12 REPLIES 12

Re: Whats next.

Interesting article. Have to see how that plays out or if it even causes a ripple.

On a side note the other day I was in one of the more well known stationary chains attempting to purchase a part for my computer. In the past, not a problem. Unfortunately, was a very limited selection available in store and not the one I was really looking for. Most of the particular item part I was looking for was only available online. The explanation from the sales associate, The River Place has what they were selling at much better pricing and they felt a good percentage of what they previously carry, was not worth the time and trouble. So to follow that, are Bricks & Mortar stores going to be disappearing at a very rapid pace in the future? Starting to look that way.  Where will eBay fit into the overall picture and their "competition"?  (Last statement made tongue in cheek! Personally, for the majority of my shopping requirements, I still want to go into a store and be able to see selection/prices and to buy on the spot. When I truly can't find something in a store am I going to be forced to buy online because no one has stock and have the joy of waiting? And then if it arrives damaged have to worry about returns? Strange days indeed!!!

-CM

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Amazon tried to poach me a 3-5 months ago and they contacted me directly to my email address on three separate occasions (I've never purchased anything from them before). They offered to migrate my listings from eBay onto their platform. 

I thought about it but I really didn't like their selling format, lack of movie memoriliblia related collectibles and the long delays in getting paid.

I also have my own fully functioning ecommerce website so I didn't really need another selling platform to worry about.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Very interesting, I wonder how they got your email address. Bought something of yours as a ruse and used what’s registered to PayPal ? eBay sellers aren’t allowed to use a buyer’s email address to sign customers up for newsletters they didn’t ask to receive but I didn’t think of that exchange of information from the other perspective although I have had a handful of buyers in the past use it to ask to take future business straight through PayPal. Like a fraction of one percent. Something eBay will curtail with Managed Payments.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

They're not? Wow. So, they actually put your email in to their store so you get spammed? Not surprised. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I wonder if it was a random spam (possibly not even really fr AZ). Or if eBay in their eternal dumbness sold a list to some third party who resold it to AZ?
Has anyone else seen anything recruiting for AZ?
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The two formats are wildly different.
I’m not sure migrating could even be done.
And I have never seen any AZ recruiting public or personal.
I wonder if it was a third party even aphisher?
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946

@momcqueen

I believe your right, it may have been a third party looking for business... for Amazon perhaps? or just a coincidence.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It was indeed a third party and not an official AZ message.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

If it was a third-party doing the recruitment, how can ebay sue Amazon for that? The 'recruiter' was merely selling their own company software which looked to be one of the many migration tools out there. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:
The two formats are wildly different.
I’m not sure migrating could even be done.
And I have never seen any AZ recruiting public or personal.

AZ does have recruiters.

I've dealt with them before. But never as an attempt to recruit my ebay account.

I have no doubts overzealous (or job anxious) AZ employees did exactly as claimed, using the eBay mail system to generate some possible leads (to make their work quota for AZ).

-..-

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

It was indeed a third party and not an official AZ message.

Come to think of it, for the past few months I've had occasional pestering emails from people claiming to be able to migrate my listings.   I don't know how they get through my email spam filter, but they do.  They appear to be bona fide businesses trying to drum up clients, but their blandishments are just too cute by half to fall for.   In the trash they go. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Likewise I've found this sort of thing usually low level involving programmers trying to sell services for scraping your listings and importing into Amazon. It's the sort of thing you often get when you setup a website. It does however make for great cover for poor YOY growth.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply