Refunding partial shipping charges to my buyer?

Hi!

I use Canada Post calculated shipping on my listings. The actual shipping cost was way under what the calculator charged my customer, probably because package was smaller than what I had put in the listing. I want to partially refund my buyer for what he paid in shipping. The item is already paid for, shipped and I already marked it as shipped in "My eBay".

What is the "correct" way of doing this? Is there a link somewhere to do this, or should I just send him some money through Paypal?

Thanks!

Phil

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Refunding partial shipping charges to my buyer?

I go through paypal and issue a refund and in the comments put that the refund was due to (what every you want to say).

I have quite a few of these a month.  Last time there were over $45 in refunds in shipping. 

Now if it is more than $5 that you are refunding make sure you call ebay to get your fees and the tax you pay on the fees.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can do a partial refund through PayPal if they paid that way.

I recommend sending the buyer an email first saying shipping was less expensive than expected, so you are going to send them a refund. 

-..-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Find the original transaction in PayPal ( Do NOT use Send Money).

Click the Refund button

On the next page put-in the amount of the refund if it's less than a full refund (do not miss this step!).

Not sure what "way under" means but remember you will be paying fvf's on shipping as they were originally calculated.

On a single item with calculated shipping I wouldn't refund unless it was a GROSS error, If the excess is just because I found a way to shave off a few grams or make it slightly smaller I'd be keeping be keeping any overage given the buyer was happy enough to buy.

A few bucks will help balance out the times when the benefit goes the buyer because it costs more than you thought it would be.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The shipping and handling cost you give for your buyer is not just postage.

It can include packaging, upgrades (like extra insurance or Signature Confirmation), eBay fees, and Canada Post fuel surcharge and sales taxes.

It does not include any discounts you get with your Small Business Solutions card or from Shippo, when you print out your label.

Personally, I think of the discounts as covering my packaging costs and self-insurance.

But as everyone else says, you can refund easily through Paypal. And I strongly agree that a Message saying 'a' refund is coming is helpful in making your customer happy.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I go through paypal and issue a refund and in the comments put that the refund was due to (what every you want to say).

I have quite a few of these a month.  Last time there were over $45 in refunds in shipping. 

Now if it is more than $5 that you are refunding make sure you call ebay to get your fees and the tax you pay on the fees.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can do a partial refund through PayPal if they paid that way.

I recommend sending the buyer an email first saying shipping was less expensive than expected, so you are going to send them a refund. 

-..-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Find the original transaction in PayPal ( Do NOT use Send Money).

Click the Refund button

On the next page put-in the amount of the refund if it's less than a full refund (do not miss this step!).

Not sure what "way under" means but remember you will be paying fvf's on shipping as they were originally calculated.

On a single item with calculated shipping I wouldn't refund unless it was a GROSS error, If the excess is just because I found a way to shave off a few grams or make it slightly smaller I'd be keeping be keeping any overage given the buyer was happy enough to buy.

A few bucks will help balance out the times when the benefit goes the buyer because it costs more than you thought it would be.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The shipping and handling cost you give for your buyer is not just postage.

It can include packaging, upgrades (like extra insurance or Signature Confirmation), eBay fees, and Canada Post fuel surcharge and sales taxes.

It does not include any discounts you get with your Small Business Solutions card or from Shippo, when you print out your label.

Personally, I think of the discounts as covering my packaging costs and self-insurance.

But as everyone else says, you can refund easily through Paypal. And I strongly agree that a Message saying 'a' refund is coming is helpful in making your customer happy.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks everyone!

I don't know what a Kudo is, but I all gave you one Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@philestore wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I don't know what a Kudo is, but I all gave you one Smiley Very Happy

It’s like getting a gold star from your teacher 😀

Message 7 of 7
latest reply