Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

33nhl
Community Member

Well sadly its now a reality anyhting sent regular mail to USA as we once did will be returned back to you with the following lables attached to the bubble mailer as now that so called regular mail cheap method of sending sport cards or other small itesm will have to be sent as Small Packets and cost from under $4.00 will now be double to $8-$10

So what buyer is going to purchase a $2.00 hockey card and then see that they have to pay $9.00 for shipping.

Hopefully Ebay Canada reps are in sinc and try to help in some way other wise they will be seeing less low end items being offered or sold on Ebay Canada

I know the rule existeded and now Canada Post is enforcing it and you be very lucky if a package now slips through the system as it once did.

Maybe this is why Ebay come March 30 is increasing selling fees as they know they will be seing less low end items listed sold thus they are going to recover on the higher end items by increasing the final value selling fee.20220221_155736.jpg 

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

This has been in the "pipeline" for the past few years, anything other than letters or documents will have to be shipped to the USA via "parcel post" and soon every single package "tracked"...

...you know that "barcode" on small packets, it is a test for the new system.

The Universal Postal Union site and recent meeting spell out all the details...

I have never used letter mail to ship anything to the US since I started selling on eBay back in 2001. I have buyers who purchase a single bag of buttons at a couple of $$ and pay small packet USA shipping, if a buyer really wants an item they will pay for the shipping and the taxes.

But as I said in a previous post about this exact thing...

...the days of shipping items using "letter mail" are coming to a close.

Message 21 of 134
latest reply

I ship sports cards with 6x9 catelog envelopes and a thin piece of chip board/pad with the card (toploader) taped to it. I RARELY use bubble mailers!

I mailed a bubble mailed a week or so ago LetterPost to USA so I guess we shall see if it comes back.

If it becomes a complete issue and I have to use small packet going forward I expect 0 sales to the USA for anything basiclly lol. But some people might still be willing to pay the $10.00CAD for shipping. In the grand scheme of things if they already have to pay $5USD for shipping in the USA for a bubble mail maybe $2-3.00USD more isnt that bad (but sports cards do have that cheap 1.00 shipping option) So it will be few and far between!

Message 22 of 134
latest reply

I agree that this whole situation is unfortunate, but I don't think there's anyting that eBay needs to do regarding this. To be honest we were walking on thin ice the whole time; we were never allowed to mail these things by International Letter-post but continued to do so because no one was enforcing the rules. Now they've chosen to enforce the rules, which is totally within the purview of Canada Post.

This definitely will affect my business, but I just need to adapt. Encouraging international buyers to purchase multiple items to make the shipping more cost-effective is a good way to do so. I will continue to experiment. So far the three small packages I've had returned to me have all contained small video game cartridges (DS and Game Boy Advance) and have been packaged the same way (#000 poly bubble mailer with printed out address labels). So I know those particular items aren't making it through (although some of them are based on some recent positive feedback I've received). But I haven't had any of my paper-based items returned yet (knock on wood), so I'm hoping they let those through just fine.

To add to the geographic data points, I am in Winnipeg (so it's not just Toronto/GTA).

Message 23 of 134
latest reply

To add to the geographic data points, I am in Winnipeg (so it's not just Toronto/GTA).

US bound mail from Winnipeg usually goes direct to Chicaco doesn't it? No stops in Mississauga?

It would be interesting to see if this blitz is a temporary thing or could one go back to "business as usual" in six months?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 24 of 134
latest reply

I had two packages returned for same reason. Had to pay extra - small packets. I am thinking I might now have another that might be returned.

Message 25 of 134
latest reply

I do not send lettermail to the USA, so I cannot help you find a pattern. 

If they are returning packages regularly enough that multiple posters here on this small forum are making threads about it, I think it will only get worse. My advice would be to find an alternate means of shipping items. If one doesn't exist that works within a seller's margins with a type of item, I would leave the market for that particular item because it won't be worth selling.

Chit Chats appears to offer USPS First Class Lettermail, so that might be an option for some people. I am not familiar with what size restrictions are in place on USPS First Class Lettermail. 

Message 26 of 134
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

Chit Chats appears to offer USPS First Class Lettermail, so that might be an option for some people. I am not familiar with what size restrictions are in place on USPS First Class Lettermail. 

For the benefit of anyone who may want more info:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-are-the-Types-of-First-Class-Mail

Message 27 of 134
latest reply

Yes they are kicking everything back: bubble mailers and cardboard insulated. These are items thathave met the size and weight requirements of lettermail for the past 15 yearsthat  we've been selling. There has has been no new announcements on the Canada Post site or Ebay. I phoned the 800 number in Ottawa for Canada Post, and the girl I spoke to didn't know anything about it, put me on hold while she "talked to her superiors", and came back and said the only thing they were aware of was a delay of USA deliveries because of the blockade at the Windsor bridge. They had no answer regarding the sticker advising us "The item does not conform to lettermail standards". ☹️

Message 28 of 134
latest reply

It takes about 20 days for a package to be returned to sender if get flagged for any reason like wrong postage amount or other so if it comes back to you be next week or so

Message 29 of 134
latest reply

Mississauga Sorting Plant is the heart of Canada Post tons packages go through so i believe its the staring point to enforce from there and then spread out, so time will tell if other plants across country be seeing same thing. 

Message 30 of 134
latest reply

I signed up with Chitchats so if the 5 Oversized packages i sent after the 2 thin ones come back im going to resend back with Chitchat cause i dont know what Canada post would want extra to resend them if its only $3.00 more as i had paid about $5.00 then i will just take small loss pay the extra $3.00 to Canada post and remail them if Canada post  wants extra $10.00 the i will go to Chichats as it only cost about 6.50 and would have tracking with it and insurance, only claw back is locations and they only open 4 days week and 10am to 5pm Tues to Friday  closed weekends

Message 31 of 134
latest reply

Returning items like this, this is a long time coming honestly.  I started having my packages held at customs for mysterious reasons going to the US years ago and I quickly realized what the problem was:  I wasnt shipping it the right way.  It became abundantly clear there was no way around this, I had to bite the bullet and send it small packet, fill out the form and declaration, and charge more for shipping.  And guess what: customers didnt disappear when I increased to small packet rate, because they still wanted my stuff.   

If you ever as a Canadian think you are charging anyone internationally too much for shipping, just search any item you want and look at the US to Canada shipping price in the low to mid 20's....and its not just one or two items, its the vast majority of them.  Seeing these beyond ridiculous shipping prices mostly cures me of buying American but more importantly it cures me instantly of feeling like I am "charging too much for shipping".  

However, I have left CP for all US items, even in Alberta using CP for US bound items is a waste of my money and time, I wont  use them anymore. Chit Chats is so much cheaper and so much more efficient than CP ever was.  Other than lettermail items I will steadily cut CP out of more and more of my business as cheaper and more effective options exist out there just waiting for people to use them.  I dont think CP understands how close to going off the cliff completely they are, they foolishly think people wont clue in and cling to customers reliance to past ways of doing things hoping they'll never figure out that other cheaper options exist, let alone dare to take the step to try them out and make the same discovery I and many others on here have. 

Message 32 of 134
latest reply

@darak10 wrote:

I dont think CP understands how close to going off the cliff completely they are, they foolishly think people wont clue in and cling to customers reliance to past ways of doing things hoping they'll never figure out that other cheaper options exist, let alone dare to take the step to try them out and make the same discovery I and many others on here have. 

I think there's an unwritten plan to make Canada Post as unappealing an option as possible.  Remember Deepak Chopra's plan to axe door-to-door delivery?  Check out the background of the current CEO.  I don't think he's particularly interested in having the private sector cozy up to Canada Post, and indeed, I'm seeing fewer packages and parcels from retailers that have been handled by Canada Post to my door.

Message 33 of 134
latest reply

Same return issue. Flat envelope 16 x 23 cm weight 65 Gram.  With 1 Stamps Sheet ( Paper) protected with light cardboard ( Paper )shipped as letter mail to USA

Returned with label info

" Ship as small packet"

Message 34 of 134
latest reply

Sorry, I didn't see your message earlier. My books were is Kraft envelopes, under 100 or 200 grams. Within correct diameters. According to my post office, that should be fine. Looking at the Canada Post shipping cost, there are lettermail up to 500 grams to Canada, US and Internations. So what is in those packages to weigh that much? If they are not withing the confirmation of lettermail, just what are being sent at that weight.

I just don't know what to do, to increase shipping costs to $3-6 books to package rate, they just won't sell. Do I risk mailing at lettermail and chance them being returned after about 3 weeks and then having to pay shipping costs again and buyers having very late deliveries. 

Message 35 of 134
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I just don't know what to do

You appear to be in Guelph, switch to using Stallion Express. Ship once a week (5 day handling), you would save a ton of money and your packages would get there faster than via Canada Post.

You can use their Mississauga office or alternatively they have a drop-off location in Kitchener.

If you can send your stuff (paterns) without a stiffener you can send as USPS First Class Flats, very cheap.

If you drop off in Kitchener on a Monday, your US customers will receive on Thursday or Friday. You can also get CP Expedited (for larger domestic packages if any) for less than what you can get from eBay, Shippo etc.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 36 of 134
latest reply

I wish that was an option for me. I am 79, disabled and don't drive. My 80 year old husband goes to the post office for me, but going every week to Kitchener I don't really want him to do that. I guess I will just have to increase all my prices and hope buyers will still purchase. It is not an easy situation. On some listings I have just added half of the increased cost, but for very low priced items, the profit would be negative. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Message 37 of 134
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I wish that was an option for me. I am 79, disabled and don't drive. My 80 year old husband goes to the post office for me, but going every week to Kitchener I don't really want him to do that. I guess I will just have to increase all my prices and hope buyers will still purchase. It is not an easy situation. On some listings I have just added half of the increased cost, but for very low priced items, the profit would be negative. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Would it be possible for any of your items to bundle in groups. Might make shipping more worthwhile if you can make that work for you and your customer base. You could add some kind of disclaimer. Due to current enforcement of what constitutes paper matter by CP must now  use Small Packet Air to meet those guidelines.  I am able to combine on shipping. Note: There should be very limited difference in postage between 1,2 or 3 units.

-Lotz

Message 38 of 134
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

Some update

I dont know if just luck or maybe it only affects small packages aswell as having a toploader hoding the card. As the 2 packages i received back were sent out Jan 31 & Feb 2  they each contained a single card and the cards were in top loader made of plastic. Last night and today i got feed backs on 2 packages that i had sent out on FEB 8 and FEB 12 but they were over sized packages but still sent under the letter mail category.

Now both packages didnt have any plastic top loaders, they both contained hockey packs and protected with cardboard on both side of the packs,  compared to the earlier 2 that did come back only difference they had the TOP LOADERS plastic materials so maybe they are just flagging the thin packages. The only way to find out would be to send as Over Sized package to USA with cards inside top loader and if it goes through or not, it would be trial and error. 

Message 39 of 134
latest reply

as yet, none of my paper goods packages have been returned...I have not changed anything ...still shipping the patterns as previously,same method.(oversize lettermail rates)

Message 40 of 134
latest reply