Sales Withdrawal ?

Sup Folks. I'm curious. Can anyone relate to this?

My sales are pretty consistent but I can go a day or two without a sale...which leads me with a bit of an empty feeling in some way. Melancholy....

I've heard that drug users experience this when they stop getting their high...

I love seeing the eBay logo pop up and I love getting sales even more 😄

Do yall out there feel that same rush once an offer or sale comes through?

Just a thought.

Jake
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sales Withdrawal ?

I assume your post is tongue in cheek, but if eBay activity is effecting a seller that way, I would recommend removing the app and instead using a routine time of day where they set an hour or two aside to login, respond to offers/messages, and pack their orders. While it is a benefit to respond to customers messages or offers right away, for 99 percent of people selling on eBay it wouldn't be worth the tradeoff of having eBay affect your mood in that way.

Whether it's eBay, a retail store, or any platform, I think there is additional stress for people who rely on income from a business for their day to day life, because there is no consistent guarantee of income. I don't think it's exclusive to eBay, although the 'always on' nature of waiting for notifications could increase any stress from times being slow. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sales Withdrawal ?

I assume your post is tongue in cheek, but if eBay activity is effecting a seller that way, I would recommend removing the app and instead using a routine time of day where they set an hour or two aside to login, respond to offers/messages, and pack their orders. While it is a benefit to respond to customers messages or offers right away, for 99 percent of people selling on eBay it wouldn't be worth the tradeoff of having eBay affect your mood in that way.

Whether it's eBay, a retail store, or any platform, I think there is additional stress for people who rely on income from a business for their day to day life, because there is no consistent guarantee of income. I don't think it's exclusive to eBay, although the 'always on' nature of waiting for notifications could increase any stress from times being slow. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

Great response! Yeah it's essentially tongue in cheek. Not remotely equating it identically with an actual drug addiction..which is of course far more serious. It's more just checking in with other sellers to see how they feel with regards to sales and the in between periods of no sales.

I agree with you..it's good to take breaks etc and to disconnect once in awhile. E commerce is certainly a grind and a learning lesson.

Thanks for the input!

Jake
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

byto253
Community Member

Yup, there is a little dopamine hit when a sale pops up 😁😎

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

Yep exactly!

The times change but not the sale "rush".

For those other pre-internet days folks, in the olden days it was getting a stack of order envelopes in the mailbox/post office, today it's the bing of an email coming in, or seeing the "red bell" (unless it's just a message ;-( ), or the "out of the office so I've got to check my "sold" list via my phone" from time to time....

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

Exactly 💯 I think for sellers, it really is the rush and enjoyment/excitement of fhe sale 😎

Thanks for input 👍

Jake
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

.. da cash to help fund cold weather getaways to warm palm tree places does not suck either 😎 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

I really should be doing so many other things right now but as I was packaging I was pondering "Why?"

In my case I think it is "recognition" that I feel. I've found the stuff, identified,grouped,priced it appropriately, found place(s) to list it, get it noticed and ultimately sold, reinforcing that I did things right. Sure it is also my pay cheque so there's theoretically eventual financial "recognition" too assuming I did a good job on the financial aspect, and the post sale stuff is successful as well. 

When my store's on vacation, I don't at all miss the picturing, listing, messages, packaging, etc, but boy I sure do miss the "ping" of a sale, especially for the first couple days or so! Which probably is in some addiction definition somewhere!

Back to work.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Sales Withdrawal ?

@ricarmic 😎

You nailed the whole feeling I think. Really accurate. The ping and the recognition of doing things properly is an awesome feeling for sure.

@byto253 🤣🤣 That too I'm sure 🏖
Message 9 of 9
latest reply