GTC update: check announcement board

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

You may have seen the announcement already, but wanted to get it posted here just in case you haven't:

The Good 'Til Cancelled (GTC) change has been moved back from April to early July 2019. 

No, this isn't a trick. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: GTC update: check announcement board

Thanks, Tyler....Happy to hear on the temporary reprieve. It will be extremely appreciated my most!!  Personally, my mottos have always been, Why put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after and Procrastination is Job 2. The delay in implementing falls in line with both of those perfectly!!! Have an awesome April 1st!!

-Lotz

Was eBay reading out thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPAZ5gMfsE

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

As a long time GTC seller this doesn't bother me much, but sellers should also look at this post:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/GTC-Relist-Dates-for-April/m-p/421174#M104641

from @tryubik-useonlyasdirected   if they list on dotCOM.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

July marks my 20 th. year on eBay.  During those 20 years, I have watched my "rights" as a seller erode until there is nothing left.  In my opinion, GTC is negative billing.  This is a practice that is almost fraudulent in nature as it means extra fees for eBay - because people forget that they have to cancel before the next billing.  For me, I sell many different, unique items.  If the item doesn't sell, what is the point of paying fees for another 30 days.  I would rather pull that item and try to sell another one.  

I used to have a profitable business on eBay, but this latest "improvement" is the last straw.  Buyers now have all the benefits.  They can do whatever they want at my expense.  This year will be my last on eBay.  Sad to be going, but I have watched my income dwindle as eBay's increases.  Not right!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Put a 'Post It Note' on your computer screen with your billing date...
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

If the item doesn't sell, what is the point of paying fees for another 30 days.

The point is that someone who hasn't already seen it may see it in the second month and purchase  it. If it isn't listed, they won't see it and it definitely won't sell.  But I do  realize that your situation is different than mine because your items are fairly low cost. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

As a longtime GTC / Fixed Price and Store seller, I have appreciated the lower labour costs of GTC, although I still make a regular practice of reviewing my listings daily for items I want to move to my Unsolds (or even delete and donate).

The eBay claim is that an relisted GTC item will have a better chance of being picked up by Google, finding customers who Search there rather than automatically going to eBay.

I do hope that during the "reprieve" eBay Canada looks into changing the listing period of one month to a period of 30 days to match the billing period.

(eg- an item listed on Feb 1 would renew on March 2, an item listed on April 1 would renew on April 30, an item listed on July 1

This one step would take most of the anger over a quite sudden change  away.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Anyone who is "angry" about the double insertions in a single month won't be happy with ANYTHING.

The answer to that issue is so absolutely simple......don't list thing in the first week of the month and it would be a couple of years before you get a relist in the same month.......

And that won't happen because eBay will have ended it (GTC unsold within a year will be ended).

If nothing else this GTC change might force a few people to actually pay some attention to what they are doing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@recped 

And that won't happen because eBay will have ended it (GTC unsold within a year will be ended).

Are you predicting this?

At the moment they put a polite "has not sold in 16 months" on slow moving items, which is a reasonable reminder.

Sometimes I take those items down for a rest, sometimes I delete and donate, sometimes I leave them alone.

As to your basic point, that this is a tempest in a teapot, I must agree.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The one year thing has been posted a few times on the US Boards by the usual "blues". I also saw it in the .com help files or maybe part of an announcement (can't find it now).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggest retire GTC!!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Suggest retire GTC!!

I do not think this is the solution either as many sellers are using it. It is very helpful for many. But we should still have the choice like we always had. EBay wants us to fit ONE business model. But not every business will work on just one model. We need to decide what we want to use for our own business (or hobby in my case).

That being said, I hope the postpone will make them reconsider. I wish they would do the same for the US. But maybe they are simply waiting to see if this will work as they planned before implementing it everywhere.

I know it won't work for me.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I'm curious as to the 'why' it was postponed in Canada, but I'm guessing we'll never know.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@great_junque_finds wrote:
I'm curious as to the 'why' it was postponed in Canada, but I'm guessing we'll never know.

That's easy: system software updates are a lower eBay priority for Canada.

-..-

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I think they've been going backwards ever since the change to CAD only.

But's that's just imho
Message 15 of 15
latest reply