Sore point: I'm all about CAD on ebay Canada yet ebay stuffs my data at me in USD

Old wound, new thread.

It is a source of massive irritation to me that all our Sales Records on ebay.ca are displayed in USD.

Two or even three years ago, I asked for justification on this and was told USD was just the way it was. Then ebay Canada switched to CAD-only (with which I was fine, thank you very much) but again I asked if this might mean our ebay.ca Sales Records would finally be shown in our listing and selling currency. No deal.

I list in CAD, I sell in CAD. I am loyal to CAD. I pay my fees in CAD. I pay my taxes on my fees in CAD. Showing me USD Sales totals on my Seller Dashboard is therefore lazy and uninspired programming. ebay already has my data in CAD. I see CAD totals as part of my Selling Manager. (Thank goodness at least for that.) Please use it. 

Anyone else care about this? Or is it just me. 

Sales Records PlusSales Records PlusSeller DashboardSeller Dashboard

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Sore point: I'm all about CAD on ebay Canada yet ebay stuffs my data at me in USD

agreed, ..

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

For the most part, I use dotCA for all my listing...

occasionally when I feel adventuresome, I will use my 50 free listings on dotCOM.

Since it was from dotCOM that approx. 80 of my listings were pirated/scraped/stolen and placed on over 30 .top scam/fraudulent websites, there is little desire or incentive for me to list on dotCOM anymore, except for items like back issue magazines that are of little interest to these scam websites.

So yes, I am now more dedicated to dotCA and when we were forced to list in CAD, that should also have meant that all our stats and data should be in CAD. I don't have many sales on eBay anymore so I rarely have to look at the sales data anyway.

on dotCA,  everything needs to be in CAD and yes, that's the way it should be....

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

What a coincidence!

I was just looking at my sales report to see if last month's report was in yet and was wondering the exact same thing - just two minutes ago!

I list in both currencies but pay fees in CAD.

On would think that whichever currency one uses to pay their fees would be the currency used for the report.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Unfortunately, eBay.COM is the Sun that all eBay Planets revolve around.... 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

They wont even fix the single ebay link on the .ca community board that throws you to .com.  I wouldnt hold my breath for Canadian reports

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@tyler.ebay

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@tobyshitzuwrote:

They wont even fix the single ebay link on the .ca community board that throws you to .com.  I wouldnt hold my breath for Canadian reports

I reported that to Raphael one Weekly Chat. It must have been a year ago at least. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

One of the links for News sends you to the French page. Can I get back to it now? Of course not. Joys of ghosts in the machine!!

-CM

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:

@tobyshitzuwrote:

I reported that to Raphael one Weekly Chat. It must have been a year ago at least. 

No, wait. That was a different mis-link. It was to ebay.com Community from the user 'see all feedback' page on ebay.ca. My mistake. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

You wanted a new thread as this was off topic, so here it is.

When will this be fixed so Canadians get the reports in Canadian dollars?

It is getting sickening to have all the new stuff jammed down our throats, having everything revolve around .com and having .ca left in the cold.

We are not .com, are not in the US, have a whole different situation with shipping than the US does and Ebay refuses to treat us as a separate entity. Why?

If Ebay refuses to treat Canada as a separate Ebay site, why not just close it down and treat us with the privilege of being part of .com (sarcasm intended).

Our chat is handled by .com staff and of course everything is from the .com perspective.

You appartently say you work for .ca but had no idea what reports I was referring to.

If I may ask, what have you done so far in regards to treating Canada as a separate entity as far as Ebay is concerned.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

But if you sell on .com, there are conversion fees from USD to CAD.   Another gobble gobble from Paypei you do not need.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

It is getting sickening to have all the new stuff jammed down our throats, having everything revolve around .com and having .ca left in the cold.

We are not .com, are not in the US, have a whole different situation with shipping than the US does and Ebay refuses to treat us as a separate entity. Why?

If Ebay refuses to treat Canada as a separate Ebay site, why not just close it down and treat us with the privilege of being part of .com (sarcasm intended).

Our chat is handled by .com staff and of course everything is from the .com perspective.

You appartently say you work for .ca but had no idea what reports I was referring to.

If I may ask, what have you done so far in regards to treating Canada as a separate entity as far as Ebay is concerned.

I had every idea of which reports you spoke, but I wasn't going to be baited into derailing a good discussion on the other thread.

First things first: I do work for eBay Canada. I am a Canadian citizen, and I work in Toronto. In fact, there are around thirty of us in this office. These individuals also included Raphael and Rodney, before they moved on.

I'm working from home today, otherwise I'd post a dorky photo to prove it. You can see the CN Tower from our office, and the address of the office is clearly spelled out in eBay's User Agreement, as is legally required. For those who care to dig. It is not a customer storefront, but if you look it up on Google Maps, you'll see that it is a real building with real tenants, and we are some of those tenants. It's a great office, and we all love working here.

First of all: Your complaints are valid. You are a Canadian seller, and you'd like to see your Canadian eBay experience tailored to that fact as much as possible. Of course. That makes 100% sense.

Here's the thing:

As we all know, eBay was started in Silicon Valley. eBay.com was the first site, and it continues to be the main site to this day. Slowly, other country sites launched. eBay Canada in particular launched in 2000, with eBay French Canada launching a few years later.

eBay headquarters is like the "mother ship", if you will, and at the end of the day, we all report back. While many sites run as "different" companies (e.g. eBay Canada is technically a Canadian company that pays Canadian taxes), they are all still managed by headquarters. Like in any company, headquarters makes many of the decisions. The country sites participate in these decisions where warranted, but they have the final say according to what is best for the business as a holistic entity.

As I mentioned, there are thirty of us. So, that means that for every new feature (e.g. Seller Hub), every major change (e.g. USD to CAD), one or more of us needs to have discussions with headquarters. We need to make business cases. We need to talk budget. We need to talk resources. Headquarters wants all eBay country sites to be the best they can be, but with so many country sites to be considered, sometimes things take a little longer to filter down. After all, we operated on USD here on eBay.ca for a long time. This only changed two years ago. I was a part of that change, and it was arguably the biggest change on eBay.ca since it came into existance. It touched so, so many aspects of the business.

Our product managers do most of the fighting for the types of things you've mentioned here. I sit near them, and they work very very hard--some of the longest hours in the office. They fly to and from headquarters many times a year to meet with people who can get things done for us. Some things are done sooner, some things are done later. It all depends on the numbers.

To answer your main question: When Seller Hub comes to Canada this year, and the reporting is added (late 2018 I believe), those will be in CAD. Let me tell you, I have seen the Seller Hub fight from start to finish, and we all really worked hard to get Canadian sellers this feature.

To answer your complaint at large: Sometimes things come later than we'd like for .ca. That's just business. We're always fighting for you, though it might not seem like it to you.

It might not be the answer you're looking for, but it's the truth.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

I had every idea of which reports you spoke, but I wasn't going to be baited into derailing a good discussion on the other thread.

First things first: I do work for eBay Canada. I am a Canadian citizen, and I work in Toronto. In fact, there are around thirty of us in this office. These individuals also included Raphael and Rodney, before they moved on.

I'm working from home today, otherwise I'd post a dorky photo to prove it. You can see the CN Tower from our office, and the address of the office is clearly spelled out in eBay's User Agreement, as is legally required. For those who care to dig. It is not a customer storefront, but if you look it up on Google Maps, you'll see that it is a real building with real tenants, and we are some of those tenants. It's a great office, and we all love working here.

First of all: Your complaints are valid. You are a Canadian seller, and you'd like to see your Canadian eBay experience tailored to that fact as much as possible. Of course. That makes 100% sense.

Here's the thing:

As we all know, eBay was started in Silicon Valley. eBay.com was the first site, and it continues to be the main site to this day. Slowly, other country sites launched. eBay Canada in particular launched in 2000, with eBay French Canada launching a few years later.

eBay headquarters is like the "mother ship", if you will, and at the end of the day, we all report back. While many sites run as "different" companies (e.g. eBay Canada is technically a Canadian company that pays Canadian taxes), they are all still managed by headquarters. Like in any company, headquarters makes many of the decisions. The country sites participate in these decisions where warranted, but they have the final say according to what is best for the business as a holistic entity.

As I mentioned, there are thirty of us. So, that means that for every new feature (e.g. Seller Hub), every major change (e.g. USD to CAD), one or more of us needs to have discussions with headquarters. We need to make business cases. We need to talk budget. We need to talk resources. Headquarters wants all eBay country sites to be the best they can be, but with so many country sites to be considered, sometimes things take a little longer to filter down. After all, we operated on USD here on eBay.ca for a long time. This only changed two years ago. I was a part of that change, and it was arguably the biggest change on eBay.ca since it came into existance. It touched so, so many aspects of the business.

Our product managers do most of the fighting for the types of things you've mentioned here. I sit near them, and they work very very hard--some of the longest hours in the office. They fly to and from headquarters many times a year to meet with people who can get things done for us. Some things are done sooner, some things are done later. It all depends on the numbers.

To answer your main question: When Seller Hub comes to Canada this year, and the reporting is added (late 2018 I believe), those will be in CAD. Let me tell you, I have seen the Seller Hub fight from start to finish, and we all really worked hard to get Canadian sellers this feature.

To answer your complaint at large: Sometimes things come later than we'd like for .ca. That's just business. We're always fighting for you, though it might not seem like it to you.

The problem is that .com is on a continual useless change campaign for what they think is better for Ebay and don't care what we as sellers have to go through.

They never could care less about .ca or problems they create and are always behind with fixes if things ever get fixed.

And yes, I am very blunt and don't like wishy washy non answers.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

Here's the thing:

The problem is that .com is on a continual useless change campaign for what they think is better for Ebay and don't care what we as sellers have to go through.

They never could care less about .ca or problems they create and are always behind with fixes if things ever get fixed.

I'm blunt too, so I actually appreciate your directness, as long as it's respectful.

What you got above wasn't a wishy-washy non-answer--it was probably, literally, the most transparent and accurate answer that can be given. Would "Thank you for your feedback, I'll forward that on to the appropriate teams" have gone over better? Cat Wink

If you're looking for an exact date, I can't give you that until I know when reporting will launch for Seller Hub, and that's all there is to it. I'm not going to give you a bunch of hot air to make you happy, if it isn't truthful.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

Here's the thing:

I'm blunt too, so I actually appreciate your directness, as long as it's respectful.

What you got above wasn't a wishy-washy non-answer--it was probably, literally, the most transparent and accurate answer that can be given. Would "Thank you for your feedback, I'll forward that on to the appropriate teams" have gone over better? Cat Wink

If you're looking for an exact date, I can't give you that until I know when reporting will launch for Seller Hub, and that's all there is to it. I'm not going to give you a bunch of hot air to make you happy, if it isn't truthful.

I do appreciate that, but please read the US chats as well as the Canadian chats to see what I mean by no direct answers to questions and wishy washy.

And just so you know, I do have a .com account as well as a .ca account and Seller Hub did not work and after getting .com help. they turned it off for me and I had to use a work around to fix issues.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

Here's the thing:

I do appreciate that, but please read the US chats as well as the Canadian chats to see what I mean by no direct answers to questions and wishy washy.

And just so you know, I do have a .com account as well as a .ca account and Seller Hub did not work and after getting .com help. they turned it off for me and I had to use a work around to fix issues.

Ah, sorry. Thought you meant my response in particular. 

I hope .ca Seller Hub works better for you, but you'll be able to opt out of it if you prefer not to use it.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

Here's the thing:

I hope .ca Seller Hub works better for you, but you'll be able to opt out of it if you prefer not to use it.

I use a 3rd party listing solution due to having lost faith in Ebay due to implementing too many untested things and creating make work projects for sellers or using the live site for testing.

Plus I can use it on .com, .ca, and different ID's instead of the Ebay way with multiple Seller hubs for multiple ID's and multiple sites

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

That seems fair, and a good solution for you!

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@dutchman48wrote:

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

Here's the thing:

I use a 3rd party listing solution due to having lost faith in Ebay due to implementing too many untested things and creating make work projects for sellers or using the live site for testing.

Plus I can use it on .com, .ca, and different ID's instead of the Ebay way with multiple Seller hubs for multiple ID's and multiple sites

Forgot that Ebay in their wisdom is getting rid of turbo lister which basically did the same thing.

As a programmer and major corporation I would have upgraded TL for proper use instead of all the other stuff specific to each site and ID and at least that would of been a benefit to the sellers.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply