How to sell in US $ and receive payout in US$

rowval
Community Member

Hi I have not sold on eBay in about 4 years, I want to sell again. How do I list in US$ and receive my payout In US $ I have a Royal Bank Georgia US account

thanks

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

to be able to list in USD, you will need to log into the.COM eBay site, apply all rules and policies as per the.COM site and list your items there.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Canadian eBay users are also expected to have US dollar checking/chequing accounts with Canadian banks/on Canadian soil.  However, you show up as being registered in the United States, so I'm not sure how that would work out for you.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

While we can accept payment in US dollars we can't use  a US based bank , like RBCBank, unless we are resident in theUSA.

Our RBC account was used for our online auction house and eBay. When we retired and closed our auction, we kept the account attached to our Paypal account for eBay sales.

We were disappointed to learn that with the switch to Managed Payments, RBCBank was no longer a choice.

Before you choose to use your Royal Bank US dollar account, look carefully at currency exchange. You don't want to be paying exchange twice.

There is also the question of US taxes. EBay is required to send US sellers an income tax form when they gross $600US from sales. You may be liable for income tax in two countries. (Probably not, but check it out.)

BTW. If you choose to set up your Managed Payments account in US dollars, it will be permanent. You cannot later choose to move to loonies.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Basically you don't.  As per the excellent previous posts trying to do so opens a crazy can of worms.   I use $US so mainly sell on .com but have a US$ chequing account from a Canadian bank.

The requirement is for a chequing account as well.  Unfortuantely I don't know of any US$ chequing accounts that do not have fees.  There are US$ savings accounts (NO chequing) that are free but that does not work for eBay.   The best I found is a US$ chequing account that waives fees with a not to bad minimum balance.  

I think trying to register and make your Georgia account work will likely lead to a ton of grief, even if initally accepted by the eBay system.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@rowval wrote:

Hi I have not sold on eBay in about 4 years, I want to sell again. How do I list in US$ and receive my payout In US $ I have a Royal Bank Georgia US account

thanks

Your location is showing as a US resident. are you a US citizen or a legal permanent resident? If you are then you need to sign up for Managed Payments on .com and provide a SSN or TIN, using you US based bank account and create your listings on .com

If you are NOT a US resident or US citizen but rather a Canadian you will need to change your location BEFORE attempting to sign up for Managed Payment. Sign up for Managed Payments on .ca using your Canadian SIN. When signing up for Managed Payments on .ca you will be given a ONE TIME option to receive payments in US Dollars and they must be deposited in a CANADIAN based US Dollar account.

If you make an attempt to do anything else your current account will be TOAST! and you would have to start a brand new account to get properly registered for Managed Payments.

You may recall that prior to Managed Payments it was possible to switch (once a year) your billing currency, this option no longer exists. It is now a pick one and live with it forever.

There are other options rather than a SIN to register for Managed Payments but everything else stands, any attempt to sign up for Managed Payments not following the proper procedures will result in your account being useless for selling and could even get your account permanently suspended.

Given the age of your account I'm going to assume that you are actually a Canadian resident and the account was opened before eBay.ca existed. You should have changed your location to Canada years ago but you still can but it must be BEFORE you try to register for MP.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Since many are reluctant to use their SIN as ID, I used my passport and DH used his driving license.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I thought that eBay dropped the SIN requirement?  Anyone registered lately? 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

They dropped it almost immediately and allowed us to use alternate, but usually government issued identification.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, that is what I recalled.   I expect it was just an initial roll over of US policy that the lawyers  pointed out to eBay was illegal in Canada.  

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Thanks, that is what I recalled.   I expect it was just an initial roll over of US policy that the lawyers  pointed out to eBay was illegal in Canada.  

Sorry to be nit-picky, but it’s not illegal. Strongly discouraged, yes. Illegal, no.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/protection.html

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

It is absolutely illegal for a business to require the provision of a SIN as a term of doing business with it.    eBay made an error requiring a SIN at the time to sign up for MP.   That was corrected very quickly correctly and kudos to eBay for that correction.   

For more comprehensive information suggest referring to  "The Social Insurance Number (SIN) Code of Practice" at

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/code-of-practice.html

From the page you linked - emphasis is mine: 

"If someone asks for your SIN, ask questions. Ask why they need it, ask how they will use it, and ask who else will receive it. Explain that your SIN is not required by law and that you do not want to provide it. Offer to use a different proof of identity."

Even if doing a credit check, a lender cannot require the provision of a SIN.   

Apologies for the strong reply, but this is an important point that there are only a few very specific circumstance where the provision of a SIN is legally required. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

When I first signed up for Managed Payments (different account), I used the SIN OPTION, it was not "required" it was one of a couple of options and was the easiest for me to do. After the process was complete I was able to go into my account and remove the SIN (I have no idea if that was just a visual thing or if eBay really did purge the information....don't really care).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

There is nothing in the Code of Practice that states that a private sector request for an individual's SIN is unlawful or illegal, only that this information is not required by law and the individual in question will not suffer repercussions for refusing to provide it.  All the Code states is that there is no legal backup that a private sector can employ to justify the use of an individual's SIN in most cases.

The Code "strongly discourages" the private sector's use of the SIN for anything other than anything employment or income-related and, as you note, cannot request it, but I don't see this point being couched in legal terms, as in, "it is unlawful to. . . ."

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

The key there is request.   There was a point with MP that a SIN was required and that is not legal for business.  I participated in past threads where people were being denied MP registration unless they provided their SIN. 

Agree that a request for a SIN is allowed but it has to be clear that providing it is optional.   

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

There was a point with MP that a SIN was required and that is not legal for business.  I participated in past threads where people were being denied MP registration unless they provided their SIN. 

I did a quick check of a few threads on the subject and the impression I'm left with is that even though the website didn't state that users' SINs were required, the phone reps weren't in the loop on this and were pretty hardnosed about this supposed requirement.

@byto253 wrote:

Agree that a request for a SIN is allowed but it has to be clear that providing it is optional.   

Yes, the Code says as much.  The site probably wasn't clear about this point initially, if ever.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply