Sales and Covid-19

I was having my best four months ever (I only sell 5 months a year)  and it just quit.

Then the US woke up re: Covid-19 - not one sale in the last 2 weeks.

eBay thinks people staying at home will increase sales.

My wife thinks people just don't want to spend their money right now. (I think she's right)

Anyone else want to pitch in?

I transferred a large amount of money to my Bank Account from PayPal last week - wish I had waited. Then I thought - the dollar is low and lots of Canadians are going to suffer so.................. no grousing.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Sales and Covid-19

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
I read a cbc news piece on the airlines debacle. Seems a side effect of all the cancelled overseas flights has been a sudden shortage of air cargo services. Apparently passenger airliners have been routinely carrying a lot of freight as well as passengers baggage. Maybe freight is more lucrative than baggage??

Freight space on an airplane is usually rented out in advance and is guaranteed money for the airline for each flight. Passengers and luggage for most routes are very variable.

-..-

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

@needsmorerobots wrote:

For now I go through the motions and pay my monthly Ebay bill until I believe it's no longer financially viable. When that happens I'll shut down temporarily. Hopefully I can make just enough in sales per month to break even.

Well - I am in the danger group and really don't want to go to the Post office every couple of days. Who knows in a week we may not be able to go at all. I am thinking about shutting down in the next few days.

Message 22 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

I haved noticed a larger amount of watchers and have sold a few things in the last week which is more than usual. I have also purchased 3 things online in the last week. With all this lock down and the dollar so low it is a great time to sell on Ebay.com in US dollars, and then add $1.00 to the postage fee for danger pay to go out and mail it.  Life goes on.

Message 23 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

No sales, very slow. I had couple of transactions sometime ago from Canadian buyers, usually it happened in clusters.  I think people afraid to spend on non essential items.  

Message 24 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

@goldnideas wrote:

No sales, very slow. I had couple of transactions sometime ago from Canadian buyers, usually it happened in clusters.  I think people afraid to spend on non essential items.  

Yup. I was going to buy a DVD set today for my collection that was half the price of retail. I sat back and remembered I have no clue where I'm going to be in 3 months financially. I have to keep my spending to the essentials.

Message 25 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

@rosscd57 wrote:

Well - I am in the danger group and really don't want to go to the Post office every couple of days. Who knows in a week we may not be able to go at all. I am thinking about shutting down in the next few days.

Sorry to hear of it Ross.

I don't think I have any solutions to suggest. Come back as soon as you can.

Message 26 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

You don't actually have to go into the PO if your label (or postage) is already correct.

Just drop your packages into the mailbox outside the PO.

Your barcoded items will show as accepted at the terminal, a few hours later than they would if you stood in line for the clerk.

Unless the item is very valuable and needs Signature Confirmation, there is no real need to go into the PO.

The point about how cheap our prices will look to Americans is well taken. Our costs have not changed (yet) so we might as well get out there with product.

Message 27 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

@rosscd57 CPC does not want to handle non-essentials either (they had the most stringent rules of any place we have been in the last week, by far) - the more we can reduce potential vectors the faster we can plank this thing (and perhaps plank the profiteers while we're at it).

Our store is open but all packages are being kept in a safe location for post when Emergency states are removed by the Provinces. Currently all Canadian Provinces have declared an emergency. Our handling times have been extended to match those currently in place by the Emergency measures.

eBay has waived late shipping penalties (at least in the short term). It is important they follow through and maintain this practice, perhaps with waiving of annual subscription fees etc. until things get back on their feet. A stressed seller won't be a seller in the future so relief and lending a hand is to everyone's advantage.

Message 28 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

It is also important to note there are postal carriers at the other end. Reducing our exposure should not, if we can help it, increase someones exposure elsewhere. 

Message 29 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

STOP THE PRESSES - I just made a sale.

Actually I am in a small town and the Post Office is in the Shoppers Drug Mart - fairly safe and they are now offering the first hour after opening for Seniors only. So should be good.

Message 30 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

no, its because there's only one company in Canada doing it and here's the article link as to why all the problems now...
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/cargojet-ceo-appeals-for-government-support-as-freight-demand-surges-1.1...
Message 31 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

@darak10 wrote:
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/cargojet-ceo-appeals-for-government-support-as-freight-demand-surges-1.1...

CargoJet an all-cargo carrier, based in Mississauga, Ontario, is Canada’s biggest provider of time-sensitive premium overnight air cargo services. The carrier has a fleet of 23 Boeing 767 aircraft.

Less passenger jets flying means less cargo capacity overall.  Which is why demand for CargoJet has surged.  They are not the only air freight carrier in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airlines_of_Canada

Message 32 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

What did you mean by..

CPC does not want to handle non-essentials either (they had the most stringent rules of any place we have been in the last week, by far)

Message 33 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

I just read another post of yours which I think answers my question.  Your post office would rather not handle non essentials but there is no rule that they will only accept certain packages.

Message 34 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

Yes, as far as I've heard, as of now anyhow, CPC is still accepting all packages. However on ... Thursday? May have been Friday? ... during the daily briefing they stressed to keep it to essentials only. And certain cities have retail shut-down officially, and its encouraged in other sectors. As a caregiver of two people who qualify for the age categories I'm taking as few chances as possible and don't want to place others in any precarious places either if it can be helped. 

Plank this thing! Plank the Profiteers! And Lend a Hand!

Message 35 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

Everyone need to take a deep breath and take all the precautions necessary, but also stay calm and carry on life as best as can within the perimeters of logic and sensibility.

the sky is not falling... the sun will rise tomorrow, the stars and moon will remain in the sky...

Mail items are much less risky than so many other things...

Sellers have the choice to shut down if they so desire, or continue onward adjusting and adapting as needed.

Fedex, UPS, USPS, Canada Post,etc will continue onward with or without eBay sellers...

I am in my 70's and I do not fear this...

I have been around long enough to know that taking the necessary precautions, and being sensible will out do any of this madness/hoarding/over-stockpiling and irrational behavior.

anyone remember the tuberculosis years? transmission of that disease similar...

Message 36 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

I ended all my items. I know eBay wants everyone to stay open but I have a bad feeling. My inventory will keep.

When everything goes back to quasi normal I will see what the market is like and evaluate prices.

And as far as not being afraid, I'm afraid I am afraid. So many here in B.C. are not cooperating with the instructions to self isolate or keep distance. Big Weddings and groups on the beach.

C19 is serious. Look at Italy. That could be us. I intend to be safe. My folks are older, dad is diabetic, gotta be extra careful.
Message 37 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

@rosscd57  - I can relate.

Between my two selling accounts, I sold more in January and February of this year than I did in all of 2019.  Instead of spending entire days listing new items every two or three weeks, I tried to list a few on each account every two or three days, and that seemed to revitalize the existing listings.  Then, like you, when "stuff" hit the fan, everything seemed to come to a halt.

At first, I thought maybe with people stuck at home, they might browse and buy things.  Then I realized how many people have lost their jobs or their businesses had to be closed -- I wouldn't be shopping either.  But I did have two sales today, so they may pick up again.

On the bright side, I did transfer some U.S. funds to my account today ... 

Message 38 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

According to this report there have been numerous instances of Covid 19 cases disrupting U.S. Domestic flights this past week due to temporary tower closures . Las Vegas has been a real bad trouble spot. This sort of workplace disruption is bound to get worse.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airports/faa-to-briefly-close-new-york-traffic....

Message 39 of 73
latest reply

Sales and Covid-19

Our sales have died out since about tuesday...I think this is going to go on for the rest of the month atleast...starting in mid April when people realize they aren't going to loose there homes and they have food and supplies and the supply chain is going to keep going the sales will slowly start to trickle back...it's going to be slow for the next month or so that's forsure..but I'm positive things will turn out better at the end of this...we as a society will have a greater appreciation for community when this is all done

Stay safe peeps and remember it is the responsibility of the strongest among us to take care of the weakest

Message 40 of 73
latest reply