WWYD, would you sell it for more?

I sell on 5 different websites.. I bought a new stove and the storage underneath the oven is 1/2 the size of what I had before, so I have to find room for my pots.  I took a look at what I had and what I use.  Some of the pots/pans I am donating but I have a few collectable items.  These are heavy and not suitable for me to ship, or put on ebay.  

I listed a Vintage Le Creuset Fry Pan Double Spout Skillet #20 Orange 7.5" Enamel in excellent shape for $50.00.  Now within 4 minutes I got a buyer who wants to pick it up tomorrow.  And then a couple more within 10 minutes who said "Next" which I assume to be they are interested in the first person doesn't buy it they are interested.

When something like that happens.  I feel that maybe I priced it too low.  Should I not go through with it and sell it for more later.  I did some ebay research and $50 is a fair price.  But in a store I looked today and the new models are on sale for $150.

WWYD?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I had 5 within an hour interested.  I told the person first on the list I am going to keep it.  I think I will relist it in a few weeks for more.  

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Mmmmmm.

$150 is for new.

No chips, no crazing, no brown marks on the bottom.

Canadian Tire has Le Creuset in their flyer this week.

And of course, it was marked up when you bought it to give the seller a profit.

What is the difference in price between a new sealed CD and a used copy in excellent condition?

Personally I'd take the $50.

YMMV.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Hi Femme, can you get me the link for the one at Canadian Tire.  I couldn't find it anything by LE CREUSET made in France on sale at Canadian Tire. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I did find this one, no wonder she wanted mine for $50.  This is it. 

lecreuset.jpg

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I did find this one at one of the major dept stores for $210 plus tax.  When I relist it, I think that I am going to ask $100.

le creuset.jpg

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I am surprised you would post your game playing on these boards.  You listed it, you should have sold it instead of lying to buyers.

If you do this, what else would you to.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Personally for certain I would sell it for the price it was sold for.

Sometimes it just happens that interested people come in a lump.

Sometimes like here it turns out it was a good deal.

Until you had lots of interest you were happy with $50.....

When you relist it for $100 the person who "won" it last time will likely know, as will the "nexts", they may mention to their friends etc that a given seller dropped and relisted for more, hopefully not on any public forums like this..... the potentially extra $50 isn't worth the risk of a bunch of unhappy potentially vocal folks out there...it is also the kind of thing that drives buyers away from sites.....

I just sold somewhere around 10 of a given stamp that I priced at $9.99 individually.  They all sold within a day of being listed, normally within minutes of being listed. Same as in your situation, I'm sure it means I had them priced too low. I was happy with the $10 each, and I figure the quick turnover helps raise my visibility for other items (aka cassini influence, one never knows).

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

The selling business to me is like a game.  I have stuff that I want to sell for the best price. This particular pan was something I had for 40 years that because of space I have to get rid of some stuff.  I didn't buy it to sell.  I told her that I decided to keep it for now.

I listed it on facebook, not on ebay and I can change my mind and increase the price or decrease the price depending on what others will pay.  Then sometimes buyers when they meet you try to haggle the price down.  In fact right now I am on my way to pick up something from facebook that I bought and did negotiate the price in advance.   Many times I have agreed to meet a buyer and they just didn't show up.  

About the statement about lying to the buyers, She wasn't a buyer, she hadn't made a commitment, she wasn't at my front door with money in hand.  She was interested.  She could have shown up and said No that is not what I am looking for.  It would be different if she showed up and then I said No I have decided to keep it or now I want $100.   This all happened in a space of 1 hour at night on facebook messages. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

This is why I don't like the "other ebay" AKA Kijiji.

My favourite example is an item I "sold" 5 times there and I still had it.

That's why I almost never use Kijiji....

I did break down and sell something last summer and I also had a lot of very quick responses/interest.

All I did with that is let the first potential buyer know that there were 4 others behind her and that our agreed price was firm and firm until the time she was to show up, after that I would move on to the next interested buyer. That worked awesome.

Sadly the 5 times (un)sold item didn't ever generate multiple people interested at the same time...
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

The selling business to me is like a game.  I have stuff that I want to sell for the best price. This particular pan was something I had for 40 years that because of space I have to get rid of some stuff.  I didn't buy it to sell.  I told her that I decided to keep it for now.

I listed it on facebook, not on ebay and I can change my mind and increase the price or decrease the price depending on what others will pay.  Then sometimes buyers when they meet you try to haggle the price down.  In fact right now I am on my way to pick up something from facebook that I bought and did negotiate the price in advance.   Many times I have agreed to meet a buyer and they just didn't show up.  

About the statement about lying to the buyers, She wasn't a buyer, she hadn't made a commitment, she wasn't at my front door with money in hand.  She was interested.  She could have shown up and said No that is not what I am looking for.  It would be different if she showed up and then I said No I have decided to keep it or now I want $100.   This all happened in a space of 1 hour at night on facebook messages. 

So let Facebook spread the same info,

You listed it at a price that someone wanted it at and you backed out

Same thing no matter where you do it. It makes you look bad.

I would not deal with a seller that does that and have stopped buying from many that play that sort of game. You are now on that list.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

If FB is anything like Kijiji I'd absolutely sell if for more if you think you can.  (You might be wrong about that but that's another story.)

Kijiji "etiquette" is nothing like eBay and I suspect FB is exactly the same.

It's pretty much a free for all on Kijiji.  Constant no shows.  Endless messaging for reductions upon reductions upon reductions until you're giving the stuff away.  Constant negotiating for price only to be asked to deliver or ship for free when you've arrived at an agreed upon price.

Why should "rules of honour" apply only to sellers?  

They don't.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

If FB is anything like Kijiji I'd absolutely sell if for more if you think you can.  (You might be wrong about that but that's another story.)

Kijiji "etiquette" is nothing like eBay and I suspect FB is exactly the same.

It's pretty much a free for all on Kijiji.  Constant no shows.  Endless messaging for reductions upon reductions upon reductions until you're giving the stuff away.  Constant negotiating for price only to be asked to deliver or ship for free when you've arrived at an agreed upon price.

Why should "rules of honour" apply only to sellers?  

They don't.

You just made the same list.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

You're right-- It was Lagostina. Their dutch ovens sell for $349 regularly.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

It was not a sold item until I have cash in hand.  Person was interested.  

WWYD?  You have a painting that you are selling for $10, a person said they were interested.  You find out the painting is worth $2 million, are you going to sell it for $10?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

It was not a sold item until I have cash in hand.  Person was interested.  

Absolutely true.  When buyers on FB and Kijiji negotiate a price with a seller that is in no way a commitment to buy.  They are free to continue searching for an item they like better and virtually all shoppers do exactly that.

Buyers and sellers are not committed the way they are on eBay etc. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the price when new information comes to light.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Maybe do better research before listing instead of trying to justify cancelling.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Yes, that is true, next time I will do better research.  

However I would like to hear from dutchman and ricarmic as to what they would do to my question?

WWYD?  You have an old dirty painting that you had in the basement, posted it to facebook for $10 and a person said they were interested, maybe even a couple of people.   Your facebook friend emails you and says that he thinks the painting is worth a lot of money.   You do some checking and find out the painting is worth $2 million, are you going to sell it for $10?

If not, why not, what is the difference with me?  

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

My blank response was an accident, but then I realized it was true, I had nothing more to say.

I answered the original $50/$100 question.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply