the sniper paid more than you were willing to pay, then he paid too much and is a sucker.

Sniping is last minute bidding. Which is what you are doing when you hang over your keyboard, bidding and rebidding.

The winners may be using the same method. or an electronic sniping service which does it for them.

Or the winner may have bid early, bid their maximum, and left, knowing that the proxy bidding system will continue raising their bids until that maximum is bid.

For example.

An item has an opening bid of $10

I want it and on Day Five of the seven day auction I bid $100.

The winning bid shows as $10

You see in on Day Six and bid $11.

The winning bid now shows as $12, still to me.

You continue bidding one or two dollars more, until you are bidding $50.

The winning bid is now $51, to me.

Then another bidder sees it and using a service like esnipe, bids $87.21 to be put on Day 7, Hour 23 Minute 58.

There is no change, because eBay can't see that bid.

You come bace on Day 7 Hour 23 and bid $85

The winning bid is now $86 to me. Still.

Meanwhile I am on a hunting trip, with an elk in my gunsights.

At Day 7, Hour 23 Minute 58 esnipe makes that last second bid for $87.21.

You quickly bid $88 but the winner is me at $89.21.

I am delighted that I got the item under my $100 maximum, but I don't know about it until I get back from hunting.

What you see there is a "proxy bidder" (me), a "nibble bidder" (you) and a "snipe bidder". Any one of us could have won, but the winning bid would have to be more than my $100 maximum.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If I put in my maximum bid amount too early, it gives others a chance to change their mind and increase their maximum bid.

Even though they are not willing to pay as much as my maximum proxy bid, they have driven up the price.

However, if I wait until the last seconds of the auction, there is no opportunity for others to change their mind about increasing their max bid.

If my maximum proxy bid is high enough, I will be sure to win, but if I wait util the last seconds to place my bid, I will pay the least amount possible.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

peclem38
Community Member
There is absolutely no logic in bidding early. All you do is drive up the price. Now THAT is annoying.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Auctions are a process that does not require logic, but it does require a buyer to know how much they are willing to pay and to have a good strategy.  Auctions can be either rewarding or disappointing to both sellers and buyers....and it's simply the choice of the bidders as to the result of the final price . Auctions are what they are= you either like them or not; you either use them or not...

From what I am seeing here, this all sounds more like whining cry babies and poor losers, if driving up the price is "annoying", and is a reason "to give up on eBay."

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

If you bid early you will,
Never win an auction.
Drive up the price unnecessarily.
This is why long auctions are ridiculously unnecessary.
Most of the effective bidding is done in the last 3 seconds. Early bidders are a real irritant.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@kh-leslie 

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@peclem38 wrote:

If you bid early you will,
Never win an auction.
Drive up the price unnecessarily.

How does an early bid drive up the price of an auction? If an auction starts at $20 and I bid $100 as the first bid, the bidding isn’t driven up to $100 right away.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 11 of 11
latest reply