Canadian Sellers using Managed Payment

I live in Canada but sell on eBay.com. Recently I switched to to the MP program.  I followed the instructions and opened a US$ chequeing account at the local RBC branch so that I could receive payment in US$. I included the account details on the MP application.  My recent sales payments do not show in my paypal account so eBay is now managing my payments.  eBay sends emails stating that they have sent payments to my account, but the payments do not arrive into my account, even after waiting the required three or four days.  I enquired at the bank and was informed that a U.S. company cannot deposit funds into a Canadian bank account, it has to done through a wire transfer.  Is this correct?  Are there any Canadian sellers who have received payments into their accounts through the MP system?  If so how did you set it up?  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

marnotom!
Community Member

If these discussion boards are any indication, there are many Canadian sellers who are succesfully receiving US dollar payments into Canadian-based US dollar chequing accounts with Managed Payments.  

Interestingly enough, I just posted a response to a seller on another thread who is having issues just like yours with an RBC Royal Bank US dollar chequing account.  Coincidence, or is some sort of bigger issue with RBC at play here?

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Selling-on-ebay-com-in-USD-with-Managed-Payments-for-Can...

(Yes, it's a rather lengthy thread.  Skip down to page four or five and you'll get to more recent posts, including the RBC-related ones.)

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I couldn't find the "many Canadian sellers" to whom you refer.  Noone has replied with current advice as to how to make MP work for Canadian sellers.  Is it working for you? Is it working for any Canadian sellers who sell on .com?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Those sellers are often posting in longer threads and there are several including the one mentioned above.

The few sellers who are registered on dotCOM tend to be old hands who opened their accounts in the 20th century before eBay Canada existed.

Are you registered on dotCOM ?

Or are you (like me) registered on dotCA but sell on dotCOM and get paid in USD?

These are different situations.

I enquired at the bank and was informed that a U.S. company cannot deposit funds into a Canadian bank account, it has to done through a wire transfer. Is this correct?

No.

We have both US bank accounts and US dollar accounts in Canadian banks and moving money between them or even into a Canadian bank in loonies is smooth. A cheque will do it. Or a money order. Or even a transfer of funds just like you move money from one Cdn account to another Cdn account.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thank you very much for the reply and information.  I have been a member registered on .ca since Jan. 14 2002 but I sell on .com in US$.  The MP system refuses to recognize the RBC US$ checking account that I used to register with MP. I have been going in circles for days re-submitting my bank account details but now the system won't even let me sign in to eBay.ca  RBC is one of the banks that MP offers as a choice when registering but obviously MP isn't able to support that choice.  Have you been able to make the MP program work as a Canadian seller?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Is your RBC US dollar chequing (checking?) account with RBC Royal Bank of Canada or RBC Bank? There’s a difference between the two. The first bank is (obviously) on Canadian soil, the second one is based out of Georgia, USA. Only US dollar chequing accounts based in Canada will work with Managed Payments.

Sorry if that seems like a maddening question, but given the strange information you were given about funds transfers, I’m wondering if you were steered toward opening the wrong sort of bank account.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yes.

If you are registered on dotCA, as both of us are, we can attach a chequing account (only) with a Canadian bank (only).

But that account can be in USD or Cdn dollars.

But you can only have one account.

And it can only be in one currency.

TL/DR -- If you have a Canadian Bank account (with the Royal Bank of Canada) you can open a USdollar chequing account.

You can use that account for the USD you collect in payments.

You will be paying exchange when you either move the money to your  (RBC?)  Canadian dollar account or take money out in either * currency. 

RBCBank is not the Royal Bank of Canada. They do have an arrangement.

You cannot be registered on dotCA and attach an American bank.

* Bcause there is a difference in Buy and Sell rates.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

My US$ checking account is with a Canadian branch, not the US based RBC Bank.  The problem is that MP refuses to recognize the account.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.  You are the only Canadian seller that I have heard from that has successfully transitioned to MP.  So at least I now know that it can be done.  I have complied with all of the parameters that you list in your reply.  The problem is that MP refuses to recognize my account.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I have not successfully transitioned to Managed Payments.

So far I am three for three unsuccessful transitions and have one more selling account that has not yet been told to change over.

I have been working with the email chat people on this for three weeks. Once I get this account straight, I can work on the less active accounts.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Apologies for the misunderstanding. I thought the "Yes" in your previous reply was in answer to my question whether you had been successful in making the MP program work. Good Luck in your efforts. I would still like to hear from a successful Canadian seller.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It was a seamless start up for me but my payout is in $C although I list on both sites.  It seems that most of the sellers who are having problems  either requested $US payouts or were originally registered on .com and then told to sign up on .com instead of on .ca.   I'm sure that at least one seller recently commented that their $US payout went out without a hitch but I can't remember who it was. I don't recall  reading posts from 'a number of sellers' who had posted about successfully switching to MP with a $US payout. 

You probably know this already but double check that your name as  and birthdate are exactly the same on your bank account as on your ebay account.  If the problem is specific to $US accounts or to RBC US$ accounts I'm not sure what to suggest other than to contact someone in Managed Payments.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to reply. And congratulations on a successful MP transition. You are the first that I know of. From all that I have been reading, trying to get useful information from eBay representatives is pretty much a waste of time. I will stop listing and hope that eventually a program is designed that actually works. eBay owes me over $1000.00 so I hope it  doesn't take too long.  Good luck.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply