What do you do when someone emails you asking for a lower price?

One of my CD's is very rare, nothing on amazon, discogs etc.  I have the only one listed per google.  This is a Canadian artist who is now deceased.  I have had it listed for a year because it is so rare and accordingly have the price over $60 USD.  I put it on sale 15% off recently because  it has been on over a year and that is about the lowest I will accept at this point maybe a couple of dollars less but not much.   

So a potential buyer emailed me stating that he is a collector and can not justify the price for a CD and wanted it cheaper. 

There have been many views and a few watchers on this CD.  I recently sold a few of this artists CD's.   One I sold for $25 and the other for $16.

How do I respond to this person?  He/she has never purchased anything from me before, he provides limited feedback to the sellers if at all.  

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: What do you do when someone emails you asking for a lower price?

People message me all the time saying things like, "I bought a similar one last year for $10. I'll tell you what, I'll give you $20 because I'm a collector, but no more. There just isn't a market for these since the internet."

To which I usually reply, "Thank you for your interest. As a collector you are no doubt aware that these typically sell between $200-$300 at regional auctions houses and $400-$500 retail. My best price stands at $175. If I may say so, a more than fair price. And remember, that's $175 with no buyer premiums or tax."

Depending on their feedback record, attitude or how low their offer they also may be blocked. If the offer was low but not insulting I'll state my case and move on. Sometimes they buy. As long as their feedback is good I try and get over any annoying condescension and make the sale; i know what my selling terms are and stick with them.

A substantial portion of my sales are purchased from an offer; most are reasonable and fair to both parties.

Occasionally there is that one buyer who will spend months complaining about an items cost with repeated low-ball offers and how its only worth a fraction what I'm asking. These I don't understand at all. They get blocked and typically the item sells for the asking price.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Being in the business a long time I am used to people negotiating prices and do expect it but at times it's over the top.  Some do not know when to stop and are very persistent to the point of being a total pain and at times is quite insulting

Every one wants a deal but it does not mean one has the right to  beat someone especially when they know the price is fair to begin with

I am so tired of folk doing that with me that's why I don't get to into it. I know what it feels like. Those who do it develop a bad name and folk do not want to deal with them. Most don't mind one asking as long as they know it is not going to become a hassle

I do a local market. Over the last few years it has become the norm for people to try and keep beating prices

Last summer a woman who has been a dealer for years decided to leave the business. Brought her stock out at 50% off the marked price.   Some items even at 50% off were still close to the line that one could make a profit.  But many items allowed one to still make money heck with some of her listed prices you still could.    I started buying from her and was pleased to  pay those prices. The were incredibly fair.  Some though started the game of bundling ( I hate the term Bundling  a fake term made up by reality shows. I had never heard of that term before American Pickers) and then started trying to get a better price. Ridiculous.

I had a few tell me I should try that. Looked at them and said why? these prices at 50% off are great I am not interested in Beating her.   In fact if I had seen some of these at her starting price I would buy them

A number did not like me saying that especially the ones doing it

She looked at me and said okay I will keep the same prices and smiled 

After others had left she smiled and said just kidding on the price and thanked me  she was being driven nuts

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

If someone is a serious buyer their offer will be reasonable. From past experience, most of my low-ball offers have been from someone planning to resell. Quite often, their feedback history is a dead giveaway. I've even had a few folks suggest I price match on NIP electronics, with Visions/C Tire. I just let them know I don't have that kind of buying power and they eventually go away to harass someone else. If they do happen to return, down the road, I have their previous emails safely hidden away for refreshing my memory.

-Lotz

Message 23 of 23
latest reply