Germany is Excluded In Business Policies Yet Sale Just Completed

Hi All,

Did anyone else have this happen? A sale to Germany completed yet I've had the country excluded in my

business policies since the  start of the packaging issue.   I checked and Germany is still excluded in my Ship To locations. The item is a small metal piece about 1.5 inches long.  I suppose I should report it to eBay and cancel "Due to problem with address". Just checking to see if it's just me this time around.

Thanks!

Gemany is Excluded in Shipping Policy2.JPGGemany is Excluded in Shipping Policy3.JPG

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@marnotom! , @ricarmic , @brettjet38 

Figured it out thanks to marnotom! It was ALL my fault... Maybe my mistake will benefit someone else.

In the words of Adrian Monk "Here's what happened!"

After eBay introduced Canada Post domestic "Expedited Lite" I changed the business policy on my listings that weighed under 200 grams. I made a lot of changes so instead of copying the regular policy for Expedited I created a new one and I goofed.

I forgot to add Germany to the exclusion list when I implemented the Expedited Lite policy. The item in question weighs 100 grams.  Although I don't have many listings under 200 grams they have been eligible for purchase in Germany since I made the change. 

Thanks marnotom! I owe you a beer... 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Is their registered country Germany? I've had folks who are in different countries than their country of registration purchase stuff before, ie their ID shows registered in a country that I don't ship to yet they are shipping to a country other than their registered country.

My "wonder" is if the reverse is true their country of registration is NOT Germany but their shipping address is....

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Hi @ricarmic 

Thank you for your response.  I thought of that too but the shipping address is indeed Berlin. Not sure how it slipped past my exclusion list.  I contacted eBay via chat.  Their advisement is to contact the customer with an explanation then cancel the order using "Problem with buyer's address" as expected so that is what I will do.

I told eBay I didn't know the time difference there or if the buyer speaks English. The contact is just to cushion the blow I suppose.  Frankly I was tempted to just ship it and move on. The EU thing  is such a shame. 

I hope this "Exclusion of the exclusions" is a one-off and not the next repetitive glitch.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hi! If you click on their ID what country does it show there tho? I suspect it ISNT Germany....

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

thanks 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Hmm well I guess that puts it into "glitch" territory after all!!!

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Yep,  sometimes "Listing is a glitch waiting to happen"... ;>}

Donovan sang it best,

"Oh no, must be the season of the glitch
Must be the season of the glitch"

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

So, it gets more concrete...

I had at least two Buyers in Germany registered in Germany able to purchase items I have listed, and I have Germany on my no Ship list.

In my case, I refunded the purchases as "Problem with the Address" which technically it is, to an address in a country I do not sell/ship to anymore. I explained to both Buyers the reason why and pointed out my no-ship list.

I have read about this happening before in another post on here last year, so I guess it is an actual eBay glitch. 

Wonder how many others have had the same issue, one buyer. Both were Buy it Now with Best Offer Listings and both Buyers were able to use the Buy it Now option. Both ship-to addresses were in Germany and not a forwarder in the USA.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I think it must be sporadic though, I lost a couple of regular buyers from Germany when I added it to my no ship list, so theoretically it is working sometimes, unless it is simply coincidence that they dropped me at the same time I dropped them so to speak.....

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

This is weird.  I picked one of @brettjet38's listings at random, and I can't get Germany to come up on the drop-down list of shipping locations.  I then viewed the listing on the eBay Germany site and there's a "Shipping cannot be calculated.  Please enter a valid postcode" message rather than a "does not ship to Germany" message in the shipping section.

@intimewithmusic, I just checked a few of your listings at random and I don't see Germany on the exclusion list for any of them.  You have several other countries/regions excluded, but Germany isn't one of them.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@brettjet38 

So I'm not alone in this...The worst part other than losing the sale, is Germany is a great market for sales. It makes me wonder why "The World's Largest Marketplace" can't reconnect us to this large lost market.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I think it's been about 2 years since registering became mandatory. I had a lot of sales to Germany before I excluded them back then. This is the first breach I've had.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi @marnotom! 

Thank you for checking on that.

I use business policies for everything. I checked in there for an eBay policy duplication with an error in it but  everything with my policies are fine and the one attached to the listing is accurate.  As shown in my screen shot Germany is definately excluded. 

It would sure be great if eBay reopened Germany or else the government back pedaled on the packaging rules.  Maybe they could learn how to recycle...

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! , @ricarmic , @brettjet38 

Figured it out thanks to marnotom! It was ALL my fault... Maybe my mistake will benefit someone else.

In the words of Adrian Monk "Here's what happened!"

After eBay introduced Canada Post domestic "Expedited Lite" I changed the business policy on my listings that weighed under 200 grams. I made a lot of changes so instead of copying the regular policy for Expedited I created a new one and I goofed.

I forgot to add Germany to the exclusion list when I implemented the Expedited Lite policy. The item in question weighs 100 grams.  Although I don't have many listings under 200 grams they have been eligible for purchase in Germany since I made the change. 

Thanks marnotom! I owe you a beer... 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

A similar situation here. A buyer from Israel purchased an item. I am not able to send the invoice, getting this error: 

png.png

Also the buyer cannot pay, even after I added him to the buyer exemption list. 

I need to wait 4 days to cancel the transaction for non-payment. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

In your case, @38e_avenue, eBay has “paused” shipping from the US and Canada to Israel. I’m not sure how your buyer got through the exclusion list, though. Perhaps they had a different address active when they purchased your item.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Updates-and-seller-protections-for-shipments-impacted-by-...
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
In your case, @38e_avenue, eBay has “paused” shipping from the US and Canada to Israel. I’m not sure how your buyer got through the exclusion list, though. Perhaps they had a different address active when they purchased your item.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Updates-and-seller-protections-for-shipments-impacted-by-...

Yes, I know. It's why I am surprised the transaction went through. Buyer's address was in Israel. 

Message 17 of 17
latest reply