How do we figure out how much GST/HST that eBay has collected on our behalf?

ecgt
Community Member

We operate a registered business and have collected and remitted tax on eBay every quarter for more than a decade. Given the new tax regime that eBay has implemented, we are trying to get things ready for our accountant now that Q3 has ended. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything in the eBay generated financial statements or tax reports that shows how much GST/HST that eBay has collected on our behalf. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

I am already keeping track on our end how much GST/HST we believe that eBay has collected, I just need documentation from eBay showing what their number is so that we can send it to our accountant to make sure that the numbers are accurate. Either I am missing something or eBay is making it ridiculously difficult to find this information. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: How do we figure out how much GST/HST that eBay has collected on our behalf?

@ecgt wrote:

We operate a registered business and have collected and remitted tax on eBay every quarter for more than a decade. Given the new tax regime that eBay has implemented, we are trying to get things ready for our accountant now that Q3 has ended. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything in the eBay generated financial statements or tax reports that shows how much GST/HST that eBay has collected on our behalf. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

I am already keeping track on our end how much GST/HST we believe that eBay has collected, I just need documentation from eBay showing what their number is so that we can send it to our accountant to make sure that the numbers are accurate. Either I am missing something or eBay is making it ridiculously difficult to find this information. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You can get the total of GST/HST/PST that eBay collected on your behalf by running a Transaction Report.

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/report

Not sure why you would need this for your accountant,  sounds like they don't fully understand how it works because the tax collected by eBay does not need to be reported to the CRA and because the funds are never given to you they are not part of your financial statements.

I just filed my recent GST return and had no need whatsover to have this information.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: How do we figure out how much GST/HST that eBay has collected on our behalf?

ecgt
Community Member

Thanks for your reply @recped

We need this information to calculate input tax credits. We will give your solution a shot.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@ecgt wrote:

Thanks for your reply @recped

We need this information to calculate input tax credits. We will give your solution a shot.

ITC - GST/HST collected by YOU = Amount owed or refund

You did not collect GST/HST on eBay sales after July 1st so unless you collected GST/HST via other sales channels the amount collected on your filing is ZERO.

Normally (in the past) as a GST registered seller with only a modest amount of ITCs I have almost always owed CRA, going forward since virtually all of my Canadian sales are via eBay I will almost always be receiving refunds.

I have another business with a different GST number, that account has never collected a penny in GST, always has ITCs and therefore always gets a refund, more than 20 years of quarterly refunds and never questioned by CRA. If CRA were to question your filings simply telling them eBay is collecting should suffice, next would be to offer up the agent agreement signed with eBay.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

That makes sense. Did you still enter you quarterly sales as we always did before or is ebay now reporting that to the CRA as well. Leaving us with only filling out the ITC line.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@wheelersndealers2020 wrote:

That makes sense. Did you still enter you quarterly sales as we always did before or is ebay now reporting that to the CRA as well. Leaving us with only filling out the ITC line.

Yes of course I report gross sales. eBay DOES NOT report ANY individual seller information to CRA. I file online with NetFile, you would not be able to complete the filing without entering something in the Gross Sales field. I'd bet that if you left it off a paper filing it would get rejected and your would get a letter from CRA telling you that.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply