July 8 2020 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

The chat this week is targeted specifically at managed payments and is open for your questions. It will remain open until tomorrow afternoon, at which point it will be closed for our expert to review.

Please leave your payments related questions below and a payments expert will work on getting you answers* starting tomorrow through the rest of the week. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

*Disclaimer here that there may be some questions that they aren't able to address, so not all questions may get an answer. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: July 8 2020 Weekly Session - Managed Payments

I actually haven’t been requested to join yet, probably because I sell mainly to the US, but have been reading the boards and have 2 questions:

1.  My bank accounts have my middle initial on them and my eBay account does not. I read that they must match. Do I have to change one and if so can I just add my initial to my eBay account?

2.  I understand that I will need to show a bank document. I have no cheques on this bank account as I don’t need them. What other document can I submit?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

Hi Tyler

Erroneous information is being given on the .com community board by an eBay person specifically about Managed Payments and the ability and qualifications of a Canadian selling on .com.
Here is the link.https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/ebay-Managed-Payment-for-Canadian-selling-in-US-site/m-p/3103...
Many Canadians may be panicking right now after reading that information, including those on my facebook Canadian board.
Mandy

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

Yikes! Charles's statements better not be accurate.
Message 4 of 62
latest reply

Hi Tyler

1) Please explain why there must be an International Fee for transactions on Managed Payments if it is an integral seamless program for all eBay sellers and buyers? Etsy has Ayden and doesn't charge such a fee for sales outside of the seller's country of registration. If your item is listed in CAD and you get CAD $ why would there be any sort of transaction fee for a buyer that happens to be in another country? If your item is listed in USD and you get USD$, same question. Yes it is marginally lower than paypal current transaction fees, but why will there such a fee to be charged by eBay? Shouldn't the HIGHER FVF's that ebay will charge on ALL transactions, cover any extra costs?
From the Managed Payments Fee Help Page for Store Owners for Canada: "If your registered address is in Canada, we charge an international fee of 0.4% to the US and 1% to all other countries if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of Canada. This fee is automatically deducted and is calculated based on the total amount of the sale."
2) For those Canadian sellers who sell in USD but do not have any issue with eBay converting to CAD for deposit to the sellers' Cdn bank, why is the exchange fee set at 3%? Paypal's fee is 2.5%. VISA credit cards are 2.5%. The fee of 3% seems exorbitant in comparison.

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

1) Can we have a US dollar bank account registered in Canada, and have payments deposited there?

2) Can we have 2 bank accounts for deposits - one for USD sales and one for Cdn dollar sales?

3) Can we see a sample of what the reports will look like, so I can get feedback from my bookeeper that she will actually be able to get the information she needs?

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

I received my 4th reminder to sign up for MP by July 15. The email indicates I only have one week to register.

...or what? What happens if I don't? Do my 4400 listings just vanish? Do I stop getting money for the things that sell? Do I get kicked off of eBay? 

This program is clearly not ready for implementation, which is why many of us are reluctant to sign up. We can't even see how it works...is there a demo or something, maybe from the buyer's perspective, so we can see how it's different at both ends of the transaction?

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

I think I know the answer for this but just to confirm.

How badly are sellers going to be penalized if they choose not to sign up for Managed Payments. Many sellers will be in the middle of store subscriptions and penalties as they are so written could be extreme. This is taking into consideration that for many sellers they have more questions than answers for this program.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

If I were to register for eBay managed payments can I use my us based usd account and receive the us funds without converting them to Canadian?
The only difference I can see for my situation then anyone in the us, is I'm a Canadian using the us site. My banking would be the same as someone selling in Delaware. Just my address is Canada and I don't have a social security #.
Please advise.
Message 9 of 62
latest reply

My question would be directed to the actual payment, to the seller. I assume similar to paypal we will receive a notice that payment has been received it is ok to ship?? Will the ship to address be tied to the payment source provided, or the address provided to ebay when the buyer registers on ebay.. Because as i have seen many, many times people who have moved never update their address on ebay, only on paypal,, Because that is the only address that ever needed to be correct..

If ebay says we need to mail to the address listed on ebay, there will be a lot of people not getting their items until, they update their address..

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

I'm also curious as to what will happen to our accounts if we do not register by July.15/20?

What consequences will a 15 year old veteran seller receive, who has never received a negative feedback, had maybe one or two returns in 15 years of selling, always paid his selling fee's on time, has never received a defect and has maintained a 5 out of 5 DSR's 

I know what you are going to say, you received three email notifications since Apr/20 to "register now''. But it is only on the fourth email sent July.7 where it actually said we had a deadline to register by July.15th. 

Why wasn't this due date in the earlier emails? It probably would of helped a lot of sellers transition into MP or prepare to leave.

Why is this week's, Weekly Chat dedicated to answering Managed Payments questions when those sellers have until July.15/20 to sign-up of else? Why is this happening one week before the registration due date? Shouldn't there have been a dedicated thread(s) a month or two ago so Canadian sellers could be better prepared for the transition to Managed Payments? 

If I decide to leave would eBay give on those exclusive eBay hoodies for 15 flawless years of service? How will eBay compensate sellers for their many years of dedicated service? 

Or is it going to be a too bad so sad type send off? 

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Hi Tyler

1) Please explain why there must be an International Fee for transactions on Managed Payments if it is an integral seamless program for all eBay sellers and buyers? Etsy has Ayden and doesn't charge such a fee for sales outside of the seller's country of registration. If your item is listed in CAD and you get CAD $ why would there be any sort of transaction fee for a buyer that happens to be in another country? If your item is listed in USD and you get USD$, same question. Yes it is marginally lower than paypal current transaction fees, but why will there such a fee to be charged by eBay? Shouldn't the HIGHER FVF's that ebay will charge on ALL transactions, cover any extra costs?
From the Managed Payments Fee Help Page for Store Owners for Canada: "If your registered address is in Canada, we charge an international fee of 0.4% to the US and 1% to all other countries if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of Canada. This fee is automatically deducted and is calculated based on the total amount of the sale."
2) For those Canadian sellers who sell in USD but do not have any issue with eBay converting to CAD for deposit to the sellers' Cdn bank, why is the exchange fee set at 3%? Paypal's fee is 2.5%. VISA credit cards are 2.5%. The fee of 3% seems exorbitant in comparison.

@mandicrafts 

PP changed to 3% a while ago, I can't remember exactly when.

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

Nope, current search on paypal Canada shows 2.5%. I don't know where you are getting the 3% from?
Message 13 of 62
latest reply

...or what? What happens if I don't? Do my 4400 listings just vanish?

At the moment my plan is to close all my listings on July 13 and leave them in my Unsold Listings until I have read enough about the Managed Payment problems and fixes to make me comfortable with signing up.

With my Stores, that allows me /eBay 60 to 90 days to correct problems.

And again.

Can I sign up for Managed Payments using a US bank as well as a Canadian bank when all of my active eBay accounts are on dotCA?

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

I’m confused and terrified.
Having half of my listings on .com amd the other half on .ca I am wondering what is going to happen? Can I still list on USD on either site or only one? Or never again?
What will happen to my listings on .com on the 15th?
Message 15 of 62
latest reply

This is so bad.
Message 16 of 62
latest reply

I really hate the idea if being forced by ebay to give them access to my Chequing account. I use it to pay rent, bills etc. Will ebay have the right in the fine print to just help themselves to money from my account to pay fees? Too help themselves any time they want to? I safegaurd my banking info. That's why I use paypal for online transactions.

I haven't had any listings on ebay for a month now. It's ironic that this month will mark 14 years as a top rated seller, when I may just decide to shut it all down due to this B.S.. I don't appreciate ebays ominous sounding emails badgering me to sign up. Doing this during an ongoing Pandemic when folks have more than enough stress and worry about just surviving shows exactly how little ebay really cares about sellers.

Not impressed by the lack of clear, honest info. Typical ebay.
Message 17 of 62
latest reply

Open up a new account solely for managed payments. It's a better business strategy anyway.

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

What was the thinking in starting a new payment system that is clearly not ready when it excludes so many products/items to be able to be sold? Example bullion and adult items.

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

@storage_warriors wrote:

1) Can we have a US dollar bank account registered in Canada, and have payments deposited there?

2) Can we have 2 bank accounts for deposits - one for USD sales and one for Cdn dollar sales?

3) Can we see a sample of what the reports will look like, so I can get feedback from my bookeeper that she will actually be able to get the information she needs?

I have the same questions.  70% of my sales are US and I have a US bank account in a US bank also a US SIN #.   I would like to have my Canadian put in my Canadian account and my US money in my US Bank account.   I don't have a bookkeeper.

Message 20 of 62
latest reply