Sending Invoice BEFORE a purchase

I get endless daily messages from customers asking me to send them an invoice for the items they have in their cart, and i always reply that i cant see their cart or their purchases till after they commit.

I also ask them to use the REQUEST TOTAL button but very few seems to be able to find this option..

Any insights here?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Sending Invoice BEFORE a purchase

Me as well, let me know if you ever figure out a "cure" for this!!!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

This has not worked properly for me forever!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@4topnotes wrote:

I get endless daily messages from customers asking me to send them an invoice for the items they have in their cart, and i always reply that i cant see their cart or their purchases till after they commit.

I also ask them to use the REQUEST TOTAL button but very few seems to be able to find this option..

Any insights here?

devon@ebay 

Please address. This is a major concern for many sellers and buyers. And as noted in this thread it has not worked properly for ages.

Thanks,

-Lotz
@
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@4topnotes wrote:

Any insights here?

The Request Total button is NEVER available if your buyer is using the APP.

The Request Total button is often greyed out when using a desktop because of eBay's somewhat random use of forced IPR (applied on an irregular basis since 2012).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The Request Total button is often greyed out when using a desktop because of eBay's somewhat random use of forced IPR (applied on an irregular basis since 2012).

It's my understanding that it isn't greyed out if ebay set up forced IPR on a listing.  But it IS greyed out if the seller checks off the IPR option and if any of the items have free shipping or are on sale. 

Apparently in ebay's mind I wouldn't want to combine shipping if the buyer purchased 3 items and one of them is 10% off. (sarcasm emoji)

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's my understanding that it isn't greyed out if ebay set up forced IPR on a listing.  But it IS greyed out if the seller checks off the IPR option and if any of the items have free shipping or are on sale. 

Apparently in ebay's mind I wouldn't want to combine shipping if the buyer purchased 3 items and one of them is 10% off. (sarcasm emoji)

@pjcdn2005 

@triber 

But what would happen if the buyer wanted to purchase 3 items that were promoted, listing with multiple units, on sale, buyer was using a coupon, 1 item was dot com/1 item was dot ca, they wanted to use a discover card (in Canada...hunky dory in USA) and automatic payment was required and they were using the app? Believe I covered all the potential possible unexceptable options?!? Direct you to Amazon checkout? 😱🤣😬 .  This is what happens when policies trip over policies!!

In explaining to other sellers (and buyers) wondering why checkout doesn't always cooperate, they just shake their heads and understand why it's easier to shop elsewhere. 😥

-Lotz

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have had reliable discussions with buyers, buyer that know what they are doing, I have NEVER used IPR but the buyers report the request total button is greyed out.

Other buyers tell me they can't see the request total button and it is ALWAYS because they are using the APP, when I direct them to use the desktop version they do see and use it.

eBay wants you to set up flat rate combined shipping rules to remove the need for a request total. Unfortunately the combined shipping rules are not flexible enough for my needs.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@4topnotes wrote:

Any insights here?

devon@ebay 

Please address. This is a major concern for many sellers and buyers. And as noted in this thread it has not worked properly for ages.

Thanks,

-Lotz
@

devon@ebay 

@triber 

Due to a helpful notification this was an issue back in June 2022/before and is still an issue.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

It's been an issue since 2012, most of the eBay "blues" have not been around that long, the details have been scrubbed from the help files, the original announcement is no longer available (I've looked through the Internet Archive and other places*).

None of the front line staff eBay really knows about this now hidden policy and most deny it exists or state they have passed it on to the right department where nothing changes (because it's INTENTIONAL).

I've been able to find the Spring 2012 Seller Update but not the Fall 2012 which I belive is the one that had this information.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@recped wrote:

It's been an issue since 2012, most of the eBay "blues" have not been around that long, the details have been scrubbed from the help files, the original announcement is no longer available (I've looked through the Internet Archive and other places*).

None of the front line staff eBay really knows about this now hidden policy and most deny it exists or state they have passed it on to the right department where nothing changes (because it's INTENTIONAL).

I've been able to find the Spring 2012 Seller Update but not the Fall 2012 which I belive is the one that had this information.

Kinda sad we can point out these long standing issues but there is little done to address them. There was never any follow up with this post. It should momentarily do a Get Smart and self destruct as soon as mod pops by and sees it.  I've seen that before with previous announcements being difficult to either locate or have been scrubbed of the original improvement.  Good example was the listing increase for Canadian sellers with basic stores. Was announced (testing my memory) Winter 2020/Spring 2021. Was implemented substantially later than promised. Thanks for clarification. Maybe the creedo should be let the frustration fester until everyone gives out hope of an actual solution.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I recently lost a 100 USD sale because of that. A buyer sent me numerous messages, asking for an invoice, and complaining the combined shipping doesn't work. Even after I promised him any overcharge will be immediately refunded, he abandoned the transaction.  🙄

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

having lost any faith in eBay's ability to "fix" anything and/or provide proper ability to combine purchases for our customers, I mainly use auctiuon format now for my listings to avoid losing my customers over the inability to invoice for multiple purchases. Yes, buyers get as frustrated as us sellers and they just throw in the towel because what is so simple eBay cannot be bothered to provide its sellers with the needed tools to conduct a simple transaction of combining multiple purchases. Any other selling site, large or small can do it, but not eBay.CA!!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi-This happened to me already today. I wrote back nicely explaining it all and told the potential buyer how to proceed and no answer. Pretty sure I lost that sale for three items plus a potential new customer who probably won't bother looking at any of my other items in the future as well.

Please can we get this fixed. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply