Input on scammers filing for non-receive only cause item/s had no tracking

33nhl
Community Member

I lost official faith of Ebay during the holidays in the way it handles when in my opinion scammer that think like smart alches and using Ebay flaw that when an item shipped has no tracking as it sent via regular mail upon receiving the item they file as if they have not received and after few days Ebay concludes since ther is no physical tracking number for a 20.00 item sent regular mail gives a refund to the buyer.

Like is this now the norm of listing/selling on Ebay that any item listed with regular mail or some have free shipping that you might aswell give the item completely free with out listing it in the first place cause with the amount of non received cases being filed what is the point of paying listing fees and selling fees for any item that wont have tracking, and then have to deal with this kind of scams.

From one side Ebay tells you to attract buyers offer free shipping and then tells you after  upon getting someone that filed non received item, that since you had no tracking number your out of luck and thus have to refund the buyer, if this is not lying/scamming then I don't know what is.

How many buyers would buy a $10.00 item anywhere online and then pay $15.00 or more to have it tracked shipped.

I will go further on this above as I had a buyer from cheq republic recently past 3 days make a $200.00 item purchase but upon going to the check out to pay he saw that item has to be sent with tracking as stated in listing cost to send over seas registered tracking signature ect cost almost $30.00, so he asked wants it regular mail, then he cancelled transaction.

Now had I did the buyer favor accepted and mail it as regular mail then files for lost or non received then I be out money and item and people at Ebay they tell you after since no tracking number you have to give refund. that says a lot of how Ebay has become. its become a scammers dream and only way to escape it is not to list any item for sale with out tracking even if its for a $1.00 item

Have any of you experienced this and what have you done. I know some will say its part of selling on Ebay, and if it is then I think its better to start buying items rather then selling and after filing for non received and getting refunds and keeping the product as Ebay seems to be endorsing this process in the way they are handling case like these 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Is there a list available through ebay with the names of people that have filed cases of NON RECEPTION...it might be a good idea to see the repeat offenders...just received a request myself...total BS.

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

No.

Nor should there be.

Most of those INR (Item Not Received) claims are correct. The buyer really didn't get the item.

Sellers can protect themselves against bogus claims* by using tracking (which can be very expensive), by using third party insurance to cover costs of these claims, or by using Cookie Jar Insurance (self- insurance) to cover any costs of failed transactions.

In addition, it is worth telling claimants that the refund can be returned when the item is delivered by using Paypal's Send Money service.  This not only tells your customer that you believe him, but gives him useful advice about how to correct the problem, one that most people would be baffled by.

When the Claim can be proven incorrect** the buyer does not get any refund and cannot leave feedback.  Those failed claims are noted, but that is private information, unlike say, bid retractions which are displayed on the buyer's Feedback Page.

The seller can also add the claimant to her Blocked Bidder List. 

You are selling in a high fraud category (with frauds are on both sides unfortunately).

Could I suggest that you move to Free Shipping?

DON'T PANIC!

Free shipping just means putting your cost of shipping into the asking price of the item.

Which is cheaper? A $4.99 card with $2.99 shipping? or a $7.98 card with Free Shipping?

There are a couple of reasons here.

First- buyers hate paying shipping. They know they are paying, but they don't like it.

Second-the lower the price the more demanding the customer. The guy who will pay a reasonable cost is a reasonable buyer. The armed bargain hunter is suspicious that the seller is as dishonest as he himself is.

Third- Free Shipping works better on mobile devices and more than half of transactions now include mobile shopping.

BTW- don't use Flat Rate Shipping if the service you must use has different rates for different destinations.

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

But there is proof it was mailed. Screengrabs of the weight, size, dimensions and purchase codes as well as receipts the same package was dropped off and scanned into the system at the post office. Basically proof of delivery. It's not proof the USPS delivered the package but proof the package was their responsibility to deliver.

The paper trail shows their package was posted to their address prooving I'm an honest seller. Proof that they acknowledged that if the USPS lost their package they would take that chance.

I can see if there was no proof a package was posted to their address. But there is.

We did this with an Australian buyer who was fantastic through the process. All parties were honest and the transaction was smooth, everything delivered.

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

Screengrabs of the purchase process with codes that match those on the receipts will match the buyer to the package.

If the buyer waives confirmation it is not our or the USPS's responsibility to keep the buyer honest. It is only our job to execute our job. At the point of mailing my seller responsibility was fulfilled. At the point of delivery the USPS responsibility was fulfilled.

IMHO tracking and signature confirmation should be mandatory on all packages (tracking at the very least). That would straighten out a lot of scammers through-out the system and decrease opportunity for porch bandits (like trash panda's except none of the cute and all of the nasty).

Canada Post has an amazing complimentary Do Not Safe Drop option. If the buyer has to pick it up in person they cannot refute delivery.
Message 44 of 48
latest reply

Does anyone have a running list of those Countries?

Message 45 of 48
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

But there is proof it was mailed. Screengrabs of the weight, size, dimensions and purchase codes as well as receipts the same package was dropped off and scanned into the system at the post office. Basically proof of delivery. It's not proof the USPS delivered the package but proof the package was their responsibility to deliver.

The paper trail shows their package was posted to their address proving I'm an honest seller. Proof that they acknowledged that if the USPS lost their package they would take that chance.

I can see if there was no proof a package was posted to their address. But there is.

We did this with an Australian buyer who was fantastic through the process. All parties were honest and the transaction was smooth, everything delivered.

When a buyer files a claim for an item that hasn't been delivered, the claim is usually that they haven't received the item.  They're usually not claiming that the seller hasn't shipped the item.

If you delivered the item to the buyer yourself, you'd likely take responsibility for its delivery.  If you got t-boned by a semi along the way and the item was destroyed, you'd do the right thing and ensure that the buyer either got a replacement or the buyer received all their money back.

If a seller entrusts the item to another party (e.g. the postal system) for delivery, all they're doing is "contracting out" the delivery portion that they're responsible for and that the buyer has paid as part of their agreement to purchase the item.

A buyer shouldn't have to pay for something and to have that something shipped and have nothing to show for their money.  If an item goes AWOL or is damaged in transit, the seller returns the buyer's money and then pursues any sort of loss or damage claim with the carrier or the party from whom they purchased insurance.

Message 46 of 48
latest reply

IMHO tracking and signature confirmation should be mandatory on all packages (tracking at the very least). That would straighten out a lot of scammers through-out the system and decrease opportunity for porch bandits (like trash panda's except none of the cute and all of the nasty).

It should be--and is--up to the seller to do a risk-reward cost-benefit analysis to see how having their items tracked and insured up the wazoo and the increased shipping costs associated with that are going to affect their sales.  Sellers of ten dollar items aren't likely going to want to send their items by $20 shipping methods with all these bells and whistles, while sellers of $200 items might.

When my wife and I moved neighbourhoods many, many years ago, we were astounded to see that the neighbourhood supermarket regularly had toilet paper on display outside the front entrance to entice people inside the store.  If the supermarket in our old 'hood had tried the same stunt, it would have been pilfered in a flash.

Different sales environments dictate different sales strategies.

Message 47 of 48
latest reply

Does anyone have a running list of those Countries?

Most third party insurers have a list (it varies by company) on their websites.

Shipsurance has:

The following countries are excluded from coverage:
Afghanistan
Angola
Bolivia
Burma
Congo
Cuba
Iran
Iraq
Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire)
Liberia
Nigeria
North Korea
Paraguay
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Venezuela

... [for] shipments to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan, coverage ceases upon [arrival in country]. This means that if a package is scanned into these countries, coverage ceases.

-..-

Message 48 of 48
latest reply