Canada Post and CUPE

From an email today to holders of Solutions for Small Business accounts:

Negotiations process begins for Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers

Canada Post has received notices to bargain from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW). This officially kicks off the negotiations process for new collective agreements with CUPW’s two bargaining units.

Canada Post’s two collective agreements with CUPW are set to expire on December 31, 2023 (Rural and Suburban Mail Carriers) and January 31, 2024 (Urban Postal Operations). If negotiations extend past these dates, the existing collective agreements will continue to apply.

We’re committed to the bargaining process and our goal is to work collaboratively with CUPW to reach negotiated settlements. We want to assure you that there is no risk of labour-related service disruptions throughout the entire upcoming peak season.

Given that the union prefers rotating strikes that disrupt but do not close the postal system while management just locks out everyone because they don't feel any pressing need to actually make money,  I have my doubts about that last sentence.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Canada Post and CUPE

If the first possible strike dates are Dec 31 and Jan 31 would that not be after the holiday peak? Add to that, a contract renewal does not automatically mean a strike and even if it did CUPW don't generally act immediately, usually "industrial action" does not start until negotiations fail which is often months after a contract expires.

FYI - The first meetings related to the new contract took place last week.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

i think everyone still has a pretty sour taste in their mouth about CUPW after the Christmas season strike of a few years ago.   Given that it cost Canada Post tens of millions in lost customers (large retailers who stopped using CP and switched to other services), both sides better really think through their actions going forward.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@fergua3 wrote:

i think everyone still has a pretty sour taste in their mouth about CUPW after the Christmas season strike of a few years ago.   Given that it cost Canada Post tens of millions in lost customers (large retailers who stopped using CP and switched to other services), both sides better really think through their actions going forward.

ChitChats, Intelcom, and others will open their bottles of champagne, again .... 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@38e_avenue wrote:

@fergua3 wrote:

ChitChats, Intelcom, and others will open their bottles of champagne, again .... 

@38e_avenue 

In the future, IF something were to happen with CP , outgoing parcels would be difficult. Incoming parcels would be a nightmare.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

The rotating strikes--especially those that hit to Gateway plant -- were a bad dream.

But the real nightmare was when management closed down the whole postal system and locked out all the workers.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The rotating strikes--especially those that hit to Gateway plant -- were a bad dream.

But the real nightmare was when management closed down the whole postal system and locked out all the workers.

To throw another wrench in all this there have been issues with USPS in Sweetgrass, MT. Story as follows from 5 days ago. They are catching up....slowly.

USPS at Sweet Grass Montana is currently backing up with packages. Please note that all packages had been dropped off per One Portal stated. However, USPS at Montana has been having issues with their broken down truck and short staffing. They just finished processing the thousands of packages that we dropped off on Monday. We will keep you posted but this is out of DYK Post's control. After our drop off to USPS, it is up to USPS to scan these packages. Thank you for your understanding.

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1700591197779.png

The fun never ends!!

-Lotz

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I remember the 2011 disaster. I took some pics at my post office .... 

Img_0009.jpg

Image1.jpg

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

marnotom!
Community Member

Sorry, it's me being nit-picky again.  Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Canada Post and CUPW"?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

Of course. Right as usual.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

well at least nobody has said yet "no big deal, there are lots of courier companies who will gladly take your business"

I've heard that nonsense every time there is a postal strike.  The reality is, couriers are orders of magnifude more expensive to ship with and for most sellers, not an alternatve.  Just as taking taxis during a transit strike is not a practical alternative.

But the bigger problem is the courier companies get ovewhelmed by the increase in volume and refuse to take new business, as they don't want to impair the quality of service they give to their existing customers.  Again my taxi vs public transit analogy is valid.....ever tired to hail a cab during a transit strike?  At least now there are sevices like Uber in the event of a transit strike.  There isn't really any equivelent to Uber for the postal system (services like Chit Chats are not widespread enough to be of help to most sellers).

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

In the future, IF something were to happen with CP , outgoing parcels would be difficult. Incoming parcels would be a nightmare.

-Lotz

I noticed all large parcels I get from US/UK through Ebay Shipping Program arrive by Intelcom, not CP anymore.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@38e_avenue wrote:

-Lotz

I noticed all large parcels I get from US/UK through Ebay Shipping Programs arrive by Intelcom, not CP anymore.

@38e_avenue 

That's scary to know!!! Especially with their lack of customer service when there is a problem. Also why it would be important to know prior to committing to purchase who the carriers involved are...door to door.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@38e_avenue wrote:

-Lotz

I noticed all large parcels I get from US/UK (it's from where I order most of my stuff to sell) arrive by Intelcom, not CP anymore.

Probably because shippers around the world are switching from Traditional Postal services to third-party private carriers.

My shipments to the UK are handled by APC and delivered in the UK by Evri.

When I buy from Temu, they are delivered here in Toronto by UniUni.

I'm only using Canada Post for deliveries to Canadian "rural" areas and for Lettermail within Canada.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@38e_avenue wrote:
I noticed all large parcels I get from US/UK through Ebay Shipping Programs arrive by Intelcom, not CP anymore.

@38e_avenue 

That's scary to know!!! Especially with their lack of customer service when there is a problem. Also why it would be important to know prior to committing to purchase who the carriers involved are...door to door.

-Lotz

Maybe they are not that bad. I had two similar incidents recently - "attempted delivery" while the recipients were defenitely at home, waiting for the parcel.  Their customer service was friendly, did apologize for the inconvenience, and the parcels were delivered the next day.  

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@38e_avenue wrote:

-Lotz

@38e_avenue 

-Lotz

Why is it scary? I've been using Intelcom for some domestic shipping (through Stallion), service was great (and way  cheaper than CP plus they deliver 7 days a week).

Stallion recently switched to other carriers (UniUni, ICS) have had no problems with either, delivery speeds are a lot better than Canada Post (ie: Toronto to Vancouver in 4 days vs 6 - 8 days for CP Expedited).

If you are located in rural/semi-rural areas the last mile deliveries are usually still via Canada Post.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

@recped wrote:

@38e_avenue wrote:

-Lotz

@38e_avenue 

-Lotz

Why is it scary? I've been using Intelcom for some domestic shipping (through Stallion), service was great (and way  cheaper than CP plus they deliver 7 days a week).

Stallion recently switched to other carriers (UniUni, ICS) have had no problems with either, delivery speeds are a lot better than Canada Post (ie: Toronto to Vancouver in 4 days vs 6 - 8 days for CP Expedited).

If you are located in rural/semi-rural areas the last mile deliveries are usually still via Canada Post.

@recped 

Intelcom "may" be fine in large cities. They do not have a great network for anything rural. The customer service is non existant if you try to contact. For many buyers they need to know when items will arrive because of porch pirates.  The delivery windows can be very long and changing. In testing an  amazon package that was on the way, the tracking showed from amazon but does not work from the intelcom site. If you live in an apartment they refuse to ring bell and will leave in lobby. They have NO grasp about not leaving parcels in plain sight. If you check on other couriers sites these were the rules that used to be followed. Seemed to go out the window with Covid.

A safe place is a location where the courier can leave your parcel if you aren't in. You can indicate this in the checkout process, or the driver might leave the package in a safe place if you aren't at home to receive delivery if the signature is not required

Sample Intelcom reviews attached. 

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.intelcomexpress.com

-Lotz

PS. From a personal standpoint buyers never know in advance who the end of mile delivery service will be when dealing with sellers who use generic services. If buyers had this information before checking out, in many cases it would change their decision to complete a purchase and thus avoid having a negative experience. Buyers just don't want any last minute surprises.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

Thanks for posting that info on USPS in Montana lotz, I had no idea there were issues there. I have a package going to Bozeman Montana that had been sitting in limbo since Nov 17, perhaps this is the reason (though that photo does not bring me much comfort!) at least I'll have something I can say if I'm asked about it's whereabouts.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post and CUPE

At least now there are sevices like Uber in the event of a transit strike.

And Uber changes its rates depending on demand. You will pay more in rush hour than you will at two in the afternoon. And  more at two in the morning because : drunks and because: fewer drivers willing to work redeyes.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply