Return request - Have I handled this right?

I got a return request from a new ebay US buyer wanting to return CD's because she thought they were vinyl not CD's, so the reason was ordered by mistake.  My response was that she could return the CD's but would have to ship them back to Canada and that I would refund the cost of the CD's.  She has until Jan 5 to return.  If she returns the item, I was planning on just refunding the cost of the CD's.  Shipping would not be included either way.  

This is the title:  The TIME-LIFE Treasury Of Christmas Vol 1 (2 cd Set) 45 tracks OOP - Near MINT and this is the picture. 

cd return.jpg

Did I do OK, should I also contact ebay?  The only issue is that I am leaving for 3 months on Jan 2, however, I will have access to a computer to check the tracking number and also I have someone that will be getting my mail.   The return address on the USPS label is in the US (I use Chit Chats) and I sent the buyer 2 emails that she has to ship it back to Canada to get the refund.  

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Return request - Have I handled this right?

Do you have something set up with either your housemates or  Canada Post to handle your mail while you are away?

Canada Post will not, I believe, Hold parcels, even if you have a change of address card purchased.

Otherwise, you're fine. The buyer's error so the buyer's cost for return shipping.

You don't have to insist on tracked shipping, although since you will be away it would be best in this case for both of you.

Let the customer know that their best price for return shipping will be USPS First Class International Package TO CANADA  which is tracked.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10054&ccode=CA&omil=False&dmil=False&retai...

EBay would only insist on shipping to the despatch address in the USA, and I'm not sure how chitchat handles returns. The US address would be cheaper for the buyer, and if possible, I would suggest accepting that as "delivered".

Someone who uses Chitchat regularly (they don't service my area) may be able to help you, or CC itself.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

You do have a return policy so i'm not sure what's the choices here? I guess return was automatically accepted. She selected a reason where she is responsible of shipping. If she don't ship back within timeline the case should close in your favor. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I have a neighbour picking up my mail, plus they know me well at the PO, I am there a couple of times a week.   I ship CD's in an envelope so I thought it would go international delivery and will cost her about $5.  My return address in the US is not chit chats so that will be an issue, the place doesn't hold parcels at all.  

It was very obvious from the listing that these were CD's.  Pictures and CD is mentioned 25 times through the listing.  I think that she just changed her mind.  I am hoping that she will just not bother returning the CD's because of all the hassle.  It is not like ordering from retail outlets where they return items at no cost.  At least she didn't say it was not as described, I'll give her that. 

usps.jpg

Should I contact ebay? 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It all sounds right to me.  Some Canadian sellers who use chit chat give their location as being in the US so even buyer remorse returns need to be sent to a US address.  But since your listings state Canada as the ship from location the buyer will have to pay to ship it to Canada.  Since it is a buyers remorse return you're within your right to withhold the original shipping the buyer paid.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Update:  I got notification that the buyer sent the item back to a US address.  It showed as delivered and when I contacted my postal mail drop in the US, they state they never got it and to contact the postal office.  I contacted the Post office and they asked me what my address was and they told me that was not the address that the item was delivered to.  Now I have refunded the buyer for the cost of the CD's not the shipping.  Who knows where she sent the item, in my listing I showed pictures of the CD's and mentioned at least 20 times throughout the listing that these were CD's, she thought these were vinyl, I can tell she is not the brightest crayon in the box.  I had sent her 5 emails on where to send it to in Canada and still she sent it to the wrong address in the US.   I am just chalking this up to a dull crayon, there is nothing I can do about it now. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Update:  I got notification that the buyer sent the item back to a US address.  It showed as delivered and when I contacted my postal mail drop in the US, they state they never got it and to contact the postal office.  I contacted the Post office and they asked me what my address was and they told me that was not the address that the item was delivered to.  Now I have refunded the buyer for the cost of the CD's not the shipping.  Who knows where she sent the item, in my listing I showed pictures of the CD's and mentioned at least 20 times throughout the listing that these were CD's, she thought these were vinyl, I can tell she is not the brightest crayon in the box.  I had sent her 5 emails on where to send it to in Canada and still she sent it to the wrong address in the US.   I am just chalking this up to a dull crayon, there is nothing I can do about it now. 

@musicyouneed 

The 2 biggest problems or concerns with with returns especially if they are internatational are they legit and has the customer done everything properly to make sure the item is returned safely and or economically to you in the condition they should be in. Unfortunately there is nothing from eBay's perspective to keep them (your buyer) accountable.  Example a) The item shows as delivered(when buyer handles return themselves) but not to the correct address. Example b) They don't send back what they were supposed to or an empty box. In olden days marking item RTS worked awesome for phone order purchases. Now is that a safe way to go? Things made even more complicated if the return service is more expensive than the original shipping.  Sadly no easy answers. Why, if possible I always attempt to come to a satisfactory arrangement with buyer for returns. Only you can make that decision. It definitely would be beneficial when it comes to eBay labels that there was something in place for creating return shipments. Economically would be bonus.

-Lotz

@dinomitesales for your postal expertise please, regarding returns. Canada & Internationally. 🙂

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

The buyer opened a return - does eBay not supply them with your return shipping address to mail the item back to? You said you sent the buyer 5 emails with instructions on where to send it - was this because your Canadian return address was different than the address eBay provided the buyer with? Did eBay tell the buyer to return it to a US address?

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Returns from the USA & any International location are risky at best and rarely worth the time,effort, expense, anxiety, frustration, for the seemingly lack of knowledge on these buyers to do a return correctly. Rare are the successful and correctly done returns from USA & International destinations. Many USA buyers can't seem to grasp the process or to follow instructions for a return process. Seemingly USA buyers are the most careless, thoughtless,and ignorant souls when it comes to a return of an item to another country and rarely do they make it easy for the seller.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Returns from the USA & any International location are risky at best and rarely worth the time,effort, expense, anxiety, frustration, for the seemingly lack of knowledge on these buyers to do a return correctly. Rare are the successful and correctly done returns from USA & International destinations. Many USA buyers can't seem to grasp the process or to follow instructions for a return process. Seemingly USA buyers are the most careless, thoughtless,and ignorant souls when it comes to a return of an item to another country and rarely do they make it easy for the seller.

Total agreement. I just wish eBay was a bit more rational when it comes to returns including "INAD" situations or items that arrived damaged. No thought or consideration so buyer can  properly assist the seller so they can recover...... something. It shouldn't be over a done once seller refunds. 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Now I have refunded the buyer for the cost of the CD's not the shipping.

Why did you refund if you did not have the CDs in hand (or in the hands of your friends?)

Well, what's done is done.

It is possible that the seller used eBay's eIS program for the return.

Very unlikely since that is a Seller Protection program and the buyer is ... a buyer ... and not eligible to use it.

Was the address in the Chicago area?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

It showed as delivered in Blaine WA on Dec 26/23.  According to ebay, I have 2 days to refund that buyer after it shows as delivered.  I kept expecting to hear from my mail pickup outlet that it was ready to pick up and when I contacted them today Dec 29, they told me that I had never received it.  I contacted the PO and they told me that the address I wanted it to be delivered it to wasn't where it was delivered.  eBay would take the fact that it shows as delivered and I would lose the case, anyways.   At this point, I am done with this buyer.  Chalk it up to realizing not everyone was born with thinking ability. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Did you have your own return address set up in chitchats?  If not the return address will default to a chitchat one I am pretty sure., which is in Niagara Falls, NY. 

I would check the chitchat info and see what is showing for a return address for US shipments from them.  It may be that they buyer returned it to the chitchats address that is on the label and it is winding its way back to you for pick up at chitchats.   

Just speculating, but worth checking.   

I updated my US return address to a holding service I use stateside instead of the default chitchat one.  I could not get it done on online and called Chitchats - they were very good and had it set up very quickly.  Have to give credit to their phone service, whenever I have called it has been good.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

When the buyer opens a return case and then decides to not ship it back, how do you close the case? Do you have to ask ebay to do it or do they do it automatically? Is there a certain procedure to follow?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

The buyer can apparently close it but since most buyers don't, the claim will eventually time out and eBay will close it.  EBay won't close it early so be patient and they will eventually do it. 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Thank you so much!

I had an open case that I just hoped to wait out on (the buyer decided to not ship back because it was too expensive). I didn't want to poke the bear and ask her to close the case, and I've heard before "if the buyer doesn't send it back, the case will be closed", but ebay started to send me emails every day "Has the buyer shipped the item back?". Inside though it only said "....... indicated that they posted their return. The item should now be delivered. Once you've received it, please issue the buyer a refund by Jan 25, 2024" and the button "Refund the buyer". Ironically, there was no button to say that she didn't actually send it and wasn't going to. I panicked that they somehow will decide to refund the buyer anyway if I just ignore the emails and contacted ebay. They closed the case, but I wonder - is there an easier way, where I don't have to contact anyone....

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

If you issue the return label, I believe eBay should see the tracking number and will know whether or not the buyer sent it back. If it's buyer pays returns, I'd imagine eBay wouldn't know and would have to pester you.

I had one return request last year from the States. I sent a label, the buyer never returned the item, and the case was automatically closed in my favour after the requisite number of days. I didn't have to do anything else (other than cancel the unused label).

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

It was supposed to be  buyer paid return, so, I guess they wouldn't know.

But one would think ebay wouldn't want to waste their customer service time on something they already automate. Why send us emails with the subject line "Has this item been returned?"  and not give an option to answer that question and use the answer to close the case?...  Even CS rep., while she closed the case right away, wasn't able to give me a clear answer what was I supposed to do with those emails, just ignore them? Frankly, they didn't give me the feel that I can.

Oh well, maybe someone who got those emails, ignored them and lived to tell the tale, can chime in and pour the light on what happens after.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Those 'you should have received the item back, refund by xxxx date' messages are annoying and alarming if you haven't seen them before.  I've always just ignored them as I could see then that there was no tracking number entered and no indication that the item was sent back.  The claim eventually closed.

I've read that now the seller can't see the tracking number when it has been entered by the buyer so I'm not sure if I would sit and wait or contact eBay to make sure that they didn't see a tracking number as well.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Thank you!

Looks like ebay really wants us to contact them as little as possible, yet, they are not making it easy to avoid that. And their AI "assistant" is totally useless.

Luckily it was my first experience with returns, hopefully it will be the last. One can dream 🙂

Message 20 of 20
latest reply